MD Baltimore Sheraton City Center

frugola
By frugola,
in

Got the Wyndham Inn Harbor hotel for a priceline bid for $53 for 2 nights. After reading horrible reviews of this hotel on tripadvisor, was a little nervous. Ended up being pleasantly surprised.

Checkin took less than 5 minutes and we were cheerfully given 2 double beds in nonsmoking. Never waited more than 30 seconds for an elevator. The room was in fine condition for a 3 star inner city that has 700 rooms and lots of turnover. The beds were comfortable and housekeeping was reasonably thorough.

We were an easy 10 minute walk to the inner harbor. I had read about panhandlers, but only encountered one during the whole weekend. Tourism is obviously a big deal, and there was always a strong police presence, which probably cut down on the panhandling aspect. If you stay out late at night, just grab a cab back to the hotel. Daytime is absolutely no problem. It's also walking distance to the Lexington Market, filled with working people and lots of good and offbeat (one counter specializes in rabbit parts) food choices. The three of us had a huge breakfast for $7 total.

The big negative is the parking fee - $27 a night, with in and out privileges. There are other lots nearby cheaper, but no in and out privileges. The other negative is the constant presence of sirens in the city - not a good way to make the tourists feel secure, at times it reminded me of my reading about postwar Berlin.

Anyway for a Priceline hotel, we were happy as clams.

• 4 months later...

Stayed 2/26/05 Saturday Night.

Not bad at all and for the PL price of $49 or 63 after taxes and fee.

It is about 7 blocks from the inner-harbor. I don't think that is too bad, but I am a 6'-2" male. Something closer would have been better, but not for twice the price.

The Good:

Changing from a single Queen non-smoking to 2 double non-smoking high up for a more interesting view was easy. The guest representative made the change with a smile. Elevator was fine (North Tower). Although room was not filled with new furnishings, it was clean.

The Bad:

The water pressure for the shower would fluctuate between very weak and nothing. And when I say nothing, I really mean it STOPPED!

Bonus:

The garage attendant gave me a free token for parking.

The hotel was hosting an Au pair conference.

Great way to check out the Baltimore bars while avoiding a DUI.

• 2 months later...

Stayed here one night post cruise for $50 through Priceline May 2005. Taxi from cruise ship terminal to hotel cost only $15! Hotel has quite a large lobby with bellstand, concierge, and restaurants. We were pleasantly allowed to check in early at ll:00 AM and given a nonsmoking queen on the sixth floor in the South Tower. The hotel seems to do quite a brisk convention business--we passed at least two large group meetings on our way to the elevators, and there are quite a few pay phone booths. There are three elevators in the South Tower, only two of which were actually working, and those two seemed rather clunky. Also the UP button is burned out so was constantly being pressed by everyone who showed up for the elevators. We were immediately advised by other guests (who had learned through bitter experience) that we should hop on any elevator that showed up no matter which way it was going because they were so slow it might not show up again for ten minutes. That being said we were very fortunate in never having to wait long for an elevator when we wanted to go up to our room. When we left our room to go down it was no problem to just take the stairs. Upon entering our room there was a large closet with mirrored sliding doors to the immediate right and a bathroom directly in front. The bathroom is rather poorly laid out--very little counter space and the small set of shelves provided for extra storage were situated behind the racks for your face and hand towels! The hair dryer was fixed rather high on the wall and near the toilet so when I used it I had to stand bent awkwardly over the toilet, which ended up being covered with hair. Shampoo, soap, and conditioner were Golden Door brand products. Also provided was a small shower cap and shoe buffing cloth (yes, my husband tends to pick up just about everything we are entitled to). hot water was VERY hot and the bathroom seemed clean except for a few splotches near the toilet that looked as though someone had accidentally dropped some nail polish on the tile floor. Bathroom had only one sink, a shower/tub combo, and one of those timed heat lamps. Room had coffee maker on top of one of those mini bars that charges you if you even move one of the items so was too paranoid to check out the contents. TV in armoire next to that with extra drawers for storage. Other furniture included an armchair, reading lamp, and small table. Desk equipped with internet access (which we did not use) and Herman Miller chair. We had an excellent view of the Radisson across the street.

Hotel is an easy, leisurely 10-15 minute stroll to the Inner Harbor which has about every major chain restaurant represented so we did not eat in either of the hotel restaurants. Did not meet any panhandlers and there were enough other pedestrians in the Inner Harbor we were able to avoid two persistent gentlemen who kept trying to hand out some kind of small book and yelled "Book!" while they followed people around. We are the furthest thing from exciting people so when we headed back to the hotel about 8:30 PM there was still plenty of activity so we did not feel unsafe in the least. Hotel offered valet parking but probably due to the conventions there the valet lot was full on both the day we checked in and the day we checked out.

Only two quibbles with the hotel. The day we were getting ready to check out (check out time is 12 noon) about 10 AM a housekeeper came and knocked on our door to see if she could clean the room! I told her we would be about 15 minutes and then shut the door. I then heard her knocking on our neighbor's door, which brings me to the other problem with the hotel--it seems to be poorly soundproofed. We had a connecting room and could clearly hear our neighbors come in about 10:30 that night and then indistinct talking and laughing until they left again about 30 minutes later. All night I could hear a strange rattling, squeaking kind of noise coming from the wall behind the bed. The noise was impossible to identify and though it kept recurring at odd intervals all night it was not disturbing enough to keep up awake. Otherwise our stay was a pleasant one.

• 1 year later...

Stayed here 10/20 to 10/22/06 for the Red Bull Flutag at Inner Harbor. Got the hotel on Priceline for $83/night. Had read some horror stories about this hotel and almost blew this weekend off. So glad we didn't - pleasantly surprised - the lobby is beautiful. We stayed on the 3rd floor in the South Tower. Room was plenty big w/two queen beds, nightstand between, large TV, two sitting chairs w/table, desk w/chair. Bathroom was large, good shower. The only "ick" was that the vents REALLY needed dusting. I wore white socks and the bottoms were not "that" dirty after walking around a bit (did that in Disney World and they were black.) Walk to the Harbor area not bad at all, although coming home after walking around all day - it is an uphill climb. Staff was very nice, no problems w/valet (charged $30.24 for one full overnight.) Was easy to get to and easy to get out. Now, if someone could only do something about the traffic jams/construction on 95 North/South.

• 2 weeks later...

This hotel needs a major overhaul. The room i had on the 17th floor had large water stain on the ceiling. Room is very dark and need more lighting. Left a note to replace a defective iorn and it never came. The furniture was very old and was chipped. Surpriesed the bathroom had a phone but no dial tone.

Terriable hotel imo. Location is not good althuogh down the street is a Walgreens if you need anything.

Would have been nice if they had Free use of computers etc But had a PAID business center as well.

• 3 months later...

I just stayed there this weekend, 2/17 with a $45 win. Rooms nicely remodeled. My King room was a little on the small side. My one pet peeve was the lack of lighting, only a lamp on one side of the bed and tall lamp near window. When I entered the room there was no light switch, room completely dark. I had to feel my way to the bathroom to turn on light. Tiny, tiny bathroom but clean and somewhat updated. They skimped on linens (cheap feeling sheets, no down comforter, duvet) and bed (hard). The 32' LCD mounted TV was a nice touch, provided more counter and drawer space. They charged me for Valet parking ($33!), I called down and the removed it. Maybe they just assumed? I parked overnight across the street for $15.

• 3 years later...

Note that this is the Sheraton City Center Baltimore and not the Sheraton Inner Harbor Baltimore.

We booked directly with the hotel, using the Johns Hopkins Hospital rate (we both had appointments at JH clinics), though I have seen reports from people using both Priceline and Hotwire who have stayed there. When I tried to e-ail thehotel to upgrade to a Club-level room, the message bounced back as undeliverable, so I contacted Sheraton's central reservation offices. Soon I heard from the hotel, saying they'd upgrade us at no additional charge. Got a corner room on the 23rd floor. It was very large and comfortable. Bathroom small, but served its purpose. Also got access to the Club Lounge and free Wi-Fi. Free continental breakfast was available in the lounge (one morning when the lounge was closed, guests were advised that they'd get $10 or so value in the restaurant downstairs). All hotel personnel we dealt with were friendly and helpful. Some reviews remarked critically on the neighborhood, but we had no problem with it. We walked 10-15 minutes to the Inner Harbor in the early evening (early November) and felt quite safe. During the day, walked to nearby stores and a bank.

As with many of the hotels in the downtown and Inner Harbor areas, parking is not cheap: nearly $20 for self-parking (around the corner) and over $25 for valet. Restaurant off the lobby used to be an upscale Shula's Steak House, but is now a Shula's 2 "sports bar." I had an excellent blue cheese hamburger for dinner; my wife's fish was okay. As mentioned, we also had one breakfast there. Theere are a number of restaurants, including at the Inner Harbor, within walking distance. We would return to this hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]