LAX Los Angeles --> ORD OHare

earlthepearlferrell
By earlthepearlferrell,
in

I know that Priceline can give me one connection if it chooses to, but do the taxes give you any indication whether the flight would stop or not? On Orbitz, non-stop with no fees, the taxes are about $21. For a priceline bid, the taxes would be about $28. Would this be the $21 + Priceline fees, and does this mean I would get a non-stop flight? From Burbank (where there has to be a connection to O'Hare), the taxes are about $37 (extra $9 or $10). How reliable is the tax test?

July 10th to July 15th, retail about $340 (I would have booked this a month ago when retail was $219 if I knew I definitely wanted to go).

You would only be able to use the tax info to your benetif if PRICELINE gave you a counter-offer to accept or not as that would show a breakdown of the ticket cost... when you first submit a bid and are shown the initial page to review your information before submitting your bid, PRICELINE has done no checking of inventory or prices and would therefore have no idea at this point if you'd be looking at a non-stop or layover itinerary.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Your thougth process would seem logical and it also seems sensible based upon the itinerary (if commencing the flight during off-peak hours are you really gonig to be connecting someplace and having a layover?)

As with anything PRICELINE, never any guarantees :) and i'd encourage anyone who does a fare amount of airfare bidding to chime in with their own thoughts as well.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I may creep up my bid a bit. If I got a $198 + tax counter, I can only hope that it's like hotel bidding where I can undercut that a bit. The fact that United and American both have hubs in Chicago should increase the likelihood of a non-stop flight, though off-peak could mean it lands at 12:47am (after 12:30am) or takes off at around 11pm (after 10pm) and landing around 4:30am Chicago time. I would love the 12:47am landing, though the 4:30am landing would have to be a good price for it to be worthwhile. Even if I could check my 32 pound 2 1/3 year old, I think United would still charge me extra! I will use the PRICELINE link and post any upcoming result.

I just used the PRICELINE link and bid 140/ticket and had the same $28.65 in taxes. Priceline offered me the same counter (off peak hours) at $198 + the $28 and change in taxes. When I declined it and said that I would be willing to fly during off peak hours, the taxes suddenly went up to $37.75/ticket. This has connection written all over it compared to the earlier taxes. I would prefer to avoid the flight back at 5:15am from ORD to PHX which connects to LAX on Useless errr US Airways. I think I'll actually consider the 198 + tax counter and hope for the nonstop that gets in at 12:47am to ORD. The return would be during regular hours. I just have to be 100% willing to accept a red-eye that could land Saturday at 4:44am on United.

• 2 weeks later...

So the retail fare skyrocketed to 447, causing the Priceline fare to go to 281. I bid 280 and was rejected. I declined their off peak hours, then they gave me my flight for that same 281 with no red-eye.

United, 2 seats, nonstop

4:50 departure Friday 7/10

8:05 departure Thursday 7/16 on the return

When I tried the link, it said Midway was the best deal and wanted 37.75 in taxes even to O'Hare, so I'll have to just use the PRICELINE link for the hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]