Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Medicine Hat Ramada Limited

calla
By calla,
in

Driving to the Rockies and need an over-night stay in Medicine Hat, Alberta. Date is July 9/09 for 2 people. Hotwire is showing a 2.5* with these amenities: breakfast, pool, high speed internet. Rate $64/night. No information on this city in old posts. Any ideas?

I need one night in Medicine Hat as we travel to the Rockies. Hotels are limited in this city. Priceline is showing 1 and 2 star hotels available with the average rate of $91. Hotwire shows a 2.5* for $64. Could I bid on the 2* Priceline hotel for less than the Hotwire price (say $50) and end up with roughly the same quality hotel (if the bid is accepted)? Any idea what hotel I would get with Priceline?

Unfortunately, no hotels in this area have been reported as a win on either PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. In terms of HOTWIRE, there are a few different properties in the area that offer those amenities. I would recommend bidding on the 2* at $50. If $50 isn't accepted, $55, if $55 isn't accepted $60 and if $60 isn't accepted you have the $64 2.5* HOTWIRE.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links, and it would be greatly appreciated if you could let us know the results so we can add a new hotel for this area on the site's PRICELINE/HOTWIRE listings.

Any idea what hotel I would get with Priceline?

If you go to MAPS and HOTELS.com and enter Medicine Hat, Alberta you can see hotels in this area and compare them to the boundaries of the PRICELINE zone.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am sad to report my disappointment with Priceline and Hotwire. I made a Priceline bid on a 2* in Medicine Hat for July 9th (2 people). Bid $51 (average price quoted was $92). Got rejected. So I decided to go with a 2 1/2* listed on Hotwire. Amenities were: breakfast, pool, high speed internet. Most of the hotels in Medicine Hat list these same amenities. The hotel I got was the Ramada Limited. Trip Advisor rates this hotel 1* and it is ranked #12 out of 15! Hotels.com, Priceline and Expedia all list this hotel as a 2*. Not sure how Hotwire ranked this as a 2 l/2*. To make matters worse, the price I am paying is $89 after taxes and fees. The Ramada website offers the same room for $83. So I am not a happy customer!! I realize Priceline/Hotwire come with risks, but this is the first time I gambled and lost. I did use the HOTWIRE link. At least you can add this hotel to your inventory, but I would definitely not classify it as a "winning bid"!!

Sorry to hear you're disappointed in the results.

HOTWIRE often takes their rating as an average of the 'major players' in the industry and unforunately the ratings are split for this property:

Orbitz: 3*

Expedia: 2*

Travelocity: 2.5*

So if you average the above you get HOTWIRE's 2.5* rating. If you feel strongly enough you can call HOTWIRE and 'challenge' the star rating, siting the other services have for this property.

Thank you for using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase and sharing your results with the board, helping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List, which i'm sure will help future users in their own travel plans.

Hope your stay goes better than you anticipate.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I did contact Hotwire by phone and gave the details of my purchase and requested a re-evaluation of the star level. Hotwire responded by e-mail that they felt it was a fair rating based on their research. I replied to their e-mail with my research and asked that it be forwarded to the individual's supervisor for review. I pointed out that Orbitz was the only site that rated this hotel a 3* and they had no customer reviews. End result - Hotwire appreciates my business and offered a full refund or a $25 credit on my Hotwire account. It may have helped that I mentioned I would be posting their response on this website. I tried to find a better deal and couldn't, so I opted for the $25 credit. 2* Days Inn, Comfort Inn, Best Western, etc. were all over $150/night. Hotwire has forwarded my e-mails to the department that rates hotels for a full review. They also acknowledged that Hotwire seems to work differently in smaller Canadian communities because so many of the hotels are privately owned franchises, which is different than the US hotel chains. I'll give this hotel a fair chance and will post a review when I return.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]