Priceline Hotel: One down ~ Two to go!

toliverair
By toliverair,
in

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my Goodness! You are a lifesaver! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the Subway info. Hopefully, after Sunday we will get the hang of it.......the Subway is extremely intimidating to me but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it (a little!)

I'm planning on keeping a journal so I won't forget the important stuff that I need to report on here when I get home. That's the least that I can do after you guys have helped me so much.

We're leaving tomorrow so I won't be talking to you guys for a few days. I'll check in when I can. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

We arrived home Sunday from the best trip we have ever taken! Guys, New York City is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!! I have to admit, I was beginning to think that I would not enjoy NYC very much....Man, was I wrong!

Every time I would turn around I would be thinking about how much the advice I received on this website was helping me out! I honestly don't think my trip would have been the same without it!

When we arrived at Penn Station on Sunday, we purchased Unlimited MetroCards and went straight to the Westin New York in Times Square. We didn't want to leave! This hotel is beyond words! I can't say enough good about it....The staff, the decor, the HEAVENLY BEDS are ALL that! When we finally came back to the hotel that night, we were SOOOO Tired from all of that walking and those beds were a very welcoming sight! I'm sure there are other places as good in NYC to stay...but I can assure you there are none that are better. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

We went to Brooklyn Tabernacle for the 12:00 service and was blown away by the choir! Then to Juniors for Dinner. We thought about Grimaldis but we were all too hungry for just pizza so we decided, after asking several people, that we would try Juniors. The food was excellent and the cheesecake was DIVINE! Then we walked the Brooklyn Bridge in heels! We had dressed up for the church service and we shouldn't have. My feet had never know such pain! Next time I'll either dress down or at least take an extra pair of shoes for changing into afterwards. We then took the Staten Island Ferry round trip so we could see Lady Liberty. She was Gorgeous! Then we went to Ground Zero at night. We were a little dissappointed in what you could see here. They have the fences so far back that you really don't get a 'feel' for anything here. Wouldn't have missed it though. Then took the subway back to hotel. The subways were great. Never once did we fell unsafe anywhere in New York City. This was a huge surprise to me!

Tuesday we checked out of the hotel and let them watch our luggage while we ate breakfast around the corner at the Europa Cafe. I wanted to go try Essa Bagel but was out voted! When you're with 11 other people, you don't get to do everything you want. The Europa Cafe was really, really good. I had a bagel with strawberry cream cheese on half and vegetable cream cheese on the other half. We also had a Ham, egg and cheese croissant that was delicious. We then went back and retrieved our luggage and walked to Comfort Inn Midtown to check in. This hotel was okay if you hadn't have seen the Westin! After staying at the Westin, this hotel was JUNK. I would have paid the extra $300 (for 2 nights) in a heartbeat. But there were two (and maybe three) other couples that wouldn't have. They thought, since we weren't going to be in the rooms that much, that the Comfort Inn would do nicely. The other Three couples (did I mention that I was included in this number?!) would have gladly paid the difference. Anyway, we then went to Central Park. This was Awesome! We loved the walk through this park. We took some great Pictures here. One of the guys with us is a professional photographer. He had a heyday in Central Park! We then took a Subway to TRY to find Catz Deli! This was an adventure! I didn't have an address so I ask a million people if they knew where it was....NO ONE had ever heard of it! So I was thinking that it was down by the south seaport area. We ended up there and couldn't find it anywhere. I finally went in the body shop and found a guy that thought it was on Houston st. (pronounced House-ton street by New Yorkers!) SOOOOOOOO......we took a bus to Houston st. When we got off, we said something to the driver about it taking us so long to find it.....He said, "Well, it's worth the wait!" So then we knew we were on the right track. It was one of our favorite places in NYC! The butcher that waited on us was Fabulous! It was an experience that none of us would take anything for. Thanks for telling us about it, Thereuare! BYW, I had a Rueben with Pastrami! It was to die for! We then went to Canal street. Now, I'm wondering why in the world you guys failed to tell us about Canal Street? We meet some people at the hotel that told us about Canal Street or we would have never know about it. I'm not scolding you guys, I just think from now on you might want to mention it when you are giving advice about the city. We had an absolute ball here. We bought purses, watches, perfume, great things for the kids, hats, hoodies, t-shirts, scarves, etc...... But the funnest part was the 'dealing'. We ended up coming back on Tuesday b/c we didn't get finished on Monday. After this, we went back to the hotel to drop off our packages and then to Carmines for our dinner reservation. Carmines was our Very Favorite Restaurant in NYC. The food was good but the restaurant was outstanding! We had a round table for twelve and had wonderful time. Some of our fondest memories were made here. We arrived at 8:00 and were seated immediately....no wait at all. After this, we walked to Fox news and then to democracy square and on to the Empire State Building. It was Gorgeous to see at night and no wait at all. We then took a Limo back to the hotel b/c our feet were once again in excruciating pain and agony! I said if I ever move to NYC, I'll put in the most comfortable shoe store ever on several busy corners and I'll make bookoos of Moolah! I would have paid big bucks for some!

Tuesday we ate breakfast at the hotel and then spent some time at Grand Central Station before going back to Canal street and Century 21. We ate at Bubba Gumps before going to see Fiddler on the Roof. This was a great experience! It was a wonderful show and none of us were disappointed. Thanks, Katiesmom, for recommending this one to us. We then walked through Times Square to check out the street entertainers and went for dessert and coffee before going back to the hotel.

We had to leave early Wednesday morning for JFK. We took the Subway to Rockaway Beach and then took the Air train from there. It was an easy trip out to the airport. BYW, the subway was a breeze to figure out. We had no problem at all except the doors closed extremely fast and one of our guys actually got caught in one, or rather, his bags were caught! He had some people help him and he finally got loose! The People in NYC were extremely friendly....I don't know why they have such a bad rap about being unfriendly.....we didn't meet anyone that was rude and unkind. We also got to ride the Subway on the 100th Anniversary! We thought that was kinda cool!

I know this is detailed but I wanted to let you guys know what all that we did while we were in your great City! I can't wait to get back! We are already trying to decide when we can schedule another trip!

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask!

Again, 'Thanks' just seems pathetic after all of the help you guys gave me. You'll never know how much I appreciated it!

Narissa

Thanks for the re-cap... glad to hear you had a good great time!

Will be sure to include Canal St. for future recommendations. Did you make it to Chinatown or Little Italy when you were in this area at all (even just to walk around)?

Let us know when you'll be coming back again!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We went through Chinatown and Little Italy by bus only. I know that you had recommended for us to walk through here Sunday Night but after seeing it, several of us agreed that we would have been a little leary to do that. Out of all the areas we were in, this looked to be the most creepy part of the city. Oh, we did see some pretty funky places while taking the Subway out to JFK. The most memorable was the thousand year old cemetary! Have any of you guys seen that? Honestly, there were at least a million tombstones......they were neck and neck, literally......out in overgrown swampy fields right in the middle of town. This had to be some movie set or something, it was unbelievable!

I'll definitely let you know when I return...........makes me feel good that you would want me to.......after the nuisance that I've been! :) Just makes me know that you guys really are the greatest!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]