By embguy,
in

Please help ID this 3* hotel at USW with the following:

- Boutique Hotel

- Fitness Center

- Restaurant(s)

- Business Center

- High-speed Internet Access

My 3 kids (12, 16, 18) will be traveling with both of us. But HOTWIRE allows max 4 people in a room. Are the San Francisco hotels allows 5 people in a room? I am also trying to use PRICELINE to book two rooms.

What dates are you searching?

How many adults and children are you searching on?

Finding a room that will accomodate five people in downtown SF is going to be difficult. I definitely wouldn't use Priceline for this, unless you plan to book two rooms, as you could win a room with just one bed. Even if you get a room with two beds they might be two double beds (not queens or kings), and three people would have to share one smallish bed, or someone sleep on the floor.

If you want the whole family in one room you might look at booking a hotel with suites conventionally, or book a hotel known to have large rooms that can accomodate two beds plus a rollaway.

I see now that you included your dates, July 7-15. Sorry about that.

But I don't see the hotel you asked about still being offered on HOTWIRE.

Would Fisherman's Wharf area work for you? I ask because checking on 2 adults/2 children I see a 3.5* at $99 and a 3* at $88, both in Fisherman's Wharf.

That still leaves a questions of how to sleep the fifth person.

My budget is around $150 per day. Today, I started multi-zone biding on PRICELINE for 2 rooms between July 7-15. I am searching for Hotwire as a backup.

I found out that the transporation union convention (500 rooms) is between July 2-9. I may have trouble getting cheap room for the July 7-8 nights.

Since you're bidding for two rooms don't forget about Priceline's $100 Bonus Cash deal. Book two rooms at the same time on one reservation and get $100 towards future PRICELINE purchases. See the "Priceline Bonus Cash" link (in red), in the upper right hand corner of BB's homepage for full terms.

500 rooms isn't a large convention for SF, but an 8-night stay is often harder to win than two shorter stays.

$150/night is $75 per room. If you're don't get accepted at $75 for eight nights I think you'll have a better chance if you can split this: 4/4, 5/3, 3/5. You could apply the $100 Bonus Cash from the first reservation towards the second reservation.

Good luck!

With 5 people, you may want to consider a suite/apartment type hotel, especially since you are staying for more than a week. Grosvenor House Suites has 2 bedrooms and the Gaylord Suites have studios, one bedrooms and possibly two bedrooms. I have stayed at both of these properties and they are conveniently located and quite nice. Also consider the Donatello and Powell Place - they are timeshare properties that rent by the week.

Those are great suggestions, Gallus50.

With all the hotels in downtown SF it's surprising none of the popular suite brands---Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, Homewood Suites, etc---has a presence in the area.

The suite hotels you mention serve the same function but it's a little more work finding them since their names aren't as well known.

With 5 people, you may want to consider a suite/apartment type hotel, especially since you are staying for more than a week. Grosvenor House Suites has 2 bedrooms and the Gaylord Suites have studios, one bedrooms and possibly two bedrooms. I have stayed at both of these properties and they are conveniently located and quite nice. Also consider the Donatello and Powell Place - they are timeshare properties that rent by the week.

Thanks for the suggestions. I booked the Grosvenor House Suites with 2 queens and 1 sofa bed for $142/night + tax. 48 hours cancellation. This will be my backup when I cannot get my PRICELINE rooms using links in this forum.

The Gaylord Suites is $500 per week or $700 per week for newly renovated suites.

According to reviews, these two properties may not have A/C. This will be bad in San Fransico in July...

Actually. embguy, it's fairly rare to need air conditioning in San Francisco in the summer. I lived there for several years and visit twice a year, and summer is typically cooler than Sept/Oct. Many times I was caught coming from the East Bay in tank tops only to freeze in the city. In mornings and evenings, you will probably need cardigans and something covering your legs. There was a heat wave one time while I was visiting, but it was a very rare incident. With fans and open windows, it was fine.

From neighborhood to neighborhood, it can vary. While the Mission is sunny/warm, the Sunset can be cold and foggy - just a few miles away. Really. So bring layers....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]