Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (Times Square-Theatre District) Crowne Plaza

TX-Traveller
By TX-Traveller,
in

I'm interested in a hotel near Times Square (actually, 48th and Broadway) for the weekend of August 13-16. The biggest concern for me is that we'll be there with our kids and need 2 double beds (or rollways). Since Priceline only guarantees a room that sleeps 2 adults, that is a worry. In other major cities I've usually not been concerned because I can bid on a 3-4* hotel and know that there is a 95% chance I can get a double/double if I ask for it (I've only missed once in years of bidding). In NYC, however, there are a lot of hotels that don't have double/doubles (i.e., the majority of hotels near Times Square on Expedia fall in this category), so I fear the risk is high. So if you have any advice not only on bidding strategy for this area in general, but on how to get a room that sleeps 4, I'd appreciate it.

P.S.--I would consider New Jersey but with family of 4, the savings have to cover 4 round trips per day. Would need to be in safe area, near PATH station (or other recommended transportation), and very short commute time. Wife will be attending convention at Marriott Marquis on 48th and Broadway. So need convenience and accessability. It would be much preferred to be in Manhattan close to that location. Only would consider other if much less expensive (like at least $50/night less).

Use HOTWIRE and search for 2adults/2children which will guarnatee sleeping acomodations for eveyone in your search.

Searching HOTWIRE for 2adults/2children there is a 4* in Times Square with Restaurant, Fitness, Internet, Business and a Tripadvisor rating of 3.5/5.0 and 460+ reviews for $159/nite.

This is a match for the Crowne Plaza so that woudl be our best guess, and would work out very well for your needs given its location on 49th and Broadway.

Does this work for your needs and budget?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thereuare--I notice on Expedia that most hotels in NYC have a surcharge for extra guests in the room beyond 2. My children are my children, to be sure, but they are 21 and 23 years old. So if I do the Hotwire search for 2 adults/2 children will I run into trouble at the hotel? If I search for 4 adults, I suspect I'll have a higher cost.

When I search this evening I'm seeing the same hotel for $169/night. If I choose 4 adults instead of 2 adults/2 children, it is $196/night. As noted above, my kids are 21 and 23, so they are adults. I don't know how picky the hotels are on the matter, but technically if I book at the 2 adults/2 kids rate, I could run into trouble. Right?

Yes, technically it could be an issue, but i wouldn't anticipate a problem if you do it 'smart'... only have two of you go up to the desk to check-in (the others are meeting you later) while the other two are exploring the lobby of the hotel, at the Starbucks around the corner, or watching the lights of Times Square. It comes down to whether it's a risk you're willing to take or not and you have to act within your comfort zone (and that of your family).

If you're not comfortable with the above, HOTWIRE has what i believe to be the Holiday Inn Express Fifth Ave which gets very good reviews for $125/nite. This would be a step down in quality from the Crowne Plaza, but it does include breakfast, and would still be walkable for your wife to get to 48th and B'way.

What is your target budget?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My target budget is as little as I can get away with! LOL (In other words, anywhere in NYC is more than I want to pay, but I realize I have to fork over the $$ and do want a place that is clean, safe and close to the convention hotel.

BUT, where are you getting these quotes??! I can't find quotes as low for either the Crown Plaza or the Holiday Inn Express as you are. Are you putting in different dates than I am? I'm searching HOTWIRE for 8/13/09 - 8/16/09. If I do for 2 adults + 2 children, I see $149 for a 3* hotel in Midtown Central that has breakfast, business center, internet, with TripAdvisor 4.0 out of 5 with 180+ ratings. I assume that is what you are assuming is the Holiday Inn Express? So how did you get $125/nite? (the breakfast would be a good adder considering there are 4 of us. Glad you brought this to my attention. Can I somehow get it for $125?).

OOPS! My goof. The price is $149 for 4 adults. For 2 adults + 2 children, it is $139. I still don't know how you get to $125. Can you explain?

Also, curiously, if I search for just 1 adult or 2 adults, this property doesn't show up at all. i.e., there are no hotels in the same part of town with 3* and a breakfast included (the coffee mug icon). Any idea why that is? Why would Hotwire only include that property if searching for 2+2 or 4 adults?

Today i'm seeing the same HOTWIRE prices you are currently seeing.

HOTWIRE only showns one hotel at each star level per zone (the lowest priced one). When you search for 2adults/0children a 3* in the MTC zone is offered at $114. This property appearently isn't' avaialble for double occupancy, or charges more for ocupancy over two, which makes it more expesnsive than what we presume is the Holiday Inn Express... so when searching for quad occupancy the HIE 'wins' on low price and is the property offered. This system encourages hotels to offer lower rates since they're all looking to fill hotel rooms and want to be the one offered on a given search.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Well, today we decided to extend the trip beyond the convention for a couple days, and when I did, I found that the Crowne Plaza is now an average of $125 on HOTWIRE vs. $136 for the Holiday Inn Express. The latter is still nicer from a breakfast/free WiFi perspective, but my wife really prefers the proximity of the Crowne Plaza to her convention hotel, so we decided to go that route, and booked it for 5 nights at $125/night + taxes/fees. Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. I wouldn't have been so confident about the I.D. of the hotel without your help. Having ended up stuck in the West Side YMCA for 4 nights at $120/night for a paint-peeling-off-the-walls, pipes-running-along-the-ceiling, dimly lit postage stamp size room fully occupped by a double bed and small dresser, and with a teensy bathroom with a shower with a triangular footprint about 24" x 24" on the sides, I can assure you that $125 for the Crowne Plaza in Times Square area seems like a bargain to me!!

Now my only issue is that between yesterday and today the airfare jumped by about 25%. I think I'll take a chance and wait to see if it comes back down.

Congratulations on your success!

Nice to see extending your stay brought the average rate down to an acceptable level for you and that you're happy with the results... we're happy to have helped. Certainly a steal at only $5 more than a room at the YMCA and this location will be super convenient for your wife's conference!

Am i correct that your new dates are 8/13/09-8/18/09?

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

I assume that they will give you better deals if you're staying longer.

Unless there's an instance where you're bidding for a sole Saturday nite and there is a minimum stay requirement, longer stays are either a non-event or a detriment... not a benefit.

If you need help with your own stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]