Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

ayz75
By ayz75,
in

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advices on booking during Christmas.

I plan to go with 3 other friends from around Dec 25-Dec 29.

I understand that priceline only guarantees room for 2 people, but I'm willing to take a chance (and in the worst case, get an additional room)

Last time I was able to get Westin time square for 150 per night (July 1 weekend) and this time I'm actually looking at something around 2 stars. We'd like to get a room for under 100 per day (and the less the better!) but it seems like 3 star hotels are all costing around 130 right now.. how much should I be bidding as a start price for a 2-3 star hotel?

Thanks!!

Rates in NYC are cheapest during the summer. As well, we don't see many wins for 2* and lower hotels because they're often close in price as their higher star counterparts. I would also re-iterate that although i wouldn't try to squeeze for people in a NYC hotel room, i would sooner attempt it at a 4* property than a 2* property.... i wouldn't expect much living space besides the bed in a 2 star property in NYC.

With that said, what zones are you willing to accept? Would you stay downtown? How about Jersey City?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply

As for zones, anything in MTS,MTE,MTW,MTC,LM,UW,UE will do (pretty much any where in manhatton!) because my goal is really to get something within our budget, so travelling by subway is not a problem since we'll be visiting different parts of the city anyway!

Currently the best deals I've found are the following (that for sure can fit 4 people):

Hotwire - 2 stars $134 per night

Hotel Carter - around $85 per night

I'm leaning towards hotwire more because I've read on tripadvisor that Hotel carter is more of a hostel than a hotel.

however, I'm really hoping to get something under US100 in manhatton, even if it's 1 star (I guess anything that priceline or hotewire provides can't be too bad)

I've been reading about 4-people in 1 room discussions and it seems like it's not really such a great idea (I would guess that a bigger and more expensive hotel may give me a 2-double bed room, but if I'm bidding for 1-2 stars, the chance would be smaller)

Is there anything you can suggest that would give us something under US$100 per night? We just want a room that has private bath (hotel carter has this, except the review on tripadvisor is a bit scary)

As for Jersey city, I think that unless I can get something for significantly cheaper (after adding the ferry cost) otherwise my preference would still be in Manhatton.

Thanks a lot!

Well Jersey City often goes for under $40/nite, so the difference is indeed significant. You could travel by ferry (more money), but the PATH train is close to all the reported hotels in the area and is only $1.50 each way.

Let us know if the cost above is enough for you to want to try Jersey City.

I don't really know any alternatives that would get you in for under $100/nite and ensure that you have enough bedding for the four of you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think we will only stay in Manhatton, so Jersey City is out of the picture.

But currently it seems like 2 other people may not be coming.. so I guess I will just have to wait until they make their final decision next week! If it ends up being just 2 of us going, then I'll ask for some priceline strategy, otherwise it is likely we will go with hotwire.

thanks!

It seems like we only need a double room (for 2 people) for Dec 25-29.

I know it's crazy, but is it possible to get a room for under US$80 in Manhatton? I know there hasn't been any records for 1* hotels, so I'm not sure how much it would cost and if it would be a good/safe choice.

As for Jersey City, from what I've read, the new Hyatt on the Hudson River seems like the best choice because it's really close to the PATH station. (We are 2 girls travelling, so we'd prefer something in manhatton.. I've heard that some areas in Jersey city are not very safe.)So Hyatt would probably be my only choice in Jersey City since it's really close to the PATH. But even so, I understand that there's no way I can be guaranteed I'll get Hyatt when I bid (or any tips on that?)

As for priceline bidding, my max. bid for 2* would be US100 (because I can get Clarion Hotel on Park Ave. for just US98 per night on lodging.com) and for 1* would be US80 (of course, anything lower, the better!)

As I have mentioned earlier, Midtown Central,East,South and Time Square would be my first choice. Others like UE, UW and LM would be ok also if the rates are cheaper.

Could you please provide some strategies? And one more thing, when do you suggest that I should book for the hotel? (I don't want to book really early in case we cancel our trip)

Actually, ignore my previous post.

I`ve decided that I would try Jersey City first. It seems like the Hyatt and Mariott in Jersey City have the best locations. (Doubletree is a little further away from the PATH station, but I guess that would be ok)

Can you please provide me with a strategy as to what to bid? I hope I can get it for under $60, from Dec 25-29.

Since I can always get a Clarion for US100, I don`t think priceline will give me any better deals (from what I have seen, 2* hotels on priceline are at least 130+)

And so, ideally, I would like to get Hyatt on the Hudson for less than US60 if possible (and then mariott if I cant get Hyatt)

Can you also suggest a latest date of which I should place my bid by? (just that I know once my bid is accepted, I wont be able to cancel. So Id like to wait at least a week in case my friend changes her mind about going to NYC) If you think its better to provide me with a strategy when Im ready to bid, that is fine also!

One more question about Jersey City, is it possible to get a taxi to go to Jersey City from manhatton? (Our train arrives at 11:45pm at penn station, so I think we will probably need to get a taxi to go to the hotel)

Better to post a strategy when you are ready to bid... rates can change between now and then.

Penn Station to the PATH train (to take you to Jersey City) is one block if you go the short route, but given your first time in the city and two women that might not feel entirely safe i would go the long route and it's only 3 blocks (i'll give you directions if/when it comes to that).

A NYC taxi will take you to Jersey City, but the fare will be double the meter plus tip and tolls (no tolls going to NJ, but you have to pay the return toll for the taxi to get back into the city)... figure about $35-$40 vs. only $1.50/each for the PATH train.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that I am ready to bid for 12/25-29

Again, I hope to get a 3* (Hyatt) in Jersey City for under US$60 (if thats possible)

Otherwise, I would go for the 2.5* Mariotte for around the same price (from what I understand, the location of the Mariotte is not so bad either)

Please provide me with a bidding strategy.

Thanks a lot!

Concerned about going to Jersey City?!?! :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the area around the Hyatt.

If your friend bails on you i would hope you would still come by yourself and enjoy all that the city has to offer.

This hotel often goes for $200+ per nite... not exactly the price of a hotel you would find in a terrible neighborhood.

yeah, I have no problems going there but my friend (or to be more exact, her family) is too paranoid about two girls travelling.

However, I was able to find a couple people that would be interested in going with me in replace of the original person.. :)

rodney1984, Do you know if Hyatt will allow me to have more than 2 guests in the room? I'm not sure if they will take my request of having 2 double-beds. Thanks!

I have booked this hotel three times for myself and friends, getting two beds is absolutely no problem ... getting a one-king room however is.

In your case, I am almost certain you will have no problem.

Also, I have never had a problem where they asked how many guests, or tried to charge for more at any PL-booked hotel ever.

• 2 weeks later...

thereuare:

Could you please give me the direction to the PATH station from Penn station? Both the short one and the long one.

And also, please correct me if I'm wrong. According to the PATH timetable, we will probably be able to catch the 12:12am train leaving from 33rd St. And to get to Exchange Place station (on a Sunday night) It seems like I must transfer at Grove station, and then take the Newark line to Exchange Place station.

Is that what I should do or is there a better way?

Click THIS MAP and zoom in to the highest setting (should be one more box available to zoom in from the page you land on)

Short:

The red star is the Seventh Avenue exit from Penn Station (32nd St and Seventh Ave). If you follow 32 St (so that you're walking away from Madison Square Garden) the next cross street (in grey on the map) is Sixth Ave. Cross over Sixth Avenue and on the left side of the street you will see the entrance to the PATH train (stairs leading downward).

Bit Longer:

Walk from the red star up towards 34th St. Make a Right on 34th St. Make a Right when you hit the area where Sixth Ave and Broadway intersect (do not cross over either one of them!). Walk 2 blocks south (downtown) to 32nd St and then make a Left onto 32nd St where you will find the stairs leading down to the PATH entrance. (note: when you get to the corner of 34th and Broadyway/Sixth Ave you will see a subwa station that also says PATH on it, this too will get you there, but it involves walking thru an underground passage and you'll probably feel much more comfortable being above ground).

Whichever route you take, don't be alarmed if there is a homeless person near the entrance of the PATH. The short route only involves one block and i have no problem walking it (nor does my wife), but it's a desolate street and not likely to many people walking down it other than some homeless. It's just a matter of what you're comfortable with.

Nobody really looks at a PATH schedule... people just generally show up and wait. At that hour the train runs every 15 minutes so just show up and don't worry about catching a certain train. You are correct on the transfer at Grove.

Any other questions, or clarification of any of the above, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel,

I called a couple days ago also to make the request, and was told the same thing!

I thought that was weird, because normally when you book directly with the hotel, you always have the choice between 1 king size bed or 2 double beds. I'm not sure if it's because we are booking through priceline or if that is really the policy.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]