in

Bid $160 4* rejected, re-bid $170 accepted

Your Offer Price: $170.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $340.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $58.45

Total Charges: $398.45

I have been attempting to book a room in this area for about a month with rejections up to $200 for 4* (MTW). Today hotwire.com had 4.5* for $209 for my dates. Given the description, it appeared to be this same hotel, so I thought I would try priceline.com (thru www.savingsbarn.com) first and am happy I did, given my winning bid. Thanks again to this site, I rely on the advice written here everytime I bid!

KPT, nice job using all available resources and monitoring rates!

I'm glad you are able to use the information here to your advantage and appreciate the support you have shown.

As you know i'm local to the area (as are a few others) so if we can help at all with your itinerary or things to do while you're here feel free ask.

Thanks for posting your win and enjoy your stay!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I truly appreciate your responses and would love any recommendations for must try restaurants/coffee shops. This is my 2nd time to NY, I am traveling with my mom, aunt and my friend - all first timers. All of us love finding a place with fantastic food - regardless of the atmosphere. Also looking for a place to relax for a while after evening shows - something mellow where we can talk and people watch, maybe get dessert (within close proximity to the theaters). I don't know how you keep up with all of these posts!!! So any suggestions are appreciated.

One thing I wanted to mention about the Westin: When I called to request a non-smoking room they were very friendly but indicated that because the room was purchased on priceline.com NO requests would be allowed into their "system". This is the first time I have run into this using priceline. It might be a new Westin policy because I found other posts indicating that specific requests were honored at this NY Westin.

I wouldn't worry too much about the smoking, non smoking. Priceline reservations can't be altered in the system but they will very likely ask you when you check in. Just let them know then, and you should be ok.

If you get a smelly room, let them know and they should try to move you.

I use Priceline almost exclusively, and have never had to stay in a smoking room, so you should be ok.

I'll preface this that it's not the best italian food you'll ever eat (and a true foodie may cringe at the upcoming suggestion), but for a group of out of towners i do like Carmines... all dishes are served family style and it has a real 'NYC vibe' to it. If you like garlic this is a good place as their dishes are loaded with it! For four people you would order 2 entrees or 2 entrees and an appetizer and be set. I haven't been there in a loooong time but the menus are painted on the wall so you could figure out if it will be in your price range before sitting down. Be forewarned... drinks are expensive and the place gets very crowded so if you choose to go here do so early!! (like 5pm or so... see if you can get a reservation, but they only take reservations for large parties after 6pm).

For less expensive in the theater district and very casual i like John's Pizza. They make some very good thin crust and the atmosphere is very nice... high cathedral ceilings (it's build in a renovated church) and open kitchens where you can watch the pizzas being made and put in/out of the oven. Stay away from the entrees here as they're not very good, but the pizza, Pete's rolls, and salads make for a good and inexpensive pre/post-theater dinner.

For 'nicer fare' i have never been but have heard good things about Rachaels (9th Ave and ~44th St) as well as Southwest 44 (which is not mexican or southern food, but named for the fact that it resides on the South West corner of 44th St). You can check out City Search and other web places for reviews on all of the above.... given i don't frequent the theater often (and when i do it's usually downtown) i haven't been in this area in awhile.... others should feel free to chime in!

As well, i would also recommend getting out of the Times Square/Theater area for a change and to explore some of the other areas of the city. There is good food to be found almost everywhere in the city, but generally speaking getting out of the 'tourist areas' (where you will find the largest percentage of our AppleBees, TGI Fridays, etc, etc) you're more likely to find some of the places you're looking for where the food is amazing and the atmosphere is nothing special. The theater district tends to cater a bit more to the places that put a bit more emphasis into their atmosphere (dare i say and a little less into their food?).

I would recommend places such as the Village and Chinatown has some great finds which are ultra-cheap and very good, and i have recently tried Katz's Deli (lower east side) for the first time and was blown away.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]