4 People to a Room

melissas77
By melissas77,
in

We are bringing our 2 children on a vacation in a priceline booked hotel. I understand that only double occupancy is guarenteed when booking with priceline but decided to take the risk. I'm planning to call a week or so prior to request a room with 2 beds, and based on the hotel I got I don't think we will have a problem. I was just wondering though if other people who have been in this situation could share what their experiences have been as far as having more than 2 people to a room. Does it usually work out okay or is it a major problem? Also, I'm wondering if people are more likely to get a room that can accomodate 4 in places that tend to be very family oriented , such as the Disney area.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

I've done that for Disneyland and Sacramento with no problem. The Disneyland one I called ahead. In Sacramento, I stayed at a Springhill Suites and a Residence Inn--both have sofabeds, so no problem. I didn't have to "hide" my kids either; just checked them in with us. I wouldn't bid on an area that has hotels that only offer one bed, however (e.g., USE in SF because of the St. Francis). But touristy areas that cater to kids like Disneyland are usually no issue. If I'm concerned about an area, I go through HOTWIRE where you can specify the number of kids.

• 1 month later...
Some areas may be better in regards to two beds for four on PRICELINE than others, but one should NEVER go in with the assumption that they will be granted the 2 bed request on a PRICELINE reservation. Only those who are "willing to make it work" if they can't get two beds should bid on PRICELINE with 4 to a room.

I found this thread before I posted a similar concern. I recently booked 3 seperate hotels via Priceline and all were booked for 4 people (2 adults 2 children). I read the Priceline caption that said only accomodations for 2 were guaranteed. Did I miss something along the way? Can't you reserve for 4 people?

One of my reservations was for a 4 star in Seattle and I was given the Edgewater. When I called they said I would be charged a $10.00 upgrade in order to have 2 beds. They also said since I went through a "third party" demeanor was almost like "second rate customer" I felt, they could not do anything other than what they were doing. I said fine. I guess I need to read more I would assume when you bid with 4 people and win the bid at the price awarded that is what you would pay. This was my first time........wasn't there an option to tell how many people or is it always based on 2?

The other two "wins" were the Hilton and Doubletree near the SeaTac airport. One said a room with doubles would be no problem the other said all they could do is put in a "request" for 2 beds.

Is that the way it goes?

mike62, I see a thread from you for the Edgewater but not the other two hotels you won. Would you please start new threads for those wins, so that they may be added to the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins?

As for your question... how did you bid for 4 people? Priceline only supports bidding for a room with double occupancy. Maybe we can help clear up the confusion if you explain your process to us.

That is what I was kind of questioning regarding myself and could not remember if I had put number of guests at 4 which obviously I did not per your clarification. My confusion probably came from a night of searching of options where I was able to list the total number of guests. Thank you for the clarification.

As far as the other two wins I will be glad to post them. I had made a beginner error in my haste and did not go through the online PRICELINE link as is preferred and it was pointed out on my first post and I did not want to violate further protocols by listing them as I won all rooms within 30 minutes of each other. Will be glad to post and note the suggestion for future reference.

Thank you.

Thank you for being concerned about using the link. Please do use it going forward but do not worry about forgetting it in the past. We all benefit most from knowing as many wins as possible.

Keep in mind that while HOTWIRE will allow you to search for up to 4 people per room, priceline is always 2 people. The hotel is thus obligated to give you at least one double bed or two single beds. It is entirely at their discretion if they wish to accommodate requests for anything more - and if there is any additional charge. Remember, the central philosophy of priceline is to fill UNSOLD rooms. In busy family tourism areas, for example, multi-bed rooms tend to sell out first, thus why the hotel would want to assign single bed rooms to priceline guests.

It sounds like you still got a good deal, even with the extra $10/night fee and, as importantly, you have the right attitude about the situation.

One other suggestion many folks forget: In some cases, with larger parties, it may end up cheaper to simply book two rooms with PRICELINE, than to reserve a room with two beds directly.

My question also about this topic is how do hotels react if you show up with 4 people? Do they say it's only for two, or do they not care and give card keys to 3 or 4 people? Is it better just to have the two others wait until after checkin?

The Seattle hotel guy.... Stayed in 14 hotels downtown and counting!

Favorite Hotel Downtown: The Camlin Seattle (It's now a timeshare)

inspiration100

If you secured beds for four people is it better to split the party. Let 2 C/I and tell the rest of the party know room# so they can go separate. If you need additional keys, tell the clerk that you lost one.

This is depending on the layout/size of the hotel. Some hotel got wings/additional buildings etc. If you got a wing is it no problem. But if you arrive late at night in a smaller hotel with only a mainbuilding could it be more tricky if trying to sneak in additional people with luggage.

Try to clear it with the hotel first. And there is also fire regulations on all hotels for a reason.

Yellowdog.

I've stayed at the Vancouver Airport Marriott twice with more than 2 people. Both times, in order to upgrade, I had to pay a $20 upgrade fee so that I could get a room with 2 beds. Both times, I showed up with more than 2 people when I checked in and received two key cards, which wasn't a problem since we were all sticking together.

I stayed at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport this past weekend with 4 people. I checked in with 3 people and did not have to pay a fee in order to get a room with 2 beds. The person who checked me in even asked me how many key cards I would need.

I've used priceline on numerous occations in the past - always travelling with THREE kids - never had an issue - when we were with Mariotts, they usually gave us an extra spacious room so that the crib (we have with us) easily fits in. We never felt being "second rated" customers.

Actually the people at the front desk don't see your rate - they just know that the room is "prepaid" - I've been told that on numerious occations.

Happy bidding,

Georg

Actually the people at the front desk don't see your rate - they just know that the room is "prepaid" - I've been told that on numerious occations.

They don't see the rate that you paid but most systems allow them to see what PRICELINE paid. In some systems the cleck can not see that price. They are not supposed to pass that info on to the guest but I have seen it before. One hotel where we at we had a local corp rate, the manager showed me a PL booking that was higher than what we were paying.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]