Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* NYC (Times Square) Westin

mikep
By mikep,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Although prices are high for your dates, you should be able to beat your $300/nite limit, the question i think will be how far away from Times Square/Broadwy you are willing to be.

For instance, MTE (midtown east) is often one of the least expensive zones. The Millenium UN hotel is in this zone and although the hotel generally gets good reviews, it is on First Ave, which is about a 20 minute walk (or $5-6 cab ride) to Times Square. So whether you consider this hotel sufficient for your needs or too far away will determine if you could bid this zone or not.

I would first recommend pulling up a Priceline screen and put "New York City" in the text box. On the next page you will see a list of zones within the NY area. Click the link next to each to get a detailed look at the zone's boundaries. You can also read this link which i wrote as a guide to PRICELINE NEW YORK ZONES. Also in that thread note that i comment that in NYC zone location isn't that important due to relatively inexpensive and convenient transportation options, most tourists usually bid the MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS zones.

In the rare event that none of the zones are acceptable to you, i see QUICKBOOK has the Millenium Broadway for $269/nite.

Let us know your thoughts on which zones are acceptable and we'll suggest a detailed strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I see a $309/nite rate at the Westin's website which appears to come with a one nite penalty if cancelled at any time (100% forfeit if cancelled close to arrival)... is this what you plan on booking?

I might suggest looking at the $319/nite rate which appears to be fully cancellable up until a day before arrival date (double check the rate rules yourself). This will at least 'lock you in' to the rate while you continue to explore other options and try Priceline. If you're successful with Priceline you can then cancel the reservation; if not successful in the next week or two, you can still 'swap this reservation' for the non-refundable $309 rate (if still available... that's why you reserve the $319/nite as an 'insurance policy' in case the $309 rate disappears for some reason).

When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bid zones you can read about them here: REBIDDING PRICELINE EXPLAINED. Feel free to ask any questions that you have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board to avoid any potential mistakes.

If the above makes sense, this is how i would proceed:

Select 4* MTW and....

Bid $180, if rejected add UM/CPS and....

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone#1 and...

Bid $200, if rejected close that browser.

Re-access Priceline however you did previously...

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS and re-bid zone#2 and...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone#1 and...

Bid $220.

The above bids may very well be too low, but given over one month before your stay, and the back-up options listed above, this is how i would begin. If rejected, reserve a cancellable back-up, and report back and we'll provide a new strategy adjusted accordingly.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please read the link above which explains re-bidding. It is important to know how to do this on your own so that you can check the zones each time before you bid to make sure that there have been no changes.

If you don't understand after reading the above link, add a reply to this thread with each NYC zone (not just the MTW and UM/CPS zones) and list what the highest rated star level offered is. From the link above, you can figure out the highest star rated hotel in each zone as follows:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.

We'll then use that information to explain further.

Make the cancellable reservation and sit tight for 72 hours. Around the time your 72 hours is due to expire reply to this thread that you're able to bid once again and we'll check current rates and supply a strategy with revised bidding amounts.

Of course should any questions arise between now and then feel free to post sooner :)

It was the Westin NY Times Square. One night stay, Sunday 11-7, for $157. This is the Hotwire description: Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Business Center, Spa Services. Now I want to see if I can get the prior nights stay (11-6) below $319. Can you help?

Nice to see you get part of this stay taken care of.

We'll be happy to help with the remaining part of your stay, but please start a new thread for that part of the stay since it's ultimately for a different date than this win, and having them separated will enable us to properly reflect each one in the hotel's title.

In your new thread, please indicate that you are only interested in the Westin, if that is indeed the case.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]