Hotwire Hotel: 3* Baltimore (Airport BWI) Hilton Garden Inn Arundel Mills

arnovdb
By arnovdb,
in

Hi

I have tried several biddings for a 4* Inner Harbor hotel using the permutation method.

I started my biddings at 63 USD and ended with 89 USD.

Later on I have tried the 3,5* and varied between 70 USD and 80 USD (using free rebid zones).

We are arriving July 31 and departing August 2.

Maybe the problem is that the Red Sox are in town.

Could you advice me? My maximum bid is about 90 USD.

Maybe I can drop our starlevel till 3*.

If the Inner Harbor area doesn't work, which other area, is a good area to stay (maybe we can take the subway to the Inner Harbor area)

Thank you

It's possible that you're bidding a little too early for Baltimore Inner Harbor. July 31st is still over two months away and sometimes hotels don't release their rooms to Priceline this early. I wouldn't bid too high or compromise on star level or zone this far in advance.

That being said, if you Click on "Baltimore North," you'll find the Hunt Valley/Timonium Zone, which is right along the Light Rail line which can take you to and from the game.

Nobody can predict if rates will fall between now and your stay, but at the moment, these are very expensive dates for this area (the Red Sox in town is one possibility for high demand, along with the 'season' for the spending time by the water).

If you search HOTWIRE for your dates you'll see the Inner Harbor properties there are going for $250/nite for the 3.5* and $350/nite for the 4*, which sadly implied that a $90 bid really doesn't have too much of a chance at the moment.

Do you have any backup plan? Any thoughts regarding the suggestion above regarding choosing an area where you could take the Light Rail to the game? (assuming that's what you'll be in town for)

Let us know your thougths.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Don't go above your limit of $90. I would stay below $80-85 for a 4*. Still too far in advance. I would get serious two weeks before. Also try to bid only on the first night instead of lumping the entire stay into the one bid. You might stay below your target on the first night and get the "extend your stay option" after you win your bid. Also can try bidding on each night. I assume you are able to move hotels day to day.

The other issue may be conventions around that time but appears you are in the clear. http://www.bccenter.org/events.php?page=1 MUST BE THOSE REDSOX FANS.

If you have a car you will have to pay to park at a downtown hotel or a downtown garage, so staying outside of the city has the benefit of no parking fees, plus you can take the light rail into the city. If you stay north of the city in towson or hunt valley should expect to pay no more than $70/night tops for a 3.5* unless there's some lacross tourney that same weekend.

If you are not driving then you may consider staying at a BWI airport hotel (which can be had for cheap) and taking the supershuttle to a downtown hotel like the Hilton of Pratt street (if you are going to the redsox game) and stash your stuff with a bellman. You can take the supershuttle from the airport or airport hotels for less than $13 per person into the city.

Good luck!

We are coming from New Jersey by car and arrive friday afternoon and stay 2 nights in the Baltimore area.

Saturday we want to see the Inner Harbor area/Aquarium and sunday we are going to the Red Sox game (afternoon).

After the game we drive to IAD.

What are the pro's/contra's of staying in the BWI area and take the lightrail in stead of staying in the Towson/Hunt Valley area and take the lightrail?

Thx!

High demand for hotel rooms is due to Red Sox Nation, certainly not the last place Orioles..... :) Its easier for Boston fans to get tickets for away games. I've never stayed in Towson, but I did stay at BWI several years ago. The only negative is the parking lot at the BWI light rail staion is small and it fills up quickly, but some airport hotels may offer to shuttle you to the station.

We are coming from New Jersey by car and arrive friday afternoon and stay 2 nights in the Baltimore area.

Saturday we want to see the Inner Harbor area/Aquarium and sunday we are going to the Red Sox game (afternoon).

After the game we drive to IAD.

What are the pro's/contra's of staying in the BWI area and take the lightrail in stead of staying in the Towson/Hunt Valley area and take the lightrail?

Thx!

Unless you REALLY want to wake up in the city, I would just stay outside of the city in the burbs and drive in early each day and park in a garage. If you drink you could always take the light rail back out or a taxi. You will save probably $40-50 per night. Probably the cheapest parking near the stadium is the Redwood Apartments Parking Deck off Eutaw, just north of the Hilton. They have a flat rate of $15 or $20, but that might change given Red Sox crowd. On Saturday and Sunday, there's also a deck in Fells Point off Thames Street near Kali's court which charges $5 for all day parking on the weekend (might up rates with Red Sox).

if staying in hunt valley/towson start bidding at $45 for a 3.5* (do not drop to a 3*) in hunt valley first, then rebid at say $50 by adding the townson zone. You should be able to get the Marriott in Hunt Valley or the Sheraton in Towson for somewhere between $45-$60/night.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I didn't succeed in the Hunt Valley/Timonium/Towson/White Marsh area

I have made several bids with a maximum bid of 65 usd for 3,5 star.

I have gave up the inner harbor area

What do you advice us, wait longer or higher bidding/lower stars?

Maybe try the Glenn Burnie area ? Is that a safe area? Hotwire does have a 3* and 2* for about 90 and 60 USD?

thanks

arno

We arrive fiiday afternoon in the Baltmore region after our stay in Jersey City (Westin).

Saturday we do the general sightseeing (inner harbor, aquarium, babe ruth museum)

Sundayafternoon we are going to the O's - Red Sox game

After the game we drive to an IAD airport hotel and monday we fly to Orlando

thx

Are you renting a car? benhur gave some suggestions above for alternate locations outside of the city, but it seems like many (most? all?) of them would require a car. I'm not familiar with the light rail system down there but that may be another option to look for a hotel/location along the light rail route.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't think this area that well (have been, but had a friend local to the area taking care of all of your plans), but are there any other places along the Light Rail or even a bus route? What about Mt Veron which looks to be fairly close by?

Any chance you'd rather go to DC? :)

We ended with a hotwire reservation

3* Hilton Garden Inn - Baltimore/Arundel Mills area

07/31/09 - 08/02/09

58 USD

Amenities

Airport shuttle

Fitness center

Business center

Laundry facilities

High-speed internet access

Tennis nearby

The Homewood suites do have the same amenites, reading an older topic!!

Unfortunately no complimentary breakfast, but we will find something to eat

Thank you

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]