JERSEY CITY PARKING -- JOURNAL SQUARE

f1seau55
By f1seau55,
in

I frequently travel to NYC from Baltimore .... hate driving into the city .... so I park in Jersey City

now and take the PATH into the city from the Journal Square station. My favorite spot to park

has raised their rates to $12 for 24 hours (which is still great) -- the spot is #5 on the linked

map here: http://www.thenewjournalsquare.com/js_parking_rates.html

I have changed garages several times, depending on their rates. #5 & #4 are the best, because

it's easy to get in and out of them - and back to the turnpike. Parking behind the PATH Plaza is

now $13 for 24 hours. I'm guessing that parking at #4 is more than #5 now. #4 has always

been more .... i.e. $10 vs. $7 ... $12 vs. $9 .... and since #5 has gone up to $12 -- #4 is probably

$14 or $15. All of them prices are great .... compared to NYC.

What is maddening though .... is there is ZERO information online about parking rates. The prices

in the above link are 3 or 4 years old .... those prices do not exist anymore.

My preference is to still park at #5 (801 Pavonia Ave) for $12 for 24 hours .... stop in the Journal

Square Pub for a beer .... then hop on the PATH. I last made this trip 4 weeks ago ... and am going

again this weekend.

If anybody parks in the Journal Square area ..... or elsewhere in Jersey City .... please post your

current parking rate paid.

Thanks !!!

If anybody parks in the Journal Square area ..... or elsewhere in Jersey City .... please post your

current parking rate paid.

And you win hotels in this area via PRICELINE or HOTWIRE please share your wins with the board :)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I frequently travel to NYC from Baltimore .... hate driving into the city ....

Park at the Princeton Junction station for a whole lot less, take NJ Transit to Penn Station, save gas, tolls, and wear and tear on you and your car.

What is the parking situation like there ? .... it seems most of the parking is for permits .... so would

I be able to stroll in there on a Friday morning ... and find a daily spot ??

Seems like a good idea though. $4 a day parking ... and $5.25 each way to NYC Penn Station with

my military discount :)

can't say, but other stations include Hamilton as well. You should check it out on your next trip, but if f you are travelling solo, why would you not park at BWI and take Amtrak all the way? With the cost of fuel and the tolls going northbound (these are just estimates off the top of my head: Baltimore Tunnel, $3 or so; Maryland $5; Delaware $4; Delaware Mem. Bridge $3; NJ Turnpike, $7) as well as the cost of fuel and wear and tear on your car. Not to mention the white knuckle experience driving through one of the most heavily trafficed corridors. How much would a round trip on Amtrak cost compared to driving?

Amtrak is a joke. The cheapest fare is $140 .... that is why I always drive.

$29.50 for tolls -- $24 for parking -- $24.90 for gas -- $3.50 for the PATH ... $81.90 total. The savings pays for

about 12 pints of beer in the city :) and ...... I like driving the Turnpike :) and I make my own schedule.

If I did Princeton Junction .... my estimate is $53.05 total .... $86.95 better than Amtrak ... and $28.85 better

than driving to Journal Square .... that would be 5 more pints of beer for a total of 16 :o

Plus ... this weekend I'm going home to Wilkes-Barre, PA on Saturday afternoon .... so the further north my car

is ... the better.

I frequently travel to NYC from Baltimore .... hate driving into the city ....
Amtrak is a joke. The cheapest fare is $140 .... that is why I always drive.

Both BoltBus and MegaBus run this route starting at $1/ow. Wi-fi onboard so you can keep up with the latest BetterBidding posts enroute :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Plus ... this weekend I'm going home to Wilkes-Barre, PA on Saturday afternoon .... so the further north my car

is ... the better.

I was going to suggest the Harrison station, but I just read on the PATH website that due to construction, the number of parking spaces have been reduced.

Here's another thrifty way to get to NYC....Drive up 95 through Philadelphia, take the SEPTA R7 regional rail from the Cornwells Heights Station to Trenton, then take the NJ Transit train into Manhattan. According to the SEPTA website, parking is about $1-2 per day and the off peak advance purchase fare to Trenton is $8.25. So, take away the NJ Turnpike and Delaware Memorial Bridge tolls, consider the reduced parking, and the factor in the higher NJ Transit fare from Trenton to NY Penn Station, how may more pints will this get you?

• 3 months later...

Hmmm, :)

This thread started out asking about Parking rates in Jersey City and ended up talking about everything BUT

parking rates in Jersey City. I also was wondering about parking near the Westin haven't had any luck finding

anything. There was one link on BB about parking near Path stations but the link for Pavonia/Newport isn't

working.

Anyone know the scoops about parking rates?

Regards. Keoni :)

• 1 year later...
Anyone know of any decent parking deals in Jersey City? I'm headed to the area in a couple weeks, and was thinking about leaving my car in Jersey City for the day while I'm in NYC.

Is this for your your Sheraton Meadowlands stay? How late do you want to return from Manhattan?

Is this for your your Sheraton Meadowlands stay? How late do you want to return from Manhattan?

Yes it is. The concerts I'm going to will be over at 10:30-11 each night, but they are on Governors Island. Not sure how long it will take to get off the island, but supposedly they'll have extra ferries for the concerts. I'm just weighing my options for parking/transportation.

The Sheraton operates a shuttle to the Secaucus junction station, but I don't know how late this shuttle runs. You might want to find out the ferry schedule from Governors Island to Jersey City as well. Check out Edison Fastpark, they have a $7 rate after 4 PM and all day Saturday at their Secaucus Junction lot.

Their shuttle runs until 11:45, so it would be cutting it reallllly close. The Jersey City ferry is leaving from Liberty Landing Marina. Not sure if you or anyone knows of places around there for reasonable rates.

Here is a link to Liberty Landing Marina which mentions a $7 rate for parking. You might want to call and double check to confirm the rate and hours of operation for your dates as "special parking rates" may be in effect for your concert on Governor's Island.

As for the Sheraton shuttle, I have heard that this can fill up and you may have to wait for the next one or take a cab. Since you have a car, I would be in favor of parking at the ferry. My other favorite way to get into the city is to use the North Bergen Park and Ride and take the NJ Transit 320 bus into the city. This will take you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, but you will have to hop on a subway to get to Battery Park and then take the ferry to Gov Island. This seems a bit convoluted, but I just wanted to toss it out. You will need to check both the bus schedule and the operating hours for the parking lot.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]