DC Georgetown University Hotel

betsybug
By betsybug,
in

This is a correctly rated 3* minimalist hotel on the condition, rooms, and amenities for this property that is no longer owned or mangaged by Marriott. I would not choose this hotel again due to the lhidden and remote location on Georgetown University campus next to the hospital. I don't know how anyone walking to the hotel could find it - it's only listed on a blue lengthy sing off Reservoir Road with about 8 other facilities. My conference was in the Capitol Hill zone near the Convention Center. There are no nearby restaurants, drug stores, or other shops. The only viable transportation without long walks and waits was by taxis that ranged from $12-$20 depending on the traffic. And traffic was horrible at rush hours in the narrow streets around the campus. The first night it took 45 minutes to go the three miles between the hotel and my conference. The campus bus that runs to the Dupont Circle Metro was just ahead of us in the morning and it got there in 20 minutes due to the traffic jam.

The service was prompt and helpful - maintenance (for a TV channel glitch), room service, check-in desk, and bellman (who got me a cab in less than 5 minutes). The room service food was lackluster in quality but not overpriced by hotel food standards ($20 including 20% room service fee). Two employees saved guests unnecessary expenses. The room service guy refused my tip because it was already added into the bill, which was hard to tell from the check. A desk clerk told a couple who had been walked to the hotel from the Savoy to use the reservation phone in the lobby instead of getting a rate from him because the operator would give them a better rate.

I didn't see a hotel restaurant or bar so I don't know how the hotel gets a 3* rating on Priceline and Hotwire lists it with a restaurant. Maybe they are counting the student center food court next door that I didn't visit.

The fitness center lacks space and equipment. It's in a room on the 2d floor with 2 bikes and 2 steppers - no treadmill. There's one TV to share for all. The desk clerk told me guests can use the Yeats (sp?) Center gym on campus for $10 weekdays and free on weekends. Serious fitness freaks should go there.

The bed was very comfortable with upgraded modern linens comparable to a Marriott or Sheraton hotel. I assume the King bed rooms all have an easy chair like mine. There were worn conditions noted - chips in tub and door jams and some carpet stains in the room. I didn't like the handicapped room I was assigned (Hotwire rate) because the walk from the tub to the towel rack on tile floor was too far. The sink is old-fashioned with small counter located outside the tub/toilet bath.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]