Priceline Hotel: 3* Wilmington Newark/Christiana 5/31-6/1 - Repeated Rejections

wellsie
By wellsie,
in

Have been trying this bid the last few days. I start at $42, add Ekton and bid $44, and then the final free rebid w/New Castle, I go to $46.

I don't really want to go higher than that based on previous wins posted here. I'm wondering if the fact that I'm bidding for two rooms might be the problem, or is it too far in advance for this particular area (a recent $40 win was done a few days in advance)?

Also, I can't find any info on any big events at that time, but if anyone knows of something going on in the Brandywine Valley area that period, maybe I should consider higher bids?

Used the PRICELINE link.

Using the recently won Hilton Newark DE as a proxy... checking the week prior to your date shows a rate of $93/nite; checking for your date, and the week after, the rate jumps to $159. Is it possible this area sees increased "summer beach" traffic and you're catching the cusp of off-season/in-season?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the extremely quick reply. I was able to book the two rooms there with a discount rate of $119, but I had not been aware of that jump in rates. That may be the issue. The only thing that has me unsure about that is that I did see $45 winning bids for that zone, 3* during summer months for last year. Normally, I would say what does that mean for this year, but with all the press about plummeting travel and occupancy rates, I figured rates would be fairly stable.

That said, it could be the case this year. This is the first time I've ever bid for two rooms, so I was concerned if that was affecting my bid.

I have time to keep trying, I just didn't want to pursue a futile goal. If I have to increase my bid, I will do so.

Thanks again for your help.

Normally, I would say what does that mean for this year, but with all the press about plummeting travel and occupancy rates, I figured rates would be fairly stable.

I don't know the ins/outs of this area too well, but if the above scenario regarding a beach community is true, rates could be higher this year than in years past as more people vacation locally instead of flying further away.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Graduation is Saturday May 30, the race is Sunday May 31.

Yup, that was the problem. Fortunately, I was able to get a decent ($119) rate at the Hilton Christiana, so even if I don't win a bid I should be okay, but I may try for just the last 3 days w/this information in mind.

Thanks all - I have a knack for picking bad times to travel! You were very helpful

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]