Hotwire Hotel: 4* Toronto (Downtown) Hilton

mouse
By mouse,
in

this is my first time using priceline/hotwire. wd prefer to use priceline to get better rate. looking for 4.5 to 5* hotel in downtown Toronto for 10/21 to 10/24 for special 40th birthday celebration with family (incl 2 young kids, ages 2 and 7). Read the Intercontinental on Front Street is 4.5* (on Hotwire at least) but is absolutely NOT family friendly (terrible pool hrs, cold reception etc)

Is there anyway to avoid this particular hotel while requesting a 4.5 to 5* hotel?

Are certain 5* hotels that are not as suitable for kids (e.g. Metropolitan) not offered through priceline if we list our 2 kids as staying in our room?

what is a decent starting bid?

wd I possibly get a better (i.e. 5* rather than 4* hotel) if my starting bid was on the higher side?

thanks in advance for your help - certainly I will let you know what happens!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can certainly go with Priceline, but Hotwire may be your better choice in this instance as:

1) you're looking for occupancy for 4 people. Hotwire now allows you to make a purchase for 2 adults and 2 children... while Priceline still only guarantees double occupancy and no differentiation for kids vs. adults

2) you're trying to avoid certain properties... this can't be done with Priceline, but you can almost guarantee avoiding certain properties with Hotwire

Next you'll need to take a look at how Priceline and/or Hotwire rate hotels. I don't think either has 5* hotels in this area, and Hotwire does not use a 4.5* rating in their system.

Feel free to ask questions regarding the above. If you choose to go with Priceline we'll suggest a bidding strategy if you let us know what your maximum bid amount is. If you choose to go with Hotwire list the star rating and amenities shown of the hotel you are considering and we'll try to help you identifiy it.

Oh yeah, and here's an answer to your other question: DON'T BID HIGHER FOR A SPECIFIC HOTEL.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for quick reply!

will go with Hotwire as you suggested. For 10/21-10/24 listing 2 adults, 2 kids, I did find:

4.5* restaurant, pool, fitness cent, bus centr, spa $121

4* rest, pool, fit centr, bus centr, (best value) $84

3.5* rest, pool, fit centr, bus centr, spa (favorite) $ 76

my guesses are Intercontinental on Front str, Hilton, Sheraton respectively ??????

same dates for 2 adults, 1 child (baby cd sleep in king with us) + cot maybe

additional listed: 4* rest, pool , fit centr, bus cntr $90 cd this be the Hotel Intercontinental on Bloor??

last question: to insure a great room, is it possible to go with a 4* and pay extra ($50??/night) for upgraded room?

thanks again!

Here are my best guesses:

4.5* restaurant, pool, fitness cent, bus centr, spa $121

Inter-Continental on Front

4* rest, pool, fit centr, bus centr, (best value) $84

Hilton or Inter-Continental on Bloor

(same amenities and star rating, so no way to differentiate before purchase)

3.5* rest, pool, fit centr, bus centr, spa (favorite) $ 76

Sheraton or Sutton Place Hotel (it's unknown if the Sutton is also a Customer Favorite... so more likely the Sheraton, but the Sutton is possible too)

I don't see any difference (besides price) in the description of the 4* search with 2 children vs. 1 child.

Some hotels offer all guest a chance to upgrade for an additional fee, but this is more the exception of the rule. Once you know the hotel you can do a little research and if there are a few different room classes you can ask for an upgrade at check-in (additional fee may apply) or you could try TIPPING AT HOTELS (this thread begins as appropriate tip amounts, but evolves into tipping the check-in clerk to get an upgrade).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]