Hotwire Hotel: help please - chicago july 1-5

mjaf
By mjaf,
in

hi all,

i'm looking for some help.

i'm tentatively planning a trip for july 1-5, 2009. i need a hotel for two adults. i'd like to be in the mag mile district. i looked on hotwire and found a 4* property for $83 with fitness, restaurant, business centre, internet, and spa. given all of the other posts here, i'm pretty sure this is the hyatt regency -- 3.5 out of 5 rating on TA with over 500 reviews. i don't mind staying at an impersonal conference hotel. we'll be out and about most of the days anyway.

i've used hotwire before and have always been happy with the results. so i'm perfectly fine using hotwire again. however, this morning, the 'same' 4* offering was priced at $73. when i checked at lunch, the price jumped to $83 (grrr). so i did some more digging on this forum and found that many folks seem to get this hotel via priceline.

so, can you please help me here with my options? how much will i save using priceline? i have never successfully won anything on priceline and to be honest, i'm not all that keen on bidding over and over again. i'm also concerned that the hotel needs to be booked relatively soon given the timing of our trip over the july 4th weekend.

i'd be willing to pay $75 or less for a 4* in the "Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area" with PL.

i'm also confused b/c the hotwire and PL areas don't line up (!!!) ...

thank you!!!

Mjaf

p.s. sorry if i posted this in this in the wrong forum ... i'm not sure if i should've put this in the 'PL' forum...

Orbitz.com has the Swisssotel for these dates for $79. If you use coupon code deal0hotel (the 0 in deal0hotel is the number, not the letter O), you get 10% off = $71.28.

That is a stunning deal for this hotel, and I'd recommend booking that and booking that quickly.

Please use the site's Orbitz.com link to start your purchase.

mjaf,

Did you want to go with the Orbitz offer above or proceed with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE?

While a PRICELINE or HOTWIRE reservation may result in a slightly lower price, i don't think it would be by much, and the reviews of the Swissotel are very good (which, AaronJB correct me if i'm wrong, he's recommending booking this property thru Orbitz above)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or our Orbitz link)

Let us know how you'd like to move forward and/or how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Swissotel is right by where the Hyatt is and a fair amount of the rooms at the Swiss have some sort of view. While lake view is a paid upgrade, some other rooms have fine views of the surrounding area.

The $79 deal for the Swiss was so good I thought it was going to be one of those instances where you see $79 on the main page of Orbitz and then click on it and it says "Sorry, but the price has changed...." Thankfully, not only is it an actual deal for $79, but the deal0hotel coupon code actually works to take an additional 10% off. $71 and change for the Swiss is awesome, especially through a regular rate service.

eek. i got this message when i entered the promo code:

"We're sorry but Orbitz Price Assurance does not apply when using a promotion code."

so, the best price i can get is $79.20 per night ... which still isn't bad ...

but i'd be interested in booking via priceline if i can get something for $65 a night ... i'm from canada so our dollar isn't doing so great right now!!! every little bit helps.

can you suggest a bidding strategy please?

tks!!!

I am looking for 7/2-7/5 and don't think the Swissotel is available for $79 anymore :). Either I did something wrong or the price is now $129.

Nevermind. I was looking for 3 people and not 2. The Swiss is a GREAT hotel and $79 for that weekend with the fireworks right outside your door rocks!

ETA: They are also running a "Breakfast on Us" promo at the Swissotel's website. $99 per night with buffet breakfast for 2 free. I think it's worth $20 more per night for breakfast for 2!

hi,

has anyone tried this with swissotel? i just looked online directly with them and their lowest rate is significantly MORE than what is on Orbitz...

-----------------------------------

Best Rates Guarantee

Looking for the best Internet rate at Swiss

hi again,

sorry, i've re-read the message that pops up on Orbitz when i enter the special code and i'm okay with 'losing' the price assurance feature!

however, i'd still be interested in a bidding strategy for that area, 4*, two adults ... max bid would be $65. i figure i can book on Orbitz for a total of $333.04 (including the 10% coupon). could i start at $50 and then add some re-bid areas?

please advise!

thanks

I don't think a bid for $50 would be accepted. I think my issue with this is that I'd rather book the Swiss for $71 and change than bid for $65 for a 4* on PRICELINE in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area and possibly get the Hyatt - the Swiss is a nicer hotel than the Hyatt.

Please use the site's Orbitz.com link if you do book the Swiss, and definitely use the deal0hotel coupon code.

At the 4* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65

Any questions feel free ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or obitz if you ultimately go that route for the Swissotel)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

hi thereuare,

thanks so much for the bidding strategy ... i tried a few times when you first posted and didn't get any takers. in the meantime, my husband did some digging and found out he has a corporate discount with swissotel (he works for a european company) ... SO, we've just decided to go with that since the rates were really good and the comments above seemed very positive.

thanks again!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]