Online Review sites

powerplantop
By powerplantop,
in

I do use Tripadvisor (I add reviews) but I take the reviews with a huge grain of salt. Any review with any thing like worst hotel ever I just reject. I have booked and enjoyed some really nice hotels then latter read some really bad reviews of the same hotel.

I am curious if others also do something similar.

I do use Tripadvisor (I add reviews) but I take the reviews with a huge grain of salt. Any review with any thing like worst hotel ever I just reject. I have booked and enjoyed some really nice hotels then latter read some really bad reviews of the same hotel.

I am curious if others also do something similar.

I always figure there is a "fringe" 5% on either end of any scale. Outlyers that can be safely ignored.

I actually read of a San Juan hotel where some employees were fired, and decided to get back at the hotel by posting really ugly reviews where ever they could. Seriously hurt the place's business.

Sometimes it is apparent just by what the complaints are that the people have pretty unreasonable expectations. Lack of washcloths in European hotels is a good example of that. Another one is crabby front desk. I figure a lot of that can be how that front desk was approached in the first place. Consig-however-you-spell-that. Expecting those guys to know some minute detail.

Sometimes I sort of dismiss a review as just basic "whiny baby" or "spoiled princess".

The age of reviews should be kept in mind too. Hotel ownership and management changes all the time. Good ones can slide and problem ones can get their act together.

Yup - huge grain of salt.

But I really do appreciate the middle ground where real people have taken the time to help both subsequent customers and the hotel (or warn subsequent customers and put the hotel on notice).

Romelle

I use Tripadvisor and when I read a really bad review, or an overly glowing review, I will look to see how many submissions were made by the individual. If this is the only review published, then I reject it out of hand as I feel that it could be a whiner or possibly submitted by management. I also feel that its human nature to moan and complain rather than offer praise.

• 4 months later...

I am a religious Tripadvisor review contributor and reader. I certainly want to keep Tripadvisor robust and objective.

I agree with previous poster. There are some obvious exceptionally bad reviews or too good to be true reviews outside of the scale of other typical reviews. I will take a look at this reviewer: when this reviewer actually registered with Tripadvisor (some actually registered the same day when they posted that review), how many contributing reviews he has submitted, and which hotel he submitted before, and in his bad review, did he include actual photo of the room he stayed (one can tell the occupied room or just room photo taken from the hotel web site.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]