Do you get to choose twin/queen/king sized beds after winning?

elisamaza
By elisamaza,
in

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I never used an opaque site to book hotels before, so I'm not sure how much flexibility you have after winning. I'm planning on a vacation to Hawaii with my husband and would like to save some $$$ on hotels. But I'm worried that after winning a bid on PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, I'll end up with a room with 2 twin beds. Can you request for a queen sized bed? Would you do this with the hotel directly before I arrive? or at check-in?

Thanks everyone! I'll make sure I use the support links when I make an offer.

Priceline only guarantees a room that will hold two people. After winning, you can contact the hotel directly and make a request for bed types. While they try to accommodate you, there are no guarantees. Your luck is better at the higher star levels.

One 3* place always gives a queen bed. If you want two twins, you have to pay another $10 a might.

I believe Hotwire would operate the same. No guarantees, but you can ask and they will try.

Romelle

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Romelle is correct in that you can call the hotel after your booking, but it is just a request and the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request... it's the trade-off you make for a deeply discounted rate.

PRICELINE only guarnatees double occupancy... HOTWIRE guarantees 'sleeping accomodations' for everyon you include in your search. After that it's at the discretion of the hotel. For a further discusion see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

If you'd still like to move forward let us know the details of your stay: desired star rating, city, zone, budget, date(s) etc and we'll advise accordingly.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

helloo,

i think you don need to get help from here...you simply go to hotel administration and request for the bed and i am definite they will arrange it for you because they don't wana to loose the customer ...they know once they do they will make you their client...so go and get

helloo,

i think you don need to get help from here...you simply go to hotel administration and request for the bed and i am definite they will arrange it for you because they don't wana to loose the customer ...they know once they do they will make you their client...so go and get

First welcome to Better bidding.

But I am going to be blunt you are giving wrong information. As has been reported on here some hotels charge more for some rooms or they will already be asigned to full rate customers before you check in. Example the Holiday INN website lets you chose what kind of bed you want. If all of the Queen beds are asigned to people who booked from the web site then there will be none left for PL customers.

That said most hotels will try to make you a happy customer.

• 5 months later...

Except for Holiday Inn, which apparently has a chainwide policy of giving PL guests the worst possible rooms, nearly all hotels will make every effort to accommodate your bed type preference. The best way is to send a fax to the property asking them nicely if they would please give you a king bed/connecting rooms/etc.

Maybe mbstone has had some bad experiences with Holiday inn, or maybe you were just lucky, whatever the case that was mbstone's opinion of the hotel chain. I personally can't stand Holiday Inn for a whole other set of reasons, and I cringe if I win one. But to each his or her own...

If mbsone had stated they had bad experinces at HI I would have agreed but he stated it as fact when its not true.

As anytime when on a PL stay I did consider myself lucky to be upgraded. It was a long stay and they hotel was at low ocupancy. Due to the great treatment I have been back for several stays book the normal way.

The HI chain is not for everyone for one thing they do not offer any kind of free breakfast. Over the years a high percent of the HI hotels have not been up to standards (nice way of saying they were dumps). The brand is undergoing a major upgrade and expansion. If the older hotels don't upgrade they are being stripped of the brand.

The new hotels that are being built are great here is an example of one I have stayed at three times. It is a great hotel but expensive. If you were to snag this one on PL you would be happy, but still no free breakfast.

http://travela.priceline.com/travelguides/...iewID=238939070

• 1 month later...

I just checked in to a Marriott Courtyard (Pensacola, FL) that I booked on PRICELINE. When I asked the desk clerk if he had a king room available, he said "they (meaning Priceline) say we cannot change a Priceline reservation once it comes in. If you want a special room type you have to request it through Priceline".

I have heard this same spiel from one other property, don't remember if it was another Marriott or not. On the other hand I have stayed at other Marriott properties through Priceline and have never had this problem.

When I tried to explain that there is no way to request a specific room type through Priceline, and that I had stayed at other Marriott properties through Priceline without this isue, I just got a shrug. What's the deal with these people, are they that clueless, or are they just trying not to be accomodating?

jstjohnz

Can you please post your PRICELINE win for the Marriott stay. It's good for historic reasons.

When I asked the desk clerk if he had a king room available, he said "they (meaning PRICELINE) say we cannot change a Priceline reservation once it comes in. If you want a special room type you have to request it through PRICELINE".

Hilarious comment :) It's comparable with the clerk in Fort Lauderdale that said "We can check in guests before 6 PM, it's the state law"

Yellowdog.

• 3 weeks later...

"As a PL guest I was told only smoking rooms are available (this seems to be a nationwide policy of HI) but I kept asking nicely and was accommodated in a NS room."

As was included in a discussion post on a popular frequent flyer website, below is partial guidance that the folks who run Priceline give to hotels which want to sign up to sell rooms through Priceline:

"Priceline guests are customers that might not have booked your hotel through normal channels (so please welcome them as a first time guest)"

and

"Accommodate Special Requests: You will try to accommodate, to the best of your ability, any special needs requested directly by a Priceline guest (i.e., bedding, smoking, etc.). "

and

"Extend Valued Guest Treatment: You will place the Priceline guest in a room comparable to (or better than) your "best available" room assignment. You will welcome the Priceline guest just as you would welcome any other valued guest. (Remember this is your opportunity to "brand" that guest for a return visit.)"

I found this info to be very interesting, and in direct rebuttal to some of the supposed "policies" that some hotels try to force on their Priceline customers.

• 7 months later...

I stayed at a courtyard in Lloyd District in Portland via Priceline, and it was actually two one night stays (the original win + an extended stay). Apparently, when you bid, the hotel assigns a specific room type up on Priceline. So in my case, for my original stay, I had 1 King, but for my 2nd night, the system had me in 2 Queens, which would have meant I would have had to move. Of course, the clerk changed it so I could keep my King and not move rooms, but in many cases they are stuck with what they have. If they had been sold out of Kings I would have had to leave my stuff at the desk until i could check in later.

Also, if you book at the last minute, you may be given a room choice. I stayed at the Marriott in Portland (not a courtyard) and I got a choice between 2Q and 1K. I left it up to the hotel to decide, as I was traveling alone. Case in point, each hotel operates differently (even different brands in the same chain).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]