LAS CAR RENT

shah_vm
By shah_vm,
in

Hi

I have been watching car rent for above mention period from last week. It was dropping everyday until last sat at 99 USD incl. of all tax for 4 days. Since the price were dropping i decided to wait on monday when i was checking the price i was shocked to see rent is almost doubled. it is now going for 182 USD for the same period. Now even priceline is not accepting lower bid. My last bid was for 18 USD which was rejected. Any reason for sudden spike in rent.

Well rates have changed again.

:)

Hotwire's Compact is $25.90/day now ($148.45 total).

An aside about Hotwire's color scheme. The $25.90 listing is in gray. Usually the text is red. The gray means this is a conventional booking, not an opaque purchase. Hotwire is telling you a conventional booking is cheaper than any of their opaque inventory. Or they have no opaque inventory in that car class. This gray color has been showing up more frequently lately. A few times I've clicked through and it's brought me to a conventional booking with an "off" brand---Thrifty, Payless, or Dollar. This is the first time I've seen Alamo on clickthrough.

This could be cheaper on Alamo's website, or without a booking fee. I haven't checked.

Bidders in several cities have reported sudden large jumps in car rental rates lately---higher than a few weeks ago or higher than they've ever paid in that market before. I don't know if prices will go up or down but $25.90/day seems like good protection against possibly having to pay $70 or $80 two weeks from now.

Well rates have changed again.

Hotwire's Compact is $25.90/day now ($148.45 total).

An aside about Hotwire's color scheme. The $25.90 listing is in gray. Usually the text is red. The gray means this is a conventional booking, not an opaque purchase. Hotwire is telling you a conventional booking is cheaper than any of their opaque inventory. Or they have no opaque inventory in that car class. This gray color has been showing up more frequently lately. A few times I've clicked through and it's brought me to a conventional booking with an "off" brand---Thrifty, Payless, or Dollar. This is the first time I've seen Alamo on clickthrough.

This could be cheaper on Alamo's website, or without a booking fee. I haven't checked.

Bidders in several cities have reported sudden large jumps in car rental rates lately---higher than a few weeks ago or higher than they've ever paid in that market before. I don't know if prices will go up or down but $25.90/day seems like good protection against possibly having to pay $70 or $80 two weeks from now.

Thanks for sharing. I am unable to see $25.90 still showing me $41.95/day for compact. :)

How often should i check the price on hotwire?

And now I'm seeing $39.95 for Compact.

But this is interesting...renting a car for 5 days turns out to be cheaper than renting for 4.

4 days 4/26-4/30. Hotwire rate $39.95/day; $220.38 total.

5 days 4/26-5/1. Hotwire rate $25.95/day; $190.33 total.

5 nights are $30 cheaper than 4 nights, probably because 5 nights moves you into a cheaper weekly rate.

And now I'm seeing $39.95 for Compact.

But this is interesting...renting a car for 5 days turns out to be cheaper than renting for 4.

4 days 4/26-4/30. Hotwire rate $39.95/day; $220.38 total.

5 days 4/26-5/1. Hotwire rate $25.95/day; $190.33 total.

5 nights are $30 cheaper than 4 nights, probably because 5 nights moves you into a cheaper weekly rate.

What if i rent for 5 days and then return after 4 days will get refund for one day. :)

I think you were kidding but you'll definitely NOT get a refund if you return the 5 day rental a day early. It's a lower rate for people who rent for 5 days or more.

As I understand it though you can return the Hotwire car early without penalty. Some rental contracts actually charge a penalty for bringing the car back a day early.

I think you were kidding but you'll definitely NOT get a refund if you return the 5 day rental a day early. It's a lower rate for people who rent for 5 days or more.

As I understand it though you can return the Hotwire car early without penalty. Some rental contracts actually charge a penalty for bringing the car back a day early.

yes was kidding. but tempted to do so. :)

If you can't get a good deal on Hotwire or Priceline you should book the best cancellable rate you can find now, to protect yourself against a rate increase. Then keep watching and bidding til you leave.

Originally you were talking about renting a Compact or Economy and now you've reserved an SUV. Do you need an SUV now?

If you just want a vehicle and don't care about size I would try bidding $25 for Midsize, Compact, Economy on Priceline. Any of those would beat the Fox rate and put you with a more established rental company. (Nothing against Fox. I've never rented from them.)

If you can't get a good deal on Hotwire or Priceline you should book the best cancellable rate you can find now, to protect yourself against a rate increase. Then keep watching and bidding til you leave.

Originally you were talking about renting a Compact or Economy and now you've reserved an SUV. Do you need an SUV now?

If you just want a vehicle and don't care about size I would try bidding $25 for Midsize, Compact, Economy on Priceline. Any of those would beat the Fox rate and put you with a more established rental company. (Nothing against Fox. I've never rented from them.)

I dont need SUV. It is too big for me. But SUV is the one that I get better rate than compact or economy. Do i stand any chance to do nego. at the counter on arrival.

I've noticed examples lately too, in other cities, where SUV was the cheapest vehicle class offered. Cheaper than an Economy.

No, I don't think you stand much chance of negotiating a lower rate than what you have reserved at the counter. Virtually no chance.

Have you tried beating your $168 total at Fox by bidding on Priceline?

I've noticed examples lately too, in other cities, where SUV was the cheapest vehicle class offered. Cheaper than an Economy.

No, I don't think you stand much chance of negotiating a lower rate than what you have reserved at the counter. Virtually no chance.

Have you tried beating your $168 total at Fox by bidding on Priceline?

I have not dont bidding on priceline for SUV. It is quite high on priceline to bid. Once i bid i need to wait for 24 hrs to re-bid. I am now considering to rent car for only one day instead of 4 days. I find renting car is more expensive than my hotel room. The day i rent car will go to grand canyon and vegas strip i will take local transport.

I have not dont bidding on priceline for SUV. It is quite high on priceline to bid. Once i bid i need to wait for 24 hrs to re-bid. I am now considering to rent car for only one day instead of 4 days. I find renting car is more expensive than my hotel room. The day i rent car will go to grand canyon and vegas strip i will take local transport.

I think rent is dropping now. I see alamo is now asking 143 USD for 4 days.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]