Priceline Hotel: Bid early in Chicago?

betsybug
By betsybug,
in

In reviewing this board for an October trip to Chicago, I noticed a trend that I haven't seen before. Bidding early could be the best strategy in Chicago.

I saw five winning bids for Chicago at the 4* Swissotel (North Michigan Ave) for $79-80 for October. All were won 4-5 months before October. One of them was a bid by our moderator. This is a great hotel - justifiably rated 4.5* on Hotwire.

I am bidding 6 weeks before October. I bid up to $80 and can get no NMA 4* hotel - and none in River North either. This is despite excellent availability and low web site rates in the $200 range (low for Chicago weekend with conventions).

The question comes up often - bid early or bid late?

My hypothesis for Chicago is bid early. Do you agree?

I always favor bidding early... as soon as i know my plans are firm.

Have a good understanding of prices in the area and don't overbid early-on.... lots to gain and nothing to lose.

Have you seen this thread: SHOULD I BID PRICELINE EARLY OR LATE?

Two more advantages of bidding early (rare, but it happens):

-zones could always change/merge... thus making it harder to target a specific hotel (of course the opposite is true too... but if conditions are favorable today it's advantageous to bid because they may not be as favorable tomorrow if zone boundaries are re-defined)

-not that it can be relied on, but a hotel received early also has more time to be downgraded before your stay... and if it is you then (usually) have the option of cancelling

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]