Priceline Hotel: How will the hurricane affect Florida bids?

iahphx
By iahphx,
in

I've got a couple of trips planned for Miami in the next few weeks and am wondering whether the hurricane (hopefully singular) will affect priceline bidding. Will hotels be more likely to dump inventory, on the assumption that Florida tourism will be depressed for a couple of months? Or are there still folks camped out in Miami from places north (without power) that will make hotels less likely to discount now (at least for a couple of weeks)? Or will it make no difference?

I'll let you know what my experience is.

• 3 months later...

I have tried to visit my Dad in Port Charlotte several times since the huricaines hit there and I am still having difficulty getting a room in the area. It isn't the residents hit by storm-damage who are taking all the rooms, although there are a fair number of those. It is the workers who have come in the perform construction, re-roofing, tiling, and landscaping.

Also note that a couple of Punta Gorda hotels have been wiped out. You can still (several months later) drive by the Punta Gorda Holiday Inn -- and it is "see-through" hotel, just the frame standing with no walls.

My dad has a small trailer in his front yard provided by FEMA, but there is no room in his inn, so usually drive over and back in the same day (I live on the other coast).

In past years I have always stayed at the Port Charlotte Days Inn, which is a terrific hotel, and gotten a good rate from the Days Inn website. I think in past years I may have paid over $100 per night.

The last trip at Thanksgiving I still could not find a room in the area, and I resorted to a one-star PriceLine bid in Fort Meyers, which is a good 1/2 hour from Port Charlotte. I got a fine room at the Howard Johnson Fort Meyers but I don't remember the rate.

I'm going to try again at Christmas this year, and after I read some bidding hints here at this site, I'll post my results.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]