CA San Diego Paradise Point Resort and Spa

gotthere
By gotthere,
in

I stayed here between October 13-16, 2008. Sorry that I'm just now getting around to posting my review. On October 10, 2008, I got an accepted bid of $96.00 for 3.5* for San Diego Coastal. I was attending a convention in downtown San Diego. The reason that I am back on Better Bidding now is that I was just going to post my accepted bid made today for 4* San Diego Coastal. (Details on the correct forum.) The reason that I brought this up is that my bid was $91.00 today for 4* SD Coastal and I got the Hyatt Regency La Jolla and I wanted to make a comparison.

Paradise Point is a "Resort and Spa" and I was on a business trip. In October 2008, I was hoping for a business style hotel. Paradise Point reminds me of a tropical island resort. For business trips, I prefer the modern high rise hotels. Paradise Point is divided into many 2 or 3 unit buildings and each unit is a hotel room. The complex appears to have been constructed in the 1950s or 1960s and on the outside, many of the units look old. It appears that a lot of work has been put in by the management to upgrade the rooms and the grounds. There are multiple beautiful swimming pools with recliners and lots of clean towels. I would say this place would be best for couples or families trying to find that laid back tropical feel, possibly like a place one would find on the Mexican coast. Driving around the complex you can see some beautiful areas of this resort and some areas that look a little worn.

Here is my personal experience as to what it was like here. When I first arrived they put me in a unit that was over to one side and it didn't appear that there was anyone staying in the area. All the parking spaces were empty. Of course, October must have been the "off season" for a resort. My room looked nice but a little worn. It was fairly large and the bath was pretty nice. The problem was that the person in adjoining unit had the TV up loud and I could hear every word. I knew that I had to get a different room. Customer service moved me to a different room across the complex and the room was much nicer. It seemed, though, to have the slightest odor of marijuana. I could live with that compared to the other room. This room was significantly nicer than the first room. The bed, carpet and bath seemed new. The porch light was out so I called and the next day they fixed it. One of the towel racks was a loose and they fixed that also.

My overall opinion is that this place is probably a solid 3* if you get the good rooms. I would say that the first room that I got would make this place a 2.5*. For summer, beach, pool and family vacationers, Paradise Point is fine. If you are on a business trip and want a business hotel, be careful about bidding on a 3.5* in San Diego Coastal. I got rejected on 4* SD Coastal in October. I think that my current stay at Hyatt Regency La Jolla this time is closer to what I prefer being listed as 4* SD Coastal for $91.00.

The resort charges $22.00 per night parking, which in a downtown seems about the going rate in most larger California cities. I thought that it was a little steep here because most hotels and resorts outside of the city center usually have free parking. Paradise Point is far enough out of the way that you will need a car if you stay here.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]