Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Hilton Chicago

johnnyq
By johnnyq,
in

Hi, You guys rock.

I am Johnny and I just booked the 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Hilton Chicago from 05/26-05/29 for $69 per night. Then I called to see if they have a microwave, fridge, and comp breakfast, they were not very nice after they found out I was a price line customer and they nickle and dime everything. They want $43 per day for parking, it will be $129 for me for 3 nights and not breakfast and a $40 charge for fridge. I feel like I got a bad deal. What do you think? Any thoughts of yours would be great.

Thank you,

Johnny

Welcome to the site.

The average parking fee for a hotel in Chicago is around $40, and some hotels charge $50. The only hotel that offers free parking is the Best Western River North, and that has never appeared as a PRICELINE win; otherwise, all hotels charge big bucks for parking, and the price only continues to go up. This is not because you were a PRICELINE customer, it's what they charge.

There are only a handful - literally - of hotels that offer free breakfast - mainly, the Embassy Suites/Homewood Suites type of properties. As is common with big city hotels, breakfast isn't commonly offered for free.

$40 bucks for a fridge seems a bit much, but I'm not surprised at all about no breakfast or expensive parking - very common for big city hotels - Chicago, NYC, etc. I'm guessing this is what they'd charge any guest.

$69 is a terrific deal for a 4* property in the city. I'm not sure why you feel you got a bad deal, as $69 is better than paying the lowest rate on the website - $161 (and $161 + $40 parking + etc.)

Thank you for reporting your win, and hopefully you will find your stay at the hotel enjoyable.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

All of the above expenses are what the hotel charges, not because you're a PRICELINE customer, so if the guest who booked thru coventional means wanted all these things, s/he would be paying the same rate... but also $100 more per nite for the room! :)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You could buy a styrofoam cooler at any drugstore or convenience store for a couple of dollars. That could save you some money, assuming the Hilton doesn't nickel and dime you and charge you for ice by the cube. :)

You know, that's actually a really good idea. I'm sure any local CVS or Walgreens will be happy to sell you one for less than what the Hilton's charging.

You know, that's actually a really good idea. I'm sure any local CVS or Walgreens will be happy to sell you one for less than what the Hilton's charging.

Thanks! Sometimes my brain has its moments :)

A cooler should only cost two or three dollars. I would personally stock it with milk and orange juice, as to avoid a 6 dollar a glass of OJ in the morning at the Hilton restaurant. Keep the beers and sodas (that's "pop" for you Chicago people) out of the cooler to save space for things that need to stay cold all the time. Fill sink at night a few minutes before you want a drink with ice and water (better overall contact to the cans or bottles) and your beverage should be chilled in less than 5 minutes.

I drive the better half nuts doing things like this, but trust me, it REALLY adds up in savings... especially when it comes to milk and OJ, wine, beer, soda, etc.

Happy city camping! :)

Thank you all for making me feel better I guess I am just use to the comfort suites and Hilton was not very nice to over the phone so made me feel that way. I was wondering what are the other good deals in downtown chicago that you knonw about?

Thanks again for replying

Thank you all for making me feel better I guess I am just use to the comfort suites and Hilton was not very nice to over the phone so made me feel that way. I was wondering what are the other good deals in downtown chicago that you knonw about?

Thanks again for replying

I hate to say this but... "Welcome to Chicago". I know that Aaron and others will disagree. I would LOVE to know where you live! I moved here from Florida, and it has been nothing but misery and torture when it comes to "hospitality" in Chicago. Maybe I am just unlucky, but in all honesty, it's nice to hear of someone else having trouble.

I thought I was losing my mind until last month when I was fortunate enough to vacation in Florida. Then I was reminded of the truly "first class" world. And it's not just at the 5 star resorts, but at the holes in the wall, they treat you well. Again... "welcome" to Chicago... good luck finding that here.

As far as deals in downtown Chicago, I don't really know of much. I am curious as to why you will have a car in Chicago. Are you driving here? Are you renting a car from the airport (please don't)? Don't rent a car. You are here for a convention? Why can't you stay outside of the city and take the Metra in? But then again, you mention you will be traveling with children. What do you plan on doing with your children when you are at a convention?

If you are flying in here, don't rent a car, you don't need it. The public transportation from Ohare and Midway are fine. And once you are in the city, you would absolutely hate having a car, it's completely worthless. You are staying at a 4+* hotel, make the concierge earn their salary. Ask them how to get from point A to B. Then ask the bum outside of the hotel for good advice (give him a dollar or two and get the RIGHT answer). You'd be surprised.

Oh, I feel for you. Again, the others would disagree. But from your statements, it sounds like you come from a friendly State. Please be aware that the sales tax in Chicago is absolutely ridiculous. 12 or so percent. Unless you like paying 7 dollars for a hot dog that is ruined with pickles and tomato slices on top of it, with the ridiculous poppy seeds, it will not be worth your money to eat in the city (let the flame wars begin!)... it's just not worth it.

Take care,

Miss Poofy

:)

Oh Miss Poofy, I beg to differ. I've lived here all my life and think Chicago is about the friendliest big city around. But maybe it's just me - I'm the kind of person who can strike up a conversation with anyone and I find that when you treat people nicely, the kindness is returned. Also, I use Priceline and Hotwire a LOT and have always been treated kindly when I check in. My kids and I stayed at a Hyatt Place last week paying $34 a night and we got upgraded to one of their larger double bed rooms; front desk staff gave my kids free milk and cookies, offered us late check out - treated us like gold. And I love taking my kids downtown and just walking down Michigan Avenue to window shop, or exploring Millennium Park and making faces in the "Bean" and taking our shoes off and running through Crown Fountain. Or hanging out on a free public beach on a warm summer day. Or enjoying a picnic & riding our bikes at one of the local Forest Preserves. You don't have to spend a dime to do any of that, but you might spend a few extra pennies on your sales tax when you eat that messy Chicago hot dog with tomato and pickle and celery salt on a poppy seed bun (no onions or ketchup for me, please.) There are so many wonderful things to do in this area that cost nothing. Hey, and to get downtown for the weekend we can buy a weekend Metra pass for $5 for me and the kids are free - talk about a bargain. And If you want to talk about kindness, AaronJB spends countless hours on here and the TA Chicago forum trying to help people and give them advice on saving money not just on their hotels, but on parking, groceries, etc. So please don't tell me there is no hospitality in this city. My theory is that people who are negative get negativity in return. Just my 2 cents.

First of all, I want to thank you all again for your inputs whether constructive, helpful or not.

Secnodly, I have visted many major cities in the world and stayed at many hotels. I am a postive person and I always try to be kind to everyone. I just want to let people know that Hilton Chicago did not do a good job over the phone in terms of customer sevice. That's all.

There is no need to get the character of Chicago involove and no need to lecture me on how big cities work, I was born and raised in city of eight million people.

The End

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]