Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USW-Nob Hill) Hilton San Francisco

lanesway
By lanesway,
in

Hi,

My wife and I (along with our 1 yr old) will be staying in SF from 8/7 to 8/11 for a conference. We have to pay for the room ourselves and the conference rate is way too high for our budget ($200/night). The conference is being held at two hotels, the Hilton and Parc 55. We'd like to stay close to these hotels (or even in them) if possible. From checking hotwire rates and winning bids from this board, I think the most we'd like to pay is $125, but would much prefer the $70-$80 range. Is that reasonable? Is it better to bid now or wait? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Can't hurt to try bidding now. You should be able to find something in your budget, but you may have to be patient or go down to 3*. If the conference is a big one, it may prove more difficult.

If you want to stay close to the Hilton and Parc 55, just bid in that zone, along with your free rebids, of course. You could also bid in Nob Hill and FD/EMB, they're not far. August is a long way away, so you may want to bid just once or twice a week so you don't get frustrated. Read FAQs if you're not familiar with rebids. Hope this helps.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

As far as "when to bid" see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

With PRICELINE you'll be subject to any hotel in the zone at the minimum star rating (or higher) that you select... with HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to the hotel you will likely receive based upon the amenities that are shown to be associated with the property; however, priceline is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE.

So you'll need to decide if you're goal is to try to target the Hilton and/or Parc 55 OR if price is the most important objective and you'll be able to accept a hotel anywhere within the zone(s) you select.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Let us know once you're ready to move forward and which zones you're willing to accpet, we'll then advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick replies! We'd like to stay close to the Hilton and Parc 55, but not necessarily in them (in fact, there are some advantages to NOT staying in them!). Price is definitely the most important criterion, so I'm pretty sure I'd like to go with Priceline. And I'll probably start bidding soon, just so I can get hotel reservations out of the way.

I guess my question is, from your experiences/collective wisdom, what are the general price ranges for hotels at different star levels in those zones (US-E, US-W, Soma)? From what I can tell, by looking at winning bids, it looks like 4* star hotels are going for $70-$80 (although for a different time of the year). Would 3.5* star hotels be much cheaper? If so, by how much?

Right now, our preferences are 4* hotel n US-E and US-W (and would be willing to stay in Soma if necessary)

Thanks for all the help!

Right now, our preferences are 4* hotel n US-E and US-W

If the above is your preference then why not just start there and try for what you want?

Rates are not terribly high for your dates and i suspect you should be able to get something wihtin reason (sub-$100)... but let us know your maximum bid for a 4* in one of these two zones and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

I'll add that what looks like the InterContinental appears to be avaialble on HOTWIRE for $119/nite, generally gets good reviews, and from looking at a map appears to be a short walk to the Parc 55 and/or Hilton.

Let us know how you'd like proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply on all of this, but I had to wait until some my plans solidified. It looks like we now will be in SF from 8/6 to 8/12. I used the PRICELINE links to do the following:

Bid for 8/6 to 8/8:

1st bid: $75 for a 4* (USW)- accepted (it was the Hilton SF).

Bid for 8/10-8/12:

1st bid: $75 for a 4* (USW)- rejected

2nd bid: add (USE)- rejected

3rd bid: lower star level to 3.5* and raise bid to $80- accepted (Hotel Nikko)

Now, here's my question, and I'd appreciate any help. My family would really like to stay in a suite from 8/8-8/10. I realize priceline isn't for suites, but does anyone know of any good deals for suites in the union square area? I've searched and the closest I can find (via Hotwire Travel Ticker) is the Hotel Kubuki (sp?) for $150/night in Japantown. We'd like to be a little closer to union square, though. Any ideas? We'd be willing to go up to $200/night

Isn't all that moving around a bit of a hassle?

I don't have much info on suites, but I have had a good experience with a winning bid for two rooms at the Nikko then calling the hotel and asking for adjoining rooms with the door between them. Nikko has a particularly sweet setup in which the two rooms don't have a door between them but instead have a small common hallway/mini-foyer arrangement in which occupants of both rooms first swipe their key to get into the common area, then swipe their individual keys to get into their respective rooms. Also the double/double rooms in the Nikko are quite spacious. Hilton and Parc55 double/double rooms are tiny. IMO Nikko is much nicer than Hilton or Parc 55.

Maybe Hotwire would work better for you. Perhaps the more knowledgeable people here can comment...

Definitely a bit of a hassle, but we wanted to save some money on those days when a standard room would suffice.

Thanks for the Nikko tip. How likely do you think it is that we could (1) get the Nikko again, and (2) get adjoining rooms? Would we have a decent shot if we made the same bid that won it for us the first time? My sense is that there's no guarantees with these things, and I'd hate to make a bid on two rooms, and get stuck with the Hilton or the like (as well as possibly run the risk of not getting adjoining rooms).

Congratulations on your success(es)!

Please only post one win per thread as this allows the topic title to reflect the information that is contained within the thread, as well as allows each to appear in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

We've used this thread to reflect your first purchase of the Hilton, please start a NEW TOPIC for your Hotel Nikko win, and another thread for your remaining nites of 8/8-8/10, and we'll discuss your options and gameplan there.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

You might want to check out Grosvenor House Suites, the Donatello, The Gaylord Suites Hotel and other timeshare-type properties. It may be possible to get a suite/1-bedroom apt for less than your limit. You will have to dig, though. It's my guess that you'll have getting what you want through PL/HW. Even if you get 2 rooms, I don't think they'll promise that they're adjoining. Also - check out potential deals on travelzoo.com, HOTWIRE travelticker and Shermans Travel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]