Hotel star ratings

dmsklutz
By dmsklutz,
in

Hiya...

I heard through the grapevine that HOTWIRE is now using 3 other travel sites as a base rating and then changing up or down based on customer feedback.

They now compare against Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia for the average.

Clipped from their website:

How we calculate our Star Ratings:

* Take the average rating on three top travel sites

* Factor in customer feedback -- we receive over half a million reviews per year

* Adjust the ratings downward if a majority of customers say we should

So star ratings over the next few months might start changing to reflect our experiences better!! :) :o :)

HOTWIRE restructured their entire star rating system back in January and while there was a systemwide adjustment, i don't think it's really anything that 'new' other than adjusting what they consider a 3*, what they consider a 4*, etc, etc. They have always 'considered' the star ratings of other companies and then tweaked based upon customer feedback and their own inspections, so nothing really groundbreaking above, imo.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

What about Priceline's ratings? For example, looking for hotels in downtown Vancouver, BC, Hotwire gives an offer of a 5-star hotel for $95 (plus tax, I gather). Priceline doesn't even lists any 5-star hotels in Vancouver, either on its list of specific hotels, or among the categories one can bid on. Expedia lists no 5-star ratings for that city. Travelocity lists 3 5-star hotels. Offhand I'd go with the 5-star hotel through Hotwire, though the fact that it's listed at alower price than some 4-star hotels (unnamed, of course)

makes me wonder.

Hi there

What happens if you have booked a property based on the star rating abnd this rating falls?

Have booked a 3.5 star in NYC and from reading a few reviews on tripadvisor they state that hotwire has advised them they have lowered it to a 3 star?

Any help appreciated

you may want to contact HOTWIRE's customer care via email and ask if the hotel has been downgraded, if so, you should receive "hot Dollars" for each night which can be used towards a future stay. You may also cancel the reservation without penalty if you want to try something else.

you may want to contact HOTWIRE's customer care via email and ask if the hotel has been downgraded, if so, you should receive "hot Dollars" for each night which can be used towards a future stay. You may also cancel the reservation without penalty if you want to try something else.

Thanks will do !!

• 1 month later...

After I booked a 3* hotel in Cleveland, I was surprised. 2.5 was upgraded to 3*!

I went back and studied the icons; so I observed the complementary breakfast icon. Before 3* had "Restaurants", 2.5 had "Complementary Breakfasts".

So this should be a way to check prior 2.5*'s that were pretty good and that HOTWIRE shows as "Best Value", and has a good Trip Advisor icon.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]