Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USW-Nob Hill) Parc 55

stateofflux
By stateofflux,
in

Used the PRICELINE link from this site.

Went for 4* hotel in USW area, hoping to get Parc 55 or Stanford. Went for $70, as I saw that that was the lowest price that had won recently on another trip. Could have tried $65, but risked not getting a rebid, and would then have to wait 24 hours (wasn't keen on trying other areas). Happy with the win.

(oops - please edit the dates in the title - I meant May, not March - 05/02/09 - 05/05/09)

Could have tried $65, but risked not getting a rebid, and would then have to wait 24 hours (wasn't keen on trying other areas).

Thanks for posting your winning bid results.

As to your comment above about rebidding, you had 4 "free" rebid zones at your disposal rather than being restriced to 24 hours before submitting another bid. The Civic Center, Fisherman's Wharf, Marina and South San Francisco zones do not offer 4 star bidding, so they are considered "free" rebid zones you could have added. As long as you kept your bidding at the 4 star level, there was no way to be assigned a hotel in either of those 4 zones. If you're unsure of the concept of "free" rebidding, by all means speak up as we are here to help!

You are absolutely correct the hotel list here at Better Bidding should not be used to determine free rebid zones for the reasons you stated (new hotels not yet reported, changing star levels, etc). The way to determine free rebid zones is on Priceline's own website. When Priceline displays all the available bid zones for San Francisco (or any other city), you simply check the box beside each zone, separately, one at a time, in order to determine what star levels are offered in each zone. For instance, check the box in the first zone, Civic Center, and you'll see 4 and 3 1/2 stars are greyed out. This means that this zone does not offer any hotels above 3 stars, making it a "free" rebid zone when bidding 3 1/2 or 4 stars. Do this simple exercise for each zone and you'll be able to determine the 4 free rebid zones I mentioned in my earlier post. Once you've got the hang of this, you can use the free rebid strategy with assurance.

From what I've read, I'll be fine without a car in San Francisco - especially in this location. Only hiring a car on our last day in San Fran for our drive to Lake Tahoe and then on to Vegas!

As long as you confine your stay in San Francisco within the City itself, I agree you do not need a car. The problem with using a car to travel within San Francisco is that you'll have to pay for parking anywhere you go, in addition to the nightly hotel and/or garage rates. Many areas of the City are within walking distance of your centrally-located Union Square hotel. And for those that aren't, SF has many public transportation options.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]