Priceline Rental Cars

sferg
By sferg,
in

I having been trying to bid on a rental car through Priceline. After I put in all my information and place a bid, I get

"Unfortunately, our Name Your Own Price service was unable to locate an available rental car for the area and dates you selected. However, we have found a broad selection of rental car options below." and then a list of regular price rentals.

Has anyone else encountered this before?

Here are the details of my trip and I am under 25: 3/28-3/31 from Newark Airport, NJ

edit: also it lets me rebid immediately in the same browser window!

Not really so unusual... your bid was not accepted, and as PRICELINE knows you're looking for a rental, they're showing you the offerings thru their "retail" car rental product.

What are the amounts of your previously rejected bids and for what car class?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok. I wasn't sure if it was an error or what.

I am bidding for a compact car and my bidding history is $15,20,25,30,35.

Keep in mind that I am 23, so with I have to pay an additional $27/day on top of the regular rental rate.

The best price I have found is $220 (incl $27/day) with Hertz, so I am willing to bid higher.

I will rebid tonight and let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks!

I am bidding for a compact car and my bidding history is $15,20,25,30,35.

Keep in mind that I am 23, so with I have to pay an additional $27/day on top of the regular rental rate.

If you click the link on top of the box where you enter your age, this is currently part of the message that appears:

With priceline.com, you should include these additional fees in your offer price. If your request is accepted, you will not be charged any additional Young Renter Fees at the rental counter.
(italics added by me for emphasis)

While the underage fee varies from company to company, using your $27 figure, your $30 bid was really like a $3 bid and your $35 bid was really like an $8 bid... clearly not enough :)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 months later...

I ended up renting a car from Hertz directly because they had a spring break special where they waived the additional $27/day. So the rate was higher (than what i would have got on priceline/hotwire), but it worked out because I didn't have the additional fee.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]