Hotwire Hotel: 3* San Fransisco (USW) Hotel California

thombo
By thombo,
in

New to this board and new to using HOTWIRE, so I appreciate all the suggestions and advice out there.

I'm traveling to SF in May and I'm looking to stay in the US East or West area 5/16-/5/19. As of right now the Hotwire price quotes are generally higher than the prices I've seen for the same locations/stars reported by other members of this board.

Should I wait until closer to my travel dates with the expectation that prices will drop? Or is the price difference simply due to May being a more popular travel month?

Thanks.

In May, the weather is starting to improve, so that may be a part of the reason why. There may also be some conventions that are driving the prices up. Somewhere in the general tips on Priceline or Hotwire - the California section, I think - there is a San Francisco convention checker. That may give you a little more info.

Even when things seem expensive and tight, hotels and prices can loosen up closer to the date. So if you have the nerve, sit tight and hang in there. It's a good idea to have a backup you can cancel, though!

thombo,

Welcome to BetterBidding.

What Hotwire rates are you seeing in USE and USW for your dates? What's your hotel budget? How many in your party? Will a room with one bed work so that Priceline might be an option? Priceline usually beats Hotwire on price, but Priceline only guarantees double occupancy, which could be a room with one bed.

hookedontravel,

If you want help with your own stay please start a New Topic.

Using the convention checker i found this:

05.16.09 - 05.21.09 American Psychiatric Association

2009 Annual Convention

Saturday, 5/16/2009 through Thursday, 5/21/2009

Attendance: 20000

Peak Rooms: 8500

I think this would be considered pretty decent size convention for San Francisco and is likely effecting the hotel rates you're seeing.

If the conference is not well attended you may see rates drop as you get closer as hotels release rooms they were otherwise 'holding' in hopes of attracting conventioneers (who often pay rack rates) or get cancellations from those who booked rooms and decided not to attend. On the otherhand, if the conference is well attended, you coudl see rates go even higher.

Not sure your thoughts regarding waiting, lower your star rating (i am seeing 3.5* hotels in USE/USW in the low $100's and a 3.5* in the Embarcadero zone for $90), or raising your budget for a 4*.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help identifying:

Dates: 5/16-5/19

4 Stars

Price: $99/night

Amenities:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-speed Internet Access

Spa Services

Also, how is the Nob Hill location for 2 younger people looking to explore the neighborhoods, restaurants, shops, cafes, etc of SF? We aren't all that interested in the more touristy things, and we're definitely not there on business. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

The Huntington is my best guess - it seems highly likely. The Huntington is a grand old hotel with a location right near the top of Nob Hill. It's walkable to many places, as long as you don't mind going up and down hills. Two cable cars go right by - the California and the Powell/Hyde line. I think Nob Hill is a fine choice as a place to stay, but it isn't exactly hip. It is quiet.

There are hipper hotels - like those in the Kimpton chain and the Joie de Vivre group. If you want to be closer to bars and clubs, SOMA might be an option. It can be noisy, though. Central to SOMA and Nob Hill are USE and USW. Fishermans Wharf is probably too touristy for you. Some cool areas to hang out might be the Haight (Sorta still hippie), the Mission (hip but gentrified Hispanic area) and the Castro (obviously gay but straight people hang out there, too). North Beach has great restaurants and bars - don't let the strip clubs scare you away. Chinatown is interesting, bit no place you probably want to be at night.

Hope this helps...

Sorry it didn't work out, Thombo. As info, this hotel (Huntington) was already identified on the hotel list here at Better Bidding. I was just wondering if you are aware of the hotel lists on this website? Reason I ask is because a lot of the newer people to this site have been asking for IDs of hotels already identified on the lists. Just want to make sure you're aware of all the great tools availalbe here at Better Bidding! Good luck with your SF search -- I hope the Huntington comes back up again at a lower price.

Sorry it didn't work out, Thombo. As info, this hotel (Huntington) was already identified on the hotel list here at Better Bidding. I was just wondering if you are aware of the hotel lists on this website? Reason I ask is because a lot of the newer people to this site have been asking for IDs of hotels already identified on the lists. Just want to make sure you're aware of all the great tools availalbe here at Better Bidding! Good luck with your SF search -- I hope the Huntington comes back up again at a lower price.

You're correct - this is my first time with HOTWIRE and with BetterBidding, so I was just looking for some added assurace. I now know how fleeting some of these prices are. Thanks for the response.

I'm looking at a 4* at $94 for the night of 5/22/09. Amenities include Fitness, Restaurant, Biz Center, and Internet access.

Is there any way to predict whether it will be the CLIFT, Parc 55 or Hilton Towers? And probably more importantly, can you go wrong with either of those three at $94?

THanks.

Looking at the vacation packages, the Hilton Union Square SF (which I think you're referring to as the Hilton Towers) also has a pool amenity. So it probably isn't that one.

As for the Clift or the Parc 55 - I can't tell which one it is, but I don't think you can go wrong at that price for either one. The Clift might be a little cooler, but the Parc 55 is very central and people seem to like it. Both are in relatively busy areas, so you might want to request a high floor so you don't hear street noise. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thoughts. I just wound up booking the Parc 55 for the same price I would have gotten from Hotwire (if it was the Parc and not the Clift). Clift looked more intriguing, but I like the certainty of booking through the hotel's site (and with that I can cancel if necessary). I'm still on the lookout to book via HOTWIRE for 5/16-5/19 though... wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing a 2* in USW that doesn't match any of the hotels in the list. Amenities are as follows:

Boutique

Smoke Free Rooms

Complimentary Breakfast

I'm looking at staying there 5/16-5/19

I thought maybe it would be the Baldwin Hotel, but I checked their website and they don't currently have any vacancies for that time period...

Appreciate your help!!!

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

This property has not yet been identified, but considering you were previously considering a 4* hotel, do you think you're going to be happy with a 2* rated property with a 3/5 Tripadvisor rating??

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I really don't recommend buying an opaque 2* in USW, thombo. Hotwire doesn't have a 1* rating. 2* is the lowest. It could be okay, but there's very high risk of disappointment.

You've got a cancellable reservation at Parc55 for $94, I believe. What's your goal now? Lower price? A different style of hotel than Parc55?

I really don't recommend buying an opaque 2* in USW, thombo. Hotwire doesn't have a 1* rating. 2* is the lowest. It could be okay, but there's very high risk of disappointment.

You've got a cancellable reservation at Parc55 for $94, I believe. What's your goal now? Lower price? A different style of hotel than Parc55?

You're right, I do have a night at Parc55 for the tail end of my trip, though I'm still looking for a place for the first weekend I'm in SF. Thanks for the advice on the 2*.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

This property has not yet been identified, but considering you were previously considering a 4* hotel, do you think you're going to be happy with a 2* rated property with a 3/5 Tripadvisor rating??

Thereuare - my apologies for starting a new thread. I was previously considering a 4* not necessarily because I'm a regular 4* hotel kind of guy, but rather because I generally won't turn down a 4* for $99. Generally my standards aren't that high - I spend a lot of time traveling in central America, where you learn to appreciate the small things.

Thanks again for the help from this board.

Allright I think I understand now, thombo. You've reserved the Parc55 for 5/22 at $94, and now you're looking for 5/16-5/19. (I reread the thread too quickly and thought you'd reserved the Parc55 for 5/16-5/19.)

Are you wanting suggestions for 5/16-5/19? If so what are you looking for and what's your budget for those dates?

To sum this thread up and provide new information to the database:

I just booked through Hotwire (after clicking this site's link of course) the Hotel California in Union Square West. The amenities listed were:

Boutique

Fitness

Restaurant

Biz Center

High Speed internet

Booked for $82/night 5/16-19/09

Based on the list of hotels, these amenities didn't match any hotel directly, but I thought it may be one of the three boutiques listed, turns out it was neither, but the Hotel California looks like a nice place.

Anyone have an opinion on the hotel?

Allright I think I understand now, thombo. You've reserved the Parc55 for 5/22 at $94, and now you're looking for 5/16-5/19. (I reread the thread too quickly and thought you'd reserved the Parc55 for 5/16-5/19.)

Are you wanting suggestions for 5/16-5/19? If so what are you looking for and what's your budget for those dates?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]