$1 bids always accepted. Am I doing something wrong?

FFWD
By FFWD,
in

I just discovered Priceline and was playing around with some scenarios to see how the bidding works. I found that whenever I offer a bid of $1, my offer is always accepted and the only thing that changes is the fees and taxes depending on the route I choose. For example, Buffalo to Singapore was $123.45 for the total trip cost. Buffalo to San Francosco was around $38.75. These are crazy cheap prices, is there a catch? I don't understand why anyone would want to bid more than $1? Thanks.

Are you actually getting the bids accepted at this rate or are you just seeing the page that lists total summary charges?

Priceline shows you the total that you are agreeing to pay if your bid is accepted. That is not the same as having your $1 bid accepted. You have to enter all of your credit card info and hit submit before you find out if your bid was accepted. If it was, your credit card is charged and you have bought yourself a trip.

Seeing the summary charges for your $1 bid is not the same as actually buying the trip for $1. You're right - that would be a great deal!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I agree, you're probably looking at the confirmation screen you review before submitting your bid... is there a "buy by ticket now" button at the bottom of the page? Have you ever clicked a "Buy My Ticket Now" button?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a "Buy my tickets now" button at the bottom of the screen. I took that literally to mean I can purchase these tickets at the indicated price, especially since the previous screen to this stated the system was contacting the airlines to negotiate a price. Seems very unintuitive. They should at least put the word "Confirmation" somewhere on the screen, and rename the button to read "Submit bid". I will try again with the PRICELINE link you provided. Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]