New Bidding hint from PL

JanetNC
By JanetNC,
in

Rented cars in Florida Dec & Jan, both times Priceline offered good rates attached to hotel itinerary, in the $16-$18 range.

For Tampa,their offer was $51 mid-size. Hotwire is currently showing $34.95 but I have booked through an American Airlines code a Budget mid-size for about the same. For the past few days have been bidding in the $15-$20 range and getting a message haven't seen before:

"$18 would be a great price, but it is so far below currently available rates that none of our partners are likely to accept it" Re-bid "$26 for a good chance or $27 for a great chance". I don't bid on cars that often-what is your strategy with this message? When I get counteroffers on hotels, usually re-bid only about a third of the difference. Know it's spring break, baseball training, etc, but still can't believe I need to go over $20. Might $22 work? or does it have to be $26? Any advice appreciated. Janet

I have made repeated requests at different prices when I received the message and it is always the same response, so it doesn't matter what bid you have put in, so going a certain fraction of the way to the suggested prices will not work. My guess is that the bottom threshold is is either a certain dollar amount or a certain percentage below what they suggest. I have found that the message won't come up if you bid about $5 under the lower price, so i am guessing that this might be as low as you could go.

Thank you, FarNorthTrader. Just the info I needed. I too had noticed that no matter if the bid was $15, 17 or 18, PRICELINE stuck with that $26 counter, nor has it changed as the rental date became closer.

I have been getting the same message on my HNL bids the last 2 days with the same dolllar amounts they suggested to you.

Thanks to FarNorthTrader for his info too.

I have been getting the same message on my HNL bids the last 2 days with the same dolllar amounts they suggested to you.

Thanks to FarNorthTrader for his info too.

I went to up to $22 yesterday, still not accepted and with same "you have to bid $26" message. I can just hear the computer saying "not her again" when I enter my PL account. :) In exasperation, yesterday PL also gave me a "one-time offer" to re-bid without changing any parameters. However, $22 was not the number they wanted in response to their kindness. Interesting that $26 offers a "good chance" in two sunny markets, both with tons of rental cars.

syzmon,

Thanks for the National tip, but the free weekend coupon must be returned by Monday (this a Sat to Weds) and even National's "last minute special" was $43/day for a mid-size in Tampa! That's almost as "special" as Priceline's original $51 offer. Where did you see $26?

Today PL refused $25 and Hotwire increased to $36.95 from $34.95, so this is not going my way. I'm OK with my back-up, but it is such an increase from my two recent visits, makes me wonder about this "rumor" of a recession. :)

Thanks to everyone for your advice, Janet

This has been a learning experience...price has continued to go up we as get closer to pick-up date. PRICELINE never took less than $26, and now the message is "good chance=$30"! HOTWIRE is now $39.95 for mid-size. Also today PL sent me a "Still looking for Car in Tampa?" email. Mid-size is $28 on that email (list looks similar to the list which may be attached to a hotel itinerary). Way better than their first $51 price, but higher than my first "$26 good chance message." One possibility in Florida Spring break season is that should a rental company need cars in Orlando/FLL etc, it is easy to move cars around to other cities. So even if there isn't anything other than usual Tampa baseball/spring break demand, inventory could still be tight, and getting tighter. I keep checking all "last-minute specials" but no joy. Will try once more Friday, but unlikely with fees to be worth upping my bid to $30.

syzmon,

Thanks for the National tip, but the free weekend coupon must be returned by Monday (this a Sat to Weds) and even National's "last minute special" was $43/day for a mid-size in Tampa! That's almost as "special" as Priceline's original $51 offer. Where did you see $26?

Go to VacationOutlet.com, click on Car Rentals, and National. Then click on the Free Weekend Day which will bring you to the reservation page.

Enter your dates 2/28 - 3/4. If you choose the midsize, the total price will be $149.24.

The coupon is still accepted as you have a Saturday night stay and are within the 5 day maximum restriction of the coupon.

$26 was your bid on PRICELINE, what I meant was that with taxes/fees your total would be $143 or within $6 of National's rate.

Szymon

MANY, many thanks for that tip. I'm reserved with National and done! VacationOutlet was the key. The free day coupon looked the same as the one on the National home page, but it was a different ID number and did not require the Monday return the company website did. Big difference between two seemingly same coupons. Great advice and your time is much appreciated, Szymon. Thanks to all at BetterBidding. You are my new favorite travel message board. :)

Okay, turns out the good chance great chance prices mean absolutely nothing. I have been putting in bids of $20 just to see what the good chance great chance prices would come up as and then actually completing the bid every couple of days or so. The bid has been rejected for weeks now, but tonight it went through. So apparently when you have a good chance at $38, a bid of $20 will be accepted, Go figure!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]