Priceline Hotel: 3.5* NYC (CPS) Dream Hotel

scouter
By scouter,
in

Hi Everyone,

I have used this board many times in the past to get wonderful discounts. Thank you to all.

I usually only post my wins to help others with planning/bidding, but this time I need more help.

For the past 9 days I have tried bidding with no positive results, even though there are others who have had bids lower than mine accepted for the same dates/area.

Please review my strategy and let me know - in your opinion - if there is something I should change.

This is what I have been bidding:

1st Bid: 105 MTE

2nd Bid: 111 Add Empire

3rd Bid: 115 Add CPS

4th Bid: 118 Add Chelsea

Final Bid: 123 Added MSG

There are wins on the calendar for $112 and $118 for the Intercontinental, which is what I am hoping for.

I have stayed there in the past and it was a great location.

My max bid is $125. Is this too little for this time of year?

Should I settle at this point and try for a 3.5?

I have done my research on the 3.5's in CPS and I would not mind staying there,

But I would prefer the 4s as mentioned above.

I am perplexed, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It does look like there is currently no low priced inventory for this full stay... is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? I also think that at the 4* level there is little difference in the midtown zones that i would also consider expanding your zone preferences (if you're open to staying in an area other than MTE or ESB... you know your plans better than i do)

Given the current state of the economy and hotel market i'd be reluctant to 'throw in the towel' this far ahead of your stay.

I'd book a cancellable back-up (try our new companion site BackUpBooking.com) and continue to try PRICELINE in the days and weeks ahead in hope that more lower price inventory becomes available.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us udated and let us know if you have any questions regarding the above or if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Have had some partial success:

Won: The Dream New York Hotel

210 West 55Th Street

New York, NY 10019

212-247-2000

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $109.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $218.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $49.27 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $267.27 (USD)

I am/have been trying every day: I have been bidding on both 4* (MTE, ESB, CPS, MTW) up to $120 and 3.5* (CPS & ESB) up to $110 without success until I decided to start splitting my bid today.

They offered to let me extend the checkout date, so I did try, but they came back and offered me $156/night for the other two nights, so of course I declined!

Please advise how or if I should change the title of this post.

Now I am hoping for another good deal for the other 2 nights of my stay.

If anyone has any restaurant suggestions for the immediate area that would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Congratualtions on your (partial) success!

Can you add a reply to this thread confirming that this property is 3.5* rated, is in the CPS zone, and also clarify the dates of your stay (it wasn't clear from your post if you won the first two nites or the last two nites)... i've added to your topic title what i believe the correct info is, but please confirm (especially the dates)

As far as restaurants in the area, what type of food are you looking for and what is your dinner budget?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy this leg of your stay... if you'd like help with the balance of your stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Confirming Dates of stay: Tues 5/5-Thurs 5/7/09.

3.5* Rating, CPS Zone.

And, I did use the PRICELINE Link from the board:Thank you all.

As far as restaurant recommendations: Anything, really. Low budget, good eats that I can't get in FL! NY Local Faves, Bagels, Street food, etc.

I will start a new thread when I win for the other 2 dates, and again will use the links to support.

Well you're not exactly in "cheap eats" territory so you'll like need to travel a little to get some dining deals.

A few suggestions not too far away:

You definately can't get this at home... Chicken and Rice Cart: (53rd and 6th Ave, SW corner) OK, i don't eat street dogs and i wouldn't ordinarily eat food from a street cart ("street meat" as it's often refered to in the city), but this place is widely known and attracts quite a crowd. Amazingly they're open from 7:30-4:00, but note, it's 7:30pm-4:00am :) The meal here is any one of their platters (chicken, lamb, or combo... with rice, salad, and pita bread... as is it's "OK", but this dish shines by the white sauce served on the side. If you like your food spicey, try the hot sauce sparingly as it's some of the hottest sauce i've ever tasted (i'm undecided if i like it on my platter or not). For $6 it's an amzing deal, and perfect for those stay at the Hilton New York as it's directly across the street from the south corner of the hotel. You can see a video of the food cart 'in action' here:

Pizza - tons of places, but not in this immediate area, can easily be an affordable dinner. John's Pizza (44th St b/w 7th Ave and 8th Ave) is a pizza restaurant in a converted church and has open pizza kitchen stations, so can make for a nice atmosphere for "just" a pizza place. Other notables Lombardi's in Soho, Arturo's on Houston in the Village, Grimaldi's Under the Brooklyn Bridge (in Brooklyn... first stop (High St) on the A or C train once you cross into Brooklyn.. then head down the hill and you'll see the line :) )

Arriba Arriba - (mexican) food is decent and very affordable by NYC standards... drinks are a little pricey, but after one or two margaritas you don't really care about the food anymore (or the tight quarters or 'hit or miss' service). Don't bother ordering the small margarita as it's the size of a thimble.

Zabar's (~81st?? and Broadyway) is a NYC institution for appetizing (take-out)

Katz's Deli - Lower East side for some of the best pastrimi, corned beef, etc, deli sandwiches. Be prepared that sandwiches will run ~$12-$15/each, but they HUGE and will likely fill you for not only lunch but dinner as well (or two people can split one) For a 'true' NY experience dont' take the waitress service tables, order at the counter yourself, throw a buck or two in the tip jar, then take your sandwich to one of the tables designated for self-service

Jackson Hole Wyoming - monster burgers which are always fresh and juicy... one of my favorite burgers of all time and inexpensive (burger ~$7-$8, platter fro another $3 or more)... Third Ave at 35th St location only

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]