Hotwire Hotel: please identify 3.5 star hotel, USW, 3/6 to 3/8/09

a1234
By a1234,
in

Hotwire gives me $109 a night for two nights, 3/6/09 and 3/7/09, 3.5 stars, Union Square West, with the following amenities: boutique hotel, no smoking, fitness center, pool, restaurant, high speed internet access, and business center. Can you help me determine what hotel this is? Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding, a1234.

That looks like the Handlery Union Square Hotel. The Handlery is in Hotwire Vacation Packages with those icons and the TripAdvisor stats (4/5, 380+ reviews) also match the Handlery.

If you purchase please use this HOTWIRE link and let us know what you get.

It's possible you can win a 4* in Union Square on PRICELINE for less than $109. And some of the Union Square 4* are offering excellent promotions for March dates now, for around $100. I haven't checked your exact dates but will look if you're interested.

...we're looking for double beds.

Do you mean that you need two beds in the room?

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy. You can call the hotel after you receive a winning bid and request a room with two beds, but the hotel may not be able, or willing, to accomodate your request. As well, if they are able to accomodate your request, it's possible they could charge an additional fee if this isn't their 'standard' room.

Do you need a room with two bed or is this more of a want?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Your stay is a Friday/Saturday night and I'm finding rates are fairly high, with most 4* over $250. Those $89-109 deals at Le Meridien, Westin Market, and Hilton Financial aren't available for your dates now and Hotwire's least expensive 4* is $159.

$109 for the Handlery begins to sound better. But that rate is for two adults/one bed. When I search on 3 adults (which guarantees 2 beds) the Handlery option disappears.

It's still not clear to me whether you need two beds or not. If one bed is enough I'd try bidding for a 4* near Union Square on Priceline, up to the Handlery price. We can suggest a specific strategy if you want.

If you need two beds Travelzoo has the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway for your dates at $69, with a two-bed guarantee and upgrade to a superior view room for an additional $15. 2 beds with a view for $84 is a good value on an expensive weekend. This is a Holiday Inn, not a 4* hotel, but the views from high floors are fantastic. The HI is about a half mile from Union Square and the California Street cable car stops at the side of the hotel. I can't find a BetterBidding link to Travelzoo but maybe thereuare has one.

I can look for other two-bed deals closer to Union Square (probably a 3* hotel for these dates) but first I'd like to hear whether you really need two beds or not.

There is a large medical convention in town that weekend which is why there is limited availability for that weekend.

Don't I know it. I had a heck of a time getting my bid accepted for 3/7 - 3/11 and ended up splitting up my bid and booking the 7th separately. But I think some of the properties are beginning to realize they're going to have empty rooms, as the Hotwire prices had started coming down the last few days for the 7th. I got the 3* Harbor Court at the Embarcadero for $69 on the 7th on Priceline. Hotwire had what appeared to be the Harbor Court for $79. Various websites had the same hotel with two double beds for $87.20 for the same night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]