Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (CPS) Le Parker Meridien

tazzy
By tazzy,
in

it is too early for me to bid for a room and get a good rate for NYC for Sept. 5-6, 2009? I need two rooms and I see that there are some bids already accepted for those dates, with the Westin Times Square, a 4*, at $169, and Morgan's, a 4*, at $164.

if I could, I would like to get a 4* or even a 3.5*, but I'd like to stay at $120 to $130. is that possible in NYC?

when is the best time to bid to get the best rate? I have booked my cruise leaving out of NYC already, and my airfare, so I am definitely going on this vacation even though it's seven months away. being able to cancel isn't my concern, just getting a really good price on a great hotel room.

I'm not even sure where to start with this bidding. I am comfortable staying anywhere in Manhattan. I don't know the area well enough to have preferences.

thanks!

any suggestions on the best part of Manhattan to stay to have easy access to the usual tourist haunts and then not too crazy far from the port of new york where we'll be leaving on labor day on a cruise? I will be in town the nights of Sept. 5 and Sept. 6. with friends, so we'll need two rooms.

my one-year-old son will be traveling with us, so if any of these areas are easier to navigate with a stroller than others (close to bagels for b-fast, coffee, drug stores, etc, that is helpful.)

I went to hotwire, and these were the hotels that came up. can you help me identify them?

4-star hotel in Central Park area - $169 - boutique hotel, fitness center, restaurant and high-speed internet access, no TripAdvisor rating given

4-star hotel in Midtown Central - $175 - fitness center, restaurant, business center, high-speed internet, spa services, TripAdvisor rating 3.5 from 540 guests (last reviewed Jan 09)

4-star hotel in Downtown/SoHo - $184 - fitness center, pool, restaurant, business center, high-speed internet access, TripAdvisor rating 4.0 from 520 guests (last reviewed Feb 09)

3-star hotel in Midtown/East - $134 - fitness center, restaurant, business center, high-speed internet, TripAdvisor rating 3.5 from 760 guests (last reviewed Feb 09)

3-1/2-star hotel in Midtown/East - $173 - fitness center, restaurant, business center, high-speed internet, TripAdvisor rating 3.5 on 5 stars, from 260 guests

4-start hotel in Times Square/Theater District - $169 - fitness center, restaurant, business center, high-speed internet access, spa services, TripAdvisor rating 4.0 from 940 guests (last reviewed Feb 09)

Thanks!

To answer your first question regarding when is the best time to bid, see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Also in that first post you mention wanting to get a 4* (or possibly a 3.5*) for $130 or less... but all the HOTWIRE properties above are over this budget. Are you willing to pay more than $130 at this point in time? Are you searching for two rooms on the above HOTWIRE searches as you may see different offerings depending upon whether you're searching for one room vs. two rooms. Have you tried to identify any of the properties on your own by using the Hotwire Hotel List?

Since you want to research the hotels beforehand, is PRICELINE bidding no longer an option?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks - yes, priceline is still an option. I haven't decided yet whether to book a hotel through hotwire and the given price they list, or to chance bidding via priceline. seeing which hotels are on the hotwire list are part of what will help me make that decision.

and the pricing I listed was what I'd hoped to get if I did bid via priceline. I realize that using hotwire usually costs about $20 to $30 more per room, or higher, than if I won a bid on priceline. at least, in general. And I'm willing to pay more if the hotel warrants the higher price. For instance, I'd be more inclined to pay $169 for a room that normally goes for $450 a night than I would be to pay $134 for a room that normally goes for $250.

I did look at the hotwire list of hotels, but I couldn't figure out which was which. There are three I think I'm most interested in. That is a good idea to request two rooms when checking hotwire prices. I didn't do that.

the 3-star in MTE which is closest to my desired price sounds like it might be the Roosevelt, but hotwire says the hotel in question has 760 reviews, and the Roosevelt has 1,014 on trip advisor.

And then the four-star in TSTD - is that the Westin? Sounds like it might be but, again, the tripadvisor count is higher than the one on hotwire, but at least it's close, both in the 900's.

The four-star in CP might be the Empire, but there is no trip advisor rating given on hotwire, and yet there is a 3.5 star rating on trip advisor.

Is Le Parker Meridien the four-star in Midtown Central?

Again, which area is best for someone wanting to see a lot of different things, from Wall Street to the Empire State Building? When I've traveled there before on business I really didn't have a lot of leeway or time to see anything, with taxis whisking us everywhere, so I didn't get a feel for the layout of the city.

There are three I think I'm most interested in. That is a good idea to request two rooms when checking hotwire prices. I didn't do that.

Do these three appear when searching for 2 rooms and the correct number of guests? Please re-list them below and we'll try to identify them.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm done! I went through the PRICELINE link on this site and booked two rooms for 9/5/09 and 9/6/09 at the Le Parker Meridien in Central Park South for $136 a night.

I'm not sure if the administrator will want to use this as my post for the hotel win, or if I should start a new thread. I'll post the details here and he can move them to the right place. Or if I should post elsewhere, please let me know.

Every bid was for a four-star hotel. I didn't add any other star categories to my bids.

My first bid was $120 for a four-star hotel in ESB. No win.

Then I added MTE to the bid, for $125. No win.

Next I added MSG to the bid, since that was a free add-on since there are no four-star hotels in MSG, for $127. No win.

Then I added LIC to the bid, since again that was a free add-on since there are no four-star hotels in LIC, for $130. No win.

So I added MTW to the bid, and upped it to $133. No win.

I added TSTD to the bid, and upped it to $135. No win.

Then I added Central Park South to the bid and increased it to $136. Winner!

I feel like this is a very good deal. The only thing I wonder is if I would have won at a lower price if I'd added CPS to the bid earlier. But I doubt I would have saved more than a few bucks, if that, so I'm quite happy with the result.

Congratulations on your success!

I think your assessment is correct... you could have likely won this a little cheaper by bidding a bit more systemactically but it likely wouldn't have been too much less. And with hotel direct rates starting at nearly $400/nite, no sense in worry about a $10 dollars or so when you can focus on the $250+ per nite savings! :)

To help with your future bidding, what you would have wanted to do is start with all the zones you were willing to accept and then add your re-bid zones. If for some reason the CPS zone was your least favorite, you then could have done all your previous bidding, then closed your browser, re-accessed PRICELINE with our link, and then started your bidding over again (at the original starting bids) for the CPS zone.

All in all, an excellent deal, and all is well that ends well!

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICLINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]