Splitting bid on rental cars?

VegasChick
By VegasChick,
in

Hello again...

I'm taking a rather long Vegas trip Mar 2- Mar 11. I'll need a car the entire time. I'm driving from Vegas to Utah on Mar 6. Last year I traveled to Vegas around the same dates and paid $12 for a full size vehicle through Priceline. This year I am not having much luck at all, and find it very confusing since Vegas is suffering with the economy and is practically giving rooms away. I've tried each day, with each day raising my bids depending on type of vehicle. I've bid up to $16 for mid, standard and full size, and up to 14 for compact. I'm starting to think the length of rental may be causing a problem.

On Hotwire prices for 3/2-3/6 are starting at 38.95/day while prices for 3/6-3/11 are starting at 18.95/day. Quite the difference. I am familiar with splitting bids for hotel rooms with the thought that it will save money. I know I'd have to return the car and go through the process again, but if I can save money I'd do this. Any thoughts?

From 3/3-3/6 there are three moderage size conventions, which in themselves wouldn't be anything noteworthy, but when happening simultatneously, they account for about 75K attendees, and i assume this is taking up a lot of the car inventory (and thus the higher rates for these early dates)

You could split the rental if you're willing to return to the airport, but keep in mind it may not be that easy to return the car at one agency and then get to the other agency (ie- you may need to go from company1-->airport-->company2 ). Do you need a rental car for the entire length of your stay... pehaps planning your schdule for things in/on the strip the first few days, then picking up a rental car later in your trip for things you'd like to do off-strip?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It looks like rates are going down, so this is a relief. Priceline's suggestion price when they feel you are bidding too low has gone way down when using the full trip dates 3/2-3/11 and continues to suggest bidding in the 30's when entering 3/2-3/6. I always initially put in a low offer to see what their suggestion is, then put in a real bid. Priceline is now suggesting I have a "great chance" if bidding $15 on mid to full size cars. I bid $14 for all and was rejected. The reason I didn't exceed this was because last night Hotwire had "hot rates" of $15.95 for up to full size. I just went back to check again, and now their economy and compacts are showing hot rates of 13.95. In a matter of a few days the rates have plummeted.

I have to say this is an interesting way of learning how to maximize savings on rental cars through priceline/hotwire. I am going to continue to monitor rates, but I may just have to pull the trigger on one of the Hotwire hot rates.

I ended up going with a direct reservation through Dollar's web site. Hotwire's prices have been fluctuating at different times of the day. Their full cost for a full size vehicle was 245 (give or take $5-10). After checking with Dollar, their full cost was 224 using a City Sale. Not only am I saving money by booking directly, but now I can also earn a credit with Southwest's rewards program. I'll keep checking prices on Hotwire and company websites until I go, as they could potentially drop even more closer to the date. The great part about booking directly right now is I can cancel whenever I want.

Another thing I would like to add for those looking for a car in Vegas is that Fox Rent a Car seems to be the cheapest place to rent from. For the same dates their cars are $20-30 cheaper. The only catch is they are not in the large rental facility that everyone else is in. They instruct you to take the shuttle to the rental center and wait by the taxi area for their shuttle. I didn't want to deal with all of that, but if you're willing to it could be a great bargain.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]