air ticket strategy

uop1497
By uop1497,
in

Hi,

I would like advice on obtaining the cheapest fare on a plane ticket from SFO to Sydney , (australia) leaving 6/12/09 and return 6/26/09 or 6/6/09 (departure) and return 6/26/09. The lowest fare I can find at this point is $792.14 r/t (airfare $476 + $316.14 taxes) on United air com. I would like to get a 40% discount if possible by going the PRICELINE bidding route.

All suggestion is highly appreciated

uop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are you looking for a 40% discount to an all-in price (~$475 all-in) or from the base price ($285 discounted base + $316 taxes = $600 all-in)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks for your response. I tried to bid tickets for Sydney trip or Cancun trip since Febuary, but not successful. I missed my chance to buy 4 tickets when it went on sale in early February. Therefore, I though I may get a good deal with Priceline bidding

I am now changing my destination to Hawaii this summer. (Save my Cancun trip for next year). At first, tried price line bidding several times for SFO- HNL and SJC-HNL but not successful like others who posted their wining here. Still learning how to bid air ticket using PRICELINE link here. Keep getting message (unsuccessful bidding) and offered me the ticket price it found for me.

Can you please clarify one thing so that I understand better. When bidding for air ticket (international and dosmestic), should I bid 40% less the base price only or should I bid 40% less the total all in price ( base price plus tax)

Not sure why you're setting your sights on 40% off and not the total amount you would like to pay, but generally my thoughts on the subject is that you should only expect a discount on the base fares since taxes and airport fees are usually fixed and not subject to discount along with the ticket price.

For example, let's assume an unrealistic scenario where a plane tix is $100... made up of $10 base fare and $90 in airport fees and taxes. The $90 is 'fixed' and not subject to a discount, so you would need to base your accepted total cost on $90 plus however much you think you could get a discount on the base fare.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Keep getting message (unsuccessful bidding) and offered me the ticket price it found for me.

Priceline is telling you the price you've bid was not accepted by any airline. The price they're offering you is called a "counteroffer". How much difference in price (approximately) is their counteroffer from the price you've been bidding?

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]