Priceline Hotel: Pre-cruise hotel

sandys
By sandys,
in

We're first time cruisers on the April 13th cruise on the Paradise out of Miami. I just found the message board a few days ago and I'm reading as fast as I can.

I tried Priceline for the first time last night, bidding on Ft. Lauderdale hotels. It was good practice. Based on what I had read on the messageboard, I bid $52 for the Ft. Lauderdale Downtown zone; it was rejected and I got the message to make a change to re-submit. I added Ft. Lauderdale Beach, and bid $65, that too was rejected.

In a response to an earlier posting, I learned that Miami was closer to the port, so I'd like to try Priceline for one of the 3* hotels there. Any suggestions for bid and zones?

The downtown zone is closest to the Miami port.

Bid 3* downtown Miami at $27.

If rejected, add a rebid zone and bid $35.

If rejected again, add your last rebid zone and bid $40.

If you don't understand rebid zones you can read them here: Re-Bid Zones Explained If you still have questions or are unsure, feel free to ask any questions (or list the 2 zones you think are re-bid zones and i or somebody else will confirm).

Based upon prevailing rates and proximity of your stay, i think you'll be successful on your first bid. You can try the $27 bid and then, if rejected, do the reading up on re-bid zones, as i would hope you'll be successful at that level.

Let us know how it goes.

PS- you can bid Miami right away, as it's viewed as a new bid and has nothing to do with your Ft. Lauderdale bid last nite

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

:) :o I've just exhausted my bids for Miami; final bid $57. A message said they were checking, and would have answer within 15 minutes. Finally said no hotel would accept $57. I started with 4*, $48; added 3*; re-submitted adding all hotels with less than 4* or 3* ratings, increasing to $57.

It's getting close. I'd hate to pay full price. Do you think the holidays are affecting the prices? Are the 2.5* in the downtown Miami zone fairly decent? Are there better 2.5* in other zones?

Is Hotwire similar? Is the process the same (re-submitting?)

:)

I'd hate to pay full price.

Nobody here likes to pay full price!

I just re-checked the Hyatt and i had looked for 4/13, but when i re-read your post you're probably checking for the nite of 4/12 (the nite before your cruise), and the Hyatt is showing no avialbility for 4/12, so that explains things a little better.

Unless you have a reasonably priced back-up in mind, i would probably choose to go with Hotwire at this point. I did a search for your date and there is a 2.5* hotel for $50 (which has a pool and a restaurant). There is also a 4* hotel at $122/nite (no great bargain there) and a 2* hotel at $57 (which does include breakfast, but it could just be coffee and donuts on a table in the morning, and there is no pool).

If it were me, i'd probably take the 2.5* at $50 (the HOTWIRE link at the top of the screen does work, so you can just use that one). The other option would be to try 2* on Priceline, but as most people have typically received the Hyatt at 3*, i don't know what the 2* hotels in the area might be. Keep in mind that if you choose to try for 2*, you have one shot at it, because there are no re-bid zones available at that level.

Any add'l questions in light of the above, feel free to ask.

Let us know whatever you decide to do and how it worked out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I read about "more than one account" on Priceline. Can my husband bid with another credit card number? It would be same address, same computer, so I wasn't sure if that would work.

This weekend is still spring break for some areas, Passover, and Easter. I'd imagine that may be having an impact on prices. Also, I would consider about $70 a great deal at this point. Do you think that would that get a 3* on Hotwire?

I got enough practice on Priceline, I haven't tried Hotwire yet. Are you familiar with BH.com? Will it walk me through?

I really appreciate your help. I have a lot to learn, and it won't be before Saturday, but this exercise has been a great experience. :)

I'm loosely familiar with them and i believe it's a pay service, so if you want to pay for advice or have someone do it for you, you're welcomed to go ahead and do so.

You husband bidding won't work because Priceline puts a cookie on your computer which is what prevents you from bidding again before 72 hours.

With Hotwire, they didn't show any 3* hotels (which means they don't have availability), as it's not a bidding service, it's deep-discounts for not knowing the name of the hotel beforehand.

I don't think downtown Miami is that much of a spring break destination, i think it's more of a 'late in the game' situation.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]