Priceline Hotel: 2* Newark (Jersey City) Candlewood Suites

faraway
By faraway,
in

Hi

I've come across this message board and I think it's the best!

We (me and my wife) are going to visit NYC in mid september (15th for 5 nights). Looking at the hotel rates in Manhattan just freaked me out. So now I'm thinking of staying in New Jersey area. The question is what zones are the most sutable for such stay? I mean the tradeoff between hotel rates/quality and easy transportation to Manhattan?

The following places look pretty close (according to hotwire.com):

1. North Bergen - Rockland

2. Fort Lee - Hackensack

3. Hoboken - Jersey City

4. Secaucus - Meadowlands

What would you recommend? Also what booking service is better to use PL or HW?

Thank you and sorry for my English.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

All the zones you mention above are geographically close to NYC, but the first two are not easy from a commuting point of view.

First choice should be the Jersey City area as this is by far the easiest ad best location for your purpose. I would try this area a few times before considering any others.

After that i would suggest the Secaucus - North Bergen area as well as the Meadowlands - Rutherford areas, with no preference for either (but stick with at least 3* ratings in these areas).

Most people here choose Priceline as it usually is a bit cheaper, but Hotwire gives you a little more control over the actual hotel you receive.... which is 'the best' depends upon your needs and preferences. A good place to start is: I'VE NEVER USED PRICELINE OR HOTWIRE.

I would recommend you post your travel date(s) and maximum bid amount and we'll advice from there (although keep in mind i'm leaving for vacation in 30 minutes, so a reply (from me at least) may not come immediately.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for such a prompt reply.

We are arriving on September 15th to EWR and staying for 5 nights (until 20th). I'm not sure about the max. bid amount as I do not know the usual rates in this area.

We are planning to visit the common NY locations like Empire States Building, Liberty Statue, some famous museums, etc.

What about the late night transportation? As I understand the public transportation services are not functional after midnight, right?

By far your best bet would be trying to stay at the Hyatt in Jersey City. Priceline bidders have been winning this fabulous hotel with killer views over the Hudson to the NYC skyline for quite some time now for only $37. More recently however, it appears that $55 may be the lowest bid. Either way it's a bargain. The PATH train is adjacent to the hotel and will get you to lower Manhattan in just minutes (it's only 1 stop) for only $1.50. Self parking at the hotel is $15 (overnight, indoor garage, 24 hrs. max, no in/out privileges). You must get your parking stub validated. The area around the hotel is clean and brand spanking new...office towers and condos, and there's a North Bergen Light Rail (trolley, $1.50) stop nearby that you can use to get to Hoboken or Liberty State Park for boats departing for Liberty Island (Statue of Liberty) or Ellis Island.

Do a search for Hyatt Jersey City or peruse the New Jersey board for more info.

Yep, I was hoping for the Hayatt, but the quick check for the room availability (Expedia.com) on my visiting dates is failed. There is one day in the middle which has no rooms available. Anyways, I started from Jersey City/3*/$37. After it was not accepted I added Secaucus and raised to $45 and got rejected again. The next was 2.5*/$50 - also unsuccessful and then 2*/$55 ended up with booking the Candlewood Suites Jersey City Exchange Place. The reviews on the tripadvisor.com seem to be good, so it may be a little expensive comparing to $37/Hayatt, but still good for a beginner :). Thank you for being helpful, keep it this way!

I have stayed at the Candlewood Suites a few times, parking is free, its a couple of blocks to the PATH station, the hotel has a shuttle bus that will take you if you don't want to walk...The Hyatt would be a better location, but the Candlewood offers a stove and refrigerator, there is a Shop Rite Supermarket within walking distance, you can go real cheap and have some meals back in the room, then splurge on a great restaurant in NYC. You could also take the water taxi that is near the Candlewood as well. If you have a car, check out a restaurant in Hoboken, NJ on Washington Street, Arthur's Tavern; the signature dish is a 24 oz. Ribeye Steak. At $17.95, this is a bargain, it comes with red skin potatoes. Order the wedge of lettuce with blue cheese crumbles and a few pints of Bass Ale....your meal will set you back, with tip, about $35.00. Parking is a difficult in Hoboken, but there is a garage one street over from Arthur's. Many other restaurants in Hoboken on Washington Street, it is a real scene in the evenings, lots of activity and some open air dining options too; I've always gone to Arthurs, though, as I always seem to compare the steaks from other restaurants to Arthurs.

Arthur's can be 'hit or miss', you may get a great steak for not a lot of money but on an off nite it can be a piece of grizzle. However, their burgers are always great and they have the best $5 burger in town.

Anyone coming to Hoboken should contact me for the best places to eat in town as well as the best Happy Hours (as there are plenty of them and vary greatly).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm in the planning stages right now, Theruare, coming from MICHIGAN GO BLUE. I would appreciate the info on Hoboken, eats, happy hours etc. as well as any info on getting into the city from that area. Any info on the village or lower east side for "local" joints would be great also.

Thanks in advance.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]