PHX Phoenix Compact Hertz

jaylee
By jaylee,
in

Just wanted to mention my experience with Hotwire in the past week that I am very unhappy about. My aunt and I have been looking for a car in Phoenix, AZ, for the upcoming horse show we are attending. Of course using the HOTWIRE link, she put in the dates she was looking for a car, and a compact came up for 19.95. She figured she would wait til the weekend, and she would check again. On Friday she got an email saying that the rates had changed to 15.95, so she thought, how awesome, and clicked the link. The link took her to Hotwire, where it suddenly showed $17.95 for a compact car. She thought, well it must have changed in the three hours since she got the email, but ok, that

This happens sometimes and my understanding is that HOTWIRE stores some of the availabilty on their own servers for a brief period of time (few hours?) and doesn't check 'live' availability for each and every search (assuming a similar search with the same parameters was recently done)... once you go to make the purchase it attempts to complete the transaction, and if the offer is no longer available, you'll get the error message you've encountered. Usually this system works quite well (and saves a lot of server resources, bandwith, etc) but sometimes an entry may get caught in the cache adn not properly clear in a timely manner, which is what i suspect is the issue in this instance.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Point taken.

Nonetheless, if you've seen it before, then THEY'VE seen it before, and it should be fixed or they are going to have a lot of people unhappy at them... and their reputation is at stake. As my aunt says, if you are happy with something, you tell one person, if you are unhappy, you tell the world. It's not earth shattering and won't prevent world peace lol.. but in my opinion its poor business. It's pretty disappointing and no one likes to feel like they are being deceived. Again, these are my opinions and my feelings, and I'm sure others have differing opinions.

I get promotional emails from Hotwire all the time announcing a "new lower rate" on some parameter I've recently searched but didn't buy. Hotels more than rental cars. Almost every time I've clicked though that "new lower rate" will jump to a higher rate. I just ignore Hotwire's "new lower rate" promotional emails, as they're often misleading and inaccurate.

Yeah, Colfax, I'm beginning to see what you mean. Doesn't that strike you as deceptive?

As a follow-up, my aunt did go to Priceline and bid 16.00 a night for a compact car and immediately got it accepted by Hertz (I can't bid because I'm not 25 yet). She'd tried last night, also at 16.00, and it wasn't accepted, so with today's win we both feel good about how it turned out. Thanks for letting me vent!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]