NY NYC Paramount Hotel

sweet_avalanche
By sweet_avalanche,
in

Sorry it took me a long time to reply.... I actually liked this hotel. The room was tiny, but I've come to expect that in NYC. :) But it had lots of little features that I liked - the bed was super low to the floor, the bedding was more european in style (duvet instead of nasty blanket and bedspread), and the pillows were awesome (feather!). And there was a hair dryer - what luxury! And the A/C worked, and the room was quiet. My only complaint is that the exercise/workout room is way too small - not enough equipment to go around. But I'd definitely stay there again. I believe that they are planning to renovate soon (at least the lobby, don't know about the rooms themselves).

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed there for one night this past Labor Day weekend. We needed an extra night and I happened to find a $122 rate on the Sol Melia website and we were curious to try the Paramount. Had bid up to $115 or so with no success, and I was willing to pay a few dollars more to see if I was treated more human.

We arrived around 10pm and our reservation was for 2 doubles. We were given 1 queen (we did not argue or care as long as it was not 1 double), but they did not have non-smoking rooms per se. We were on a smoking floor, but they said the room would be ok and they could send up an ionizer if it was not. The room was not smoky, as long as we kept the A/C going. Otherwise, the smoke seemed to waft it.

I think I read that the rooms are 150 sq feet. We estimated the room itself was 9x12, with a small closet and a small bathroom. Shower only (where the curtain did not reach the edge) and little space around the sink (which always bothers me.) Bed was nice in my opinion. 2 small nightstands, small table and 2 chairs (did not think the proportions matched for these), and a vertical storage unit for tv and minibar. We could have stored items in the minibar, but overall the storage unit was in our way.

It was fine for 1 night, but we could not see doing more, especially with the 2 of us. We would probably try to avoid this in the future, although we are off the Midtown West zone in general. We moved to the Park Central next and preferred that a lot.

BillJ

• 1 year later...

We stayed here May 19-21, 2006 as a result of a Priceline bid of $130/night. We were given a standard room that was listed at $300/night through several travel websites for the same type of room. We never thought we got the Priceline treatment, as the staff was very courteous checking us in, and accomodated us for a 1 pm checkin on a busy Friday. That was a pretty good price considering there were several large conventions going on in the area (both the Javits Center and the Marriott Marquis Hotel down the road had several functions going).

While the room was a little small for 2 people with large suitcases (a chair and table got in the way, and the TV was put in a hutch), we had no real complaints about the hotel. The hallways and doors look like they could use a new coat of paint, but we didn't mind too much. The description on Expedia was "Theater District Hotel with whimsy" and that is true. Chairs in the lobby had embroidered cushions with snarling dogs. There was a huge painted portrait mounted that almost acted as a 6 foot high head board. The bathroom was tiny, with only a shower stall and a toilet you would find in public washrooms. The sink was a little eclectic stainless steel bowl, and it took a while for the hot water to kick in. The climate control was a little hard to work. Despite all this, the room was clean, the bed was comfy, and the location couldn't be beat. I would not go out of my way to stay here, but if I can get the same room at the same kind of price level, I won't quibble.

Proud to be Canadian!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]