Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

growlers
By growlers,
in

Hi,

My wife and I are planning on going to NYC for 5 nights somewhere between april 23rd and may 5th. Haven't booked the flight yet since I am blowing 100K AA miles and going first class and can book any of the days.

We want to get a room that is nice - 4 star minimum, somewhere in the middle of the action i.e. walk outside and go to a bar or restaurant, and some tourist stuff, I realize transportation is no problem but we just like to stay in that type of area when we travel.

Don't have our hearts set on a particular hotel, and frankly don't care how much it costs since the flight is free, but I'm the type that likes to get the best "deal" for the hotel I get, although I don't care what the actual price point is.

Suggestion on whether to use hotwire or priceline? When I hotwired a few dates, it didn't show any 5 stars at all. Any particular strategy to get an elite hotel in the middle of the action? I did some research here, but am getting overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices and areas (and PL and HW use different ratings, areas, etc)

Thanks!

There is a 4* showing in the Midtown East area with the amenities: fitness, business, internet, restaurant, tennis for $129 for 4/25-30 (or 4/23-28), which would appear to be a match for either the Intercontinental Barclay or Grand Hyatt, two very nice and well-located properties. This would be the best 4*' deal that HOTWIRE is offering for your dates.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases.

Welcome to the site.

While you have mentioned that you don't have a set price point in mind, do you have an idea of what you would like to spend for a 4*?

There are no 5* properties on HOTWIRE or PRICELINE in NYC.

There are a couple 4.5* properties on HOTWIRE, but one could generally consider these properties 4*'s (such as the Royalton)

Well, some preliminary research showed the waldorf astoria is ~$270 a night on their website, not sure what that would be ranked on HW or PL, but we are prepared to pay that or higher. We have never been before, and therefore don't have particular bias towards any hotel, and so I was thinking as long as it is a really nice hotel in a "happening" area it might be a better value to use HW or PL. I guess if I had to put a max it would be $400 a night including all taxes, etc.

There is a 4* showing in the Midtown East area with the amenities: fitness, business, internet, restaurant, tennis for $129 for 4/25-30 (or 4/23-28), which would appear to be a match for either the Intercontinental Barclay or Grand Hyatt, two very nice and well-located properties. This would be the best 4*' deal that HOTWIRE is offering for your dates.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases.

On one of the stickied threads it describes midtown east as being kinda outta the way of the touristy stuff and quiet at night? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

On one of the stickied threads it describes midtown east as being kinda outta the way of the touristy stuff and quiet at night? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Hi, Growlers. I booked the InterContinental-Barclay for my family through Hotwire at $129 / night, a tremendous price. I've stayed here before, and I can confirm it has earned its 4* rating.

Yes, it is in MidTownEast (MBE) and a smidgeon out-of-the-way, but it is CLOSER to museums and shopping and culture and FURTHER from the noise and chaos of Times Square and midtown. It's also easier to catch a cab when you get away from the big crowds.

My suggestion: book the Barclay through Hotwire and put the $200 or so you'll save nightly toward your meals, tips, travel and events. Everything else in New York remains very expensive, so you will appreciate having a few extra $$ in your pocket. You can easily visit the Waldorf (it's very close to the Barclay) for drinks or a meal if you wish.

I dont' think this is correct...

Are you sure the post wasn't refering to a specific hotel in the MTE zone (The Beekman Tower, Millenium UN, or the Tudor Hotel at the UN)... these three hotels are in the MTE zone and can be considered 'a bit out of the way', but as of last reported all are rated lower than 4 stars. All of the 'known' 4* hotels in the MTE zone are (what i would consider to be) very convenient with easy access to subways and mass transit.

If/when you firm up your dates i'll look at the 4* hotel in question to see if it can be determined which, the Grand Hyatt or InterContinental, is more likely (assuming you're interested in either of these)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll book the flight and then post again. Which airport is the easiest as far as getting to MTE zone? Somebody told me to fly into Newark. I'll have to check but I think I can fly into any of the three.....

edit: more info: just the two of us, we travel light - carryons only - and don't mind walking a bit.

I wouldn't focus solely on the MTE zone (nor would i avoid it)... almost any midtown location works well for the typical visitor/tourist.

JFK is the furthest airport for the city, but i just took the Airtrain and it was convenient enough. LGA is the closest but has the most inconvenient mass transit options (but is cheapest via taxi), with EWR the next closest... each has their advantages/disadvantages.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Actually, it looks like I can do this quicker than I thought. They let you reserve the FF tics online for 5 days, so I got May 1 to May 6 (5 nights) on hold - I changed the trip to later so we can go to a yankees/red sox game! We are flying into JFK since that was the only one that had nonstop firstclass seats.

So any advice on the best hotel / good location / value for those dates with what I am looking for? I'll make sure to book with the link as always. Basically looking for as nice as possible in a good spot near alot of stuff.

For your dates HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the MTE zone (Restaurant, Fitness, Internet, Business, Tennis) which i believe is the InterContinental Barclay, for $129/nite. Hotel direct prices from the InterContinental website start at $300+.

Would this work for your plans? (or do you want to give PRICELINE a shot, which may be a little cheaper, but you won't have a guess as to the property you'll likely receive before your purchase)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts or how it goes or if we can be of further help.

OK I just booked for $129 with the amenity list above and did indeed get the Barclay.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Do you know if I sign up for an priority rewards card (intercontinental's program) will they let me get points for the stay? My last two HOTWIRE bookings the hotels (a marriot and a hilton) wouldn't let me. I won't bother joining if they won't let me. An obscure question, I know, but figured maybe someone might know.

Congratulations on your success

Glad you received the property you were hoping for and are happy with the results.

PRICELINE and HOTWIRE stays are not eligible for stay credit... sometimes you can get lucky and you'll get a stay credit. Some chains do grant points for incidentals spent at the hotel, others don't.

Bottomline is that you're not 'entitled' to credit, but sometimes you get lucky, and it also could help at check-in with a nicer room if the clerk sees that you're part of their affinity program, so there's no harm in joining and i would probably do so.

If you didn't, please remember to use our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]