2005 Entertainments Books Now Available

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

Thanks. I guess most of the books are sold through charities and "buying direct" cuts out the benefit they receive. Of course, this is an easier way to get the book.

My experience with the Entertainment books is that the benefits are not as good as they used to be. Of course, my experience is obviously subjective, as I've only used them in a handful of cities. My biggest "gripe" is that the "better" restaurants seem less willing to participate these days. This makes the books less valuable for travel (also, the hotel discounts have become somewhat of a joke over time, and are almost never better than what you'd find on priceline). Still, it probably pays for most folks to buy their hometown book, and maybe another city's if they're going to be there for more than a week. Using a couple of restaurant and attractions coupons will usually pay for the book.

Yep the book is no where as good as it used to be.I get my moneys worth at home but I don"t think it would pay for its self on vacation.Most of the restaurants are places that I would not eat at,all the good ones have bailed from the book.

There are always exceptions to any rule, and I've found a few good deals with my 2004 Entertainment books. The Hyatt in Deerfield, IL had a great $42.50 Entertainment rate that I was able to use a couple of times when PL wasn't being cooperative. The Chicago Hyatt has an Entertainment rate of $79.50 that people have been able to get at various times of the year. Oddly enough, both properties aren't mentioned in the book's hotel listings. I always call the hotel toll free reservations line and ask if an Entertainment rate is available. Anyone can do this before committing to purchase the book.

Another great use of the E book is to match up restaurants participating in the Dining Rewards (formerly I-dine) programme. I used this tactic to fulfil my NW FFF partner requirements. It's great when you get 50% off a meal with a bunch of FF miles thrown in.

This year I purchased my 3 books in July for $10 apiece and $5 shipping. My $35 investment is still paying me dividends, and I intend to make good use of my Hawaii book next month. They paid for themselves after my first couple of hotel nights. The restaurants offered may not be amongst your favourites every year, but amongst the hundreds offered, there will always be a few that are more than acceptable, and if not, use some of the coupons to give the kids Wendy's, Domino's or Dunkin' Donuts treats. I've used dry cleaning, car wash and Walgreen coupons without any problem and for decent savings. They're not at all like the bogus car rental coupons that offer $$ off only inflated rates. Anyone who doesn't get at least 2 or 3 times the cost of their book back within a couple of months, isn't really trying.

• 1 month later...

There's a new promotion if you're an existing 2004 Entertainment Book owner. You can get 2 free movie tickets if you refer someone to buy a 2005 Entertainment Book. Your "friend" also gets free shipping. I referred my wife, who bought the book in her name this year instead of me.

They then let you choose which theatre you want the tickets for (looks like all the majors to me), and they're your typical discount passes that aren't good for the first week of a release.

Entertainment also gives your "friend" the option of saving another 5 bucks by signing up for a subscription for future editions (which also come with free shipping). If you don't want it, you have to cancel before they ship next summer. Probably a hassle, but I did sign up (we do buy the book every year). I'll probably cancel and see what offers come down the pike next year.

BTW, for folks who are curious, Entertianment is now owned by Cendant, which also sells things like timeshares. I think that explains some of the "creative" attempts to sell these books, and perhaps the gradual decline in the worth of them.

• 1 month later...

I agree that in general, the books aren't worth as much as they used to be, but I always get my investment back just using the discount movie coupons. The Regal Theaters coupons were for $5.50 movie tickets last year, which is a good $4 off every I go to the movies.

The hotels discounts are hard to get in general, but the Wellesley Inn line does honor it, so I get at least $50 off per night when I stay there. I have used the car rental coupons to good advantage as well. I got my for $15 this year, and I'll definitely get my money's worth.

Thanks for the tip on the Chicago Hyatt! I'll have to try that! :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]