Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Coastal) Hyatt Islandia

chantomc
By chantomc,
in

New to PriceLine - I'm planning a family trip to San Diego 8/27-9/1. I noticed from recent posts that Hyatt La Jolla and Hyatt Islandia are coming up for 4* in Coastal zone. With kids, I'd prefer a hotel with a nice pool. The Hyatt La Jolla doesn't appear to have a pool. Any advice on how to get the Hyatt Islandia? BTW - I'm open to other zones in San Diego, 4* with nice pool.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Why not consider Hotwire since you must have a hotel with a pool. Using their amenity icons will ensure that there is a pool on the premises and by using our hotel lists you can often figure out the hotel beforehand... thus also knowing in advance just how nice the pool will be.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Hyatt La Jolla doesn't appear to have a pool.

The Hyatt La Jolla has a huge, really terrific pool. In fact all of the 4* Priceline hotels in that zone have pools, so no need to worry. I would start at $49, increasing $5 with each free rebid.

You'll very probably get one of the Hyatts, in which case they'll most likely bend over backwards to give you a room with two beds.

Thanks for the tip. As I read through the other tips, Hotwire may be the way to go. This is a great resource. The hotel reviews are helpful.  With a family of four (two small kids), what are the chances that I will get stuck with one bed?

Any time you use PL or hotwire you run the risk of one bed.I have never had a problem calling the hotel after my winning bid and getting the room I need, but one bed could happen.

I worked at both of these hotels

the Hyatt La Jolla is a far nicer hotel aesthetically, more austere and lot of marble. It has a fancier vibe, and is a nice place to walk into and feel important. It is a Michael Graves designed building, inside and out, down to the upolustery and silverware. My best description is pop neo-classical. It is more of a business hotel, but it has a nice pool. It is located in an area near the freeway with (very upscale) stripmalls and townhouses surrounding. It is drive to get anywhere, but the surrounidng beach areas are quieter, more residential and upscale.

The islandia is a vacation hotel right on the waters of mission bay. It has more of lanai/cabana vibe. the staff is older and more entrenched in the union, so service isn't as snappy but can be good. If I had kids I'd go here -- it is surround by waterfront parks, walkable to the beach and roller coaster (which is quite a scene in summer), very close to Seaworld and nearer to the zoo, balboa park, downtown, and the airport. And it is really not much farther from the interesting part of La Jolla than the Hyatt "La Jolla."

hank

Started at $49, $54, $59, $64, $69, and accepted at $74

Hyatt Regency Islandia

1441 Quivira Road

San Diego, California 92109

Check-In Date: Sat, Aug 28, 2004

Check-Out Date: Thu, Sep 2, 2004

Your Offer Price: $74.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 5

Subtotal: $370.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $53.05

Total Charges: $423.05

BTW - Thanks for all the tips in my previous post "Help: 4* in San Diego (Coastal?)." I'm happy with the Islandia given this is a family trip with two little ones. I've heard they tend to put PriceLiners in the older rooms. Expedia listed a guest room at $179. Hyatt.com shows $259. This is my first PriceLine hotel experience with the family. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I don't get screwed with a single bed. Any tips on making sure I get two beds (besides calling)? Should I call immediately or wait until the week of departure. I'm sure they know my reservation was a PriceLine reservation, right? Do they treat you any differently? One last thing, any tips on getting discounted tickets to the local attractions (zoo, animal park, legoland, seaworld)?

I would join Hyatt Gold Passport right away online and then tomorrow call GP customer service and have them add your GP # to the reservation so you can get credit for in house charges but the best part of this is that at 12:00 pm on check-in day you can call 1800-check-in and ask for a room with two beds before all the other PL people check-in. :)

The review by "golfmom" makes the upgrade to Regency Club worth the $40/night. What do you think Hankj?

"Just spent 3 nights here (7/12-15/2004) and the family consensus was "great place". On arrival no mention of Priceline, we were offered a king or two doubles with a garden view. Asked if we'd be able to get a rollaway (two large teenage sons with us) and was told they cannot put rollaways in most rooms now because of workman's comp claims from the housekeeping staff. The desk clerk then quickly offered to upgrade us to the Regency Club on the 17th (top) floor for an additional $40 a night + tax. We grabbed it because we were easily spending $40 every morning for breakfast feeding two teenage appetites.

It was SO worth the money."

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]