IL Chicago Hyatt Regency OHare

TrinaLC
By TrinaLC,
in

Well, I'm sorry to post a very disappointing review about this property. I got it for $60, which is obviously a great rate, AND I was upgraded to the business tower because I expressed a desire for high speed internet access (and i said I was willing to pay for it.)

The room is barely a 3 star. Nice size, and great view of planes coming in, but old, tired, and no style. Lobby packed with convention-goers.

Room service? Yikes. I always order the plainest things on the menu. This was like dog food. No joke.

And I was so predisposed to like this property after being put in the business tower by a great guy at reception - now I wonder how awful the "regular" rooms are.

Priceline has this as a 4 star property - totally inappropriate. (And I'm NOT a picky traveller -but compared to my stay last night at the 4 star Sheraton in Chicago, it is NIGHT and DAY - no comparison, luxury v. yuck).

• 10 months later...

I stayed here on a Friday night for a $46 bid. I don't have a problem with its 4* rating, although there are 3*s in the ORD zone that are at least as nice and can often be had for less. I'll give this place the benefit of the doubt and say it's no worse than any number of other 4* places... in fact nicer than the 4* Hyatt Regency in downtown Chicago, IMO.

The location is superb, however, if you're using the L. This is the Hyatt immediately adjacent to the Rosement L station, so it's an easy walk between hotel and L (or, for that matter, the Rosemont bus terminal, which is on the other side of the L tracks as the hotel).

Check-in was fast and friendly. I got a room in the south tower (or the southeast tower; it's the one tower you can't see from the L). I have no idea whether this is the "business" tower, but it wasn't a very big room. The furnishings were decent; not great but not IMO substandard either. Wherever your room is, you might find it easier to use the stairs than the elevator if you're on a low floor.

The hotel's pool has a peculiar round shape. It is deepest in the center and not terribly conducive to swimming laps. There is one exercise room and separate men's and women's "health clubs", each with a sauna and steam bath (but no hot tub). The hotel directory in my room implied a confiscatory $10 charge to use the exercise/spa facilities, but no signs were posted to this effect, no staff was around to collect it and no charge appeared on my bill. (I was curious to see whether I would be charged by swiping my key card, but that didn't happen).

There was a largish church group holding a meeting the night I was there, and the lobby area was somewhat noisy most of the night, but my room was quiet.

Shuttle runs every 30 minutes between midnight and 6am and every 20 minutes otherwise. I was the only one on the shuttle at 5am and made my 6am flight easily.

• 7 months later...

We found this property disappointing, primarily for reasons of noise.

I'm not an idiot, and I know that airport hotels will likely have some airplane noise. But there are degrees of noise. The Westin O'Hare, for example, had excellent soundproofing. The Hyatt O'Hare does not. We heard every takeoff, loud and clear, right overhead.

The room was recently renovated and nicely appointed. The bed was comfortable. But the shower, while nice looking, had tepid water, both in the early morning and at night.

We used the self-checkin kiosk both for checkin and checkout. At checkin, it offered us four room options, including "King nonsmoking with staircase." "With staircase" sounded intriguing. A duplex, perhaps? I went for it, figuring what the hell... Don't do it. It's a room on the second floor, in the round corner "tower," which requires dragging your suitcase up a flight of stairs.

We got the room for a bid of $50.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]