Hotwire Hotel: 1/16-1/19/09 Chicago trip need help with hotel

candycanewishes
By candycanewishes,
in

OK, I was referred here by another board I frequent. I am trying to find a hotel near the American Girl Store in Chicago. There are 2 listed available that are 4 star I believe in the Water Tower area. But, I am terrified to commit without knowing where or what they are. This is for Jan 16-19 and for 2 adults and 2 children. Can someone help? I tried reading revies on tripadvisor to figure it out but cant. THANKS

What are the amenities you are seeing with the listings?

It says 4 star, and the amenities are fitness center, restaurants, internet, and something else.

I would love to find a "fancy smancy" hotel to take the girls to. This is their birthday gift and they are 10 and 11. We will be visiting the AMerican Girl store so want to be close because we will rent a limo at airport to get there. Also need advice for that. THANKS

When I look up these dates with two adults/two kids, I see:

A 4* in the Water Tower/Gold Coast/NMA area with the amenities: fitness, business, internet, restaurant for $89.

This could be a match for the Millennium Knickerbocker or Westin Michigan Ave. I'm not crazy about that Westin and while the Knickerbocker isn't - in my opinion - as bad as some of the reviews would indicate, it's an older property (although it recently was renovated) and the rooms are on the small side.

Personally, for $10 more I'd rather recommend the 4.5* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area with the amenities: fitness, business, restaurant, internet, which I'm seeing for $99.

This could be either the Intercontinental or Conrad Hilton. Both of which are about 4 blocks South of the American Girl Store - both are also right on Michigan Ave.

The prices you see may differ slightly versus what I'm seeing.

I can also find a number of other options around $100, but they aren't as upscale as the potential Conrad/Intercontinental.

If you have any questions, please ask before booking.

Additionally, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's link to HOTWIRE.com (click the HOTWIRE) to start your purchase, as doing so supports the site.

If you desire fancy, the 4.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville listing on HOTWIRE is what I would recommend. If it's the Intercontinental, that would offer grand, old-world charm - it's also a pretty remarkable property in terms of history (the hotel's stunning pool is one of the first indoor pools on a high floor.) While not as "well-known" as the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC, the Intercontinental in Chicago is that kind of of epic, historic property.

If the HOTWIRE listing was the Conrad, you would get new-school sleek/upscale.

Either way, I think both are great hotels, just different. The Intercontinental has some amazing architectural features. You can *feel* the history in some of the areas, such as the Grand Ballroom and the pool.

The only hotels that have been reported that match the 4.5* Mag Mile Streeterville fitness, business, restaurant, internet would be the Conrad and Intercontinental. I'm very familiar with the area and don't know of another hotel in that zone that would fit - while there could be a different hotel than those two, I would be VERY surprised. While I strongly think this is either the Conrad or Intercontinental, the high-end 4.5* rating should also give some comfort - I definitely wouldn't be really nervous.

In terms of safety, the Mag Mile area is quite nice, although like any other big city, you have to be aware of who's around/what's going on.

Betterbidding HOTWIRE link: HOTWIRE.

I definitely understand on that - I have family members with asthma and I have bad allergies to smoke/dust. I have personally never had a problem with getting non-smoking via PRICELINE or HOTWIRE in downtown Chicago. These definitely aren't busy dates in Chicago, either; there shouldn't be any sort of shortage of no-smoking rooms.

I would call the hotel just to ensure non-smoking and if there is an issue, call HOTWIRE directly and speak with them (but I doubt you'll have to do the latter.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried hotwire. There are 2 adults and 2 children. I have found a 4* an N Michigan Ave-Water Tower-Gold Coast- amenities are fitness, restaurants, business center, high speed internet for around 80. Next is 4.5* with same amenities and it says Mag Mile, Streeterville. Any ideas on what hotels? We are going for American Girl store so which is closer? Water tower? What do you all recommend? TIA!!!

Please keep all requests for help for a specific trip in the same thread.. Thank you.

Did you have any thoughts about the hotels discussed in the previous thread? (which has now been joined with this one.) I also discussed in that thread regarding what's near American Girl.

I did but when i came back, it looked like someone got the omni for the 4 star. I was wandering about that. Any ideas? Sorry i made new topic, I had not been back in a while and thought I needed to. This is all very unsettling to me, I like to have control over where I stay but I also like a bargain. I know, i cant have my cake and eat it too. LOL

The Omni is not showing for these dates. What is the most you want to spend per night for hotel for these dates?

I would love to find something for 100 or under. When I look at ressies at different hotels without using hotwire, they are all 200. The Omni is 200 for those nights. We are 2 moms with 2 girls so I want something safe and also this is their birthday so would like something really nice.

There is also a 4.5* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area on HOTWIRE for $102, with the amenities fitness, business, restaurant, internet. That would likely be the Intercontinental hotel or Conrad hotel. Those would be more upscale hotels than the Avenue, but a few minutes further walk to American Girl (both are still not far from American Girl, though - it would be an easy walk North on Michigan Ave. from either hotel.)

Please use the site's link to HOTWIRE (click the HOTWIRE) if this idea is of interest.

There is also a 4.5* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area on HOTWIRE for $102, with the amenities fitness, business, restaurant, internet. That would likely be the Intercontinental hotel or Conrad hotel. Those would be more upscale hotels than the Avenue, but a few minutes further walk to American Girl (both are still not far from American Girl, though - it would be an easy walk North on Michigan Ave. from either hotel.)

Please use the site's link to HOTWIRE (click the HOTWIRE) if this idea is of interest.

I just booked the hotel through Expedia. Wow, I am excited. It sounds really nice! Thank you so much. The code worked and I got 3 nights for 310 total.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]