HNL Rental 1/23-2/3 In Progress

grant wiscour
By grant wiscour,
in

Working on a Rental Car in Honolulu from Jan 23 5pm- Feb 3 9pm.

Currently have a reservation with Alamo (w/coupon from Entertainment Book) for a Midsize $287 total for this time frame.

I keep you updated with the progress.

So far I have been bidding $11 for Lux/Prem/SUV/Minvan, $8 for Mid/Intermediate & $2-4 for Econ/Compact.

I'll post the individual bids now the time is closer and my bids will get more realistic; slowly increasing the bids to find the floor.

12/18/08 ALL REJECTED

SUV/Minivan/Luxury/Convertible/Premium $12/day $237.70

Full/Standard $8/day $178.74

Mid Size $8/day $152.82

Compact $4/day $108.98

Economy $2/day $90.29

I have a Mid Size Car reserved for @ $288. If I can get a better car/suv for a better price than I will take it.

If I can rent a compact for $2/day, I will take it. The inventory and availability may provide a "deal" for certain car types.

If you have had success with bidding on cars in HNL I am interested in your approach.

Last rental in HNL for me was $11/day for a Mid Size.

If you have had success with bidding on cars in HNL I am interested in your approach.

I've never rented a car in HNL, sorry.

Not specific to HNL, but for rentals longer than 7 days....yours is 12 days...sometimes the lowest price will be a combination of two reservations....a low weekly rate plus a separate 5-day Priceline reservation. Even if that's cheaper it's less convenient.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I checked the rates using two-rental periods and the costs were higher. The best two-rental period deal I found was using the entertainment.com coupon for $20 off through Alamo. Even using the coupon twice the total was $331. Priceline's best deal was $442. I didn't try to bid on it like this since it looks so far away from my current reservation of $287.

Priceline usually works me a deal in the 2-3 weeks prior to the trip. I think all bids prior to the final few weeks/days are kinda just body-blows in the early rounds to soften up pricelines algorithms. My strategy always seems to get me lower rates than the other folks that I see post.

I'll keep plodding along. Only 22 days left until Oahu.

1/1/09 ALL REJECTED

SUV/Luxury/Minivan/Premium $15/day $281.93

Full$10/day $199.97

Standard $10/day $208.21

Mid Size $10/day $200.61

Convertible/Compact/Economy $2/day $90.29

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]