Priceline Hotel: Safe neighborhoods in Miami

.ca
By .ca,
in

Hello All,

I am trying to book a hotel for some older friends that are visiting miami, we were thinking of booking a room in Miami downtown to be close to the Bahamas consulat (some euro friends need to get a visa for a cruise).

Is miami downtown safe? or is miami beach a better bet? There won't be any partying.

How long is the walk across the bridge to miami beach?

Thanks in advance.

How long is there stay (and what are the dates)... is it just one day pre-cruise or is this an extended stay while they get their documents in order?

Miami is a large city and just as with most large cities you should be aware of your surroundings. I stayed here a few years back and we were told not to walk to Bayside Marketplace at nite and better to take a taxi or the peoplemover. While some don't feel comfortable with the peoplemover and commented that it wasn't safe at nite, others stated it was fine, so we chose that route as we're from a large city and comfortable taking mass transit (once at least a few others felt it was 'fine') We didn't encounter any problems on the short 2-3 stop trip, but i did understand how some would feel uncomfortable and not recommend it (NOTE: this was a few years ago and i have no idea of the current safety level, but mention my experience as we asked the concierge and took her advice (who said the peoplemover was fine at the time))

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would suggest you try for the Intercontinental or Hyatt downtown. They can easily walk to the Bahamas Consulate from there (less than 6 blocks). The bridge to Miami Beach is about 7 miles long, so walking isn't likely, but there are lots of buses that pass by the Intercontinental and go to the beach. (Bayside is right next to the Intercontinental. I have walked around there at night, but not later than 9PM.) The next areas that are safe are Coconut Grove and Coral Gables, still accessible to the consulate but further south. There are lots of good PRICELINE prices on South Beach and they can take the bus over to Miami. Much more fun and lively than being downtown. Taxis are very expensive, a one-way ride to the consulate will be over $20.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]