CA Monterey Casa Munras Monterey-Pacific Grove

javatrip
By javatrip,
in

This is an update following our stay at the Casa Munras. We enjoyed our vacation there, particularly the excellent location just blocks from downtown Alvarado Street and within walking distance to many sites. The front desk staff were very friendly and responsive as well.

However, as I suspected after winning the bid and finding out that it was Casa Munras, this property doesn't merit the 3.5* rating that it now enjoys, particularly for Priceline guests. When I checked in, I asked if we had a fireplace and was told that our room didn't because we had booked it through Priceline, making it clear that this had determined our room assignment. A friend of mine who has also stayed there said that they have newly renovated rooms that are very nice.

Our room was pretty good size and the furniture and carpet were pretty new, but the bathroom was right out of the 1970s. The coffee maker still had used grounds from the previous guest, which I have never before encountered. Also, the layout is more like a motel than a hotel, with all of the room windows looking out onto the walkway and parking lot. They are very family-friendly and also offer an in-room DVD player with free movies available for check-out.

In other words, it was a pleasant experience, just not what I would expect with a 3.5* rating. Hotels and motels in Monterey are expensive, so it was a clearly a good deal for the price, but I think that it should be rated more honestly.

• 11 months later...

We really enjoyed our stay at Casa Munras. We requested a room with 2 beds and were easily accomodated. This property has been updated and is very very nice. Cookies, apples and infused water are all available at your arrival. The huge fireplace in the lobby is very nice. The pool is 82 degrees and while it was freezing outside, we swam for a long time. Too bad there is no hot tub.

This is actually a property I'd pay retail to stay at again. The fluffy beds were divine and the folks were so nice. We requested extra blankets and they came within 2 minutes (big tip for him!). I've never had service so fast. On Thanksgiving morning there were tons of newspapers waiting and ready for Black Friday shoppers!

If you win this, you are lucky! It is not at the beach, but so close.

Andie

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]