MD Baltimore Marriott Waterfront

giadav
By giadav,
in

We just got back from our 2 night stay in Baltimore to catch the Red Sox vs Orioles. Tickets in Boston have been sold out for the season. Well...this is an absolutely beautiful area on the Inner Harbor.

Upon check in at the Marriott Waterfront, it is right on the harbor with a brick boardwalk, everyone was very friendly, our room was ready (they had us in a room w/double beds and I changed to 1 king, she said space was limited but found a king). Our room was on the 6th floor, nice room. I ran over to the window to see our view and it was a roof top w/a giant I don't know what (maybe a/c unit), we couldn't see over or around it, I couldn't even tell you what direction the room faced our view was that block!! Maybe we should have stuck w/the room that had double beds :) because we have always had great luck w/hotwire and priceline rooms.

The lobby, rest, lounge and sitting area in the hotel were ice cold!! I don't know what the thermastat is set at, but I NEVER get cold and I was freezing. We had brunch Monday morning, I think Marriott has the best brunch for the money, $13.95. There is an outside Cafe on the boardwalk that is very nice for drinks and appetizers. You can catch the Seaport taxi ($6) and use it all day long to take it to Harbor Place, the Museums and Fells Point.

The Hotel has a parking garage for $20 per day and you can come and go as you please. I'm sure if you did a little driving around the area you may find something cheaper than that. (You really don't need to drive).

We stayed 7/25 - 7/27 for $80 per night thru a Priceline bid. It was GREAT!!

• 11 months later...

Stayed here for one night last week, Tuesday, July 12, 2005, $70 Priceline bid (really good deal in the summer seems to me). First time at this place. For me, this is a bit far from the office I need to visit in Baltimore. In the heat of last week, that was not much fun when I walked over there in the morning (and back in the afternoon to get my car). But for sightseeing this should be fine.

There's a garage here that's connected to the hotel. You can self-park for $20 as noted above, or you can valet I'm sure for a bit more. I was going to test the price of paying the garage directly vs the hotel price, but I decided to keep it simple on my hotel bill to ensure I could use my credit card. (Other garage I used was cash only and drained my cash. Good thing I did this too, because the next day I discovered my ATM card was dead!) I wish I had caught the posted prices. I think if you don't need to go in and out like the hotel parking allows you would get a cheaper 24-hour max rate from the garage directly. The other garage I park in near the office is only $12 max per 24 hours.

Checkin was efficient and friendly. I got a room on the 6th floor with 2 doubles. (Happened twice on this trip. I clearly indicated each time I was only one person, but each time they gave me a room with two beds. Seems so easy, but then I know there must be disappointed bidders sometimes who can't seem to get these places to specify a room with 2 beds.) My view might be considered slightly better than the previous one: straight out was the parking garage, but looking to the right I could see the water at least. :) Stuff in the room seemed newish to me. Judging by the outside of the building and some interior features I think it's because the hotel is still fairly new (few years old) vs any recent renovation. Even though I travel to Baltimore regularly, I simply can't remember when they put this building up. Either way, the room furnishings are good, and I really like Marriott's new bedding. Comfy beds and nicer bed coverings, plus they have a pledge to wash all that stuff frequently. (Bedspreads at most places are notoriously not cleaned often.)

Marriott still rips you off $9.95 for high speed internet access in your room, and it's still with a wire. If I read the info right, you can go down to the lobby and use wireless for free.

I didn't notice the ice coldness of the common areas, but that may be because any ice coldness there would be welcome given the swampy humidity outside. :)

I guess this rates as a 4*. It's hard to tell sometimes, and it's also been a while since I stayed in a 3*. I keep doing 2.5* and 4*. Certainly this place is on par with the Hyatt Regency 4* I've also stayed at in Baltimore and the Hyatt on Capitol Square I stayed at in Columbus, Ohio, in service level and amenities. Friendlier people at the Hyatts I think, but then they are less hurried during those winter and early spring months when I stayed there.

• 2 months later...

Stayed here for 2 nights 10/7 through 10/9 and just loved it. Got a doubles room on the 28th floor with a magnificent view of the city, particularly great at night. Nice roomy space and very comfortable beds. Excellent, friendly staff.

Location is terrific: a 5 minute walk to Inner Harbor and a 5minute walk to Little Italy, which is chock full of Italian restaurants. Also the hotel is one of the stops on the water taxi route. IN terms of food, Marriott has a little bakery in its lobby, so you can buy milk, juice, fruit, pastries, etc. and have a leisurely, cheap breakfast in your room.

Nice fitness room with treadmills that have their own personal TV with headphones. Very small, and cold, pool, but you can't have everything.

It costs $20 to self park and it's a very circular garage that is a hike from the hotel. But I've run into this setup before in other cities, so i guess it's an urban space issue.

All in all was very happy to get this hotel on my priceline bid of $82.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]