Priceline Hotel: newbie mom - where do I start?

peanutsmom
By peanutsmom,
in

Hi, I'm super new here and really not too sure where to start. I've read tons of info on this site so I know with Priceline you don't know which hotel you'll get when bidding. I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. I am visiting Rhode Island 1/13/09 - 1/20/09, was hoping to get a hotel in the Smithfield area, second choice is Warwick. I'm travelling with my 2 children ages 3 and 4, and would like a Residence Inn type of hotel - with fridge and microwave - cooktop would be nice but not necessesary. I was hoping to pay around the $35 price. I've seen on forums that Extended Stay America gets a lot of winning bids for that price. But I'm fearful that I will end up in a dump. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Welcome to the site :)

You are correct in that you do not know what hotel you will get via Priceline. HOTWIRE does allow you to get a better idea (although not guaranteed) of which properties are showing. However, there is no "guarantee" regarding HOTWIRE guesses. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any suite properties on HW for these dates.

Unfortunately, I think $35 is going to be difficult for these dates. What would be the max budget per night? Would you be willing to switch hotels?

On HOTWIRE I do see a 2.5* with the amenities: Complimentary Breakfast, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry for $49 in the Newport - Middletown - Jamestown area. That may be a match for the Holiday Inn Express in the area. While it doesn't have a kitchenette, it will at least provide free breakfast.

If this is of interest, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's link to HOTWIRE (click the HOTWIRE) to start your purchase, as it helps support the site.

Yes, I would be willing to switch hotels. I'd rather not stay in the Newport area as it is about an hour drive to Johnston (where my family lives) I know $35 is a real low budget but with having to also rent a car for 8 days (hoping to get a deal through the links here on that too) things are getting real expensive. I guess maybe the max would be $40? I lucked out and got a decent deal on airline tickets on a Southwest sale - I'm just hoping not to break the ol' piggy bank on a visit to grandma and grandpa for the kids. I hope it snows when we go - the kids have never seen snow. Thanks again for the help!

was hoping to get a hotel in the Smithfield area, second choice is Warwick.

Are these PRICELINE zones that you're seeing??

When i enter Warwick as a PRICELINE city see the following zone:

(Cranston - Warwick - Providence Airport)

-would you be able accept a hotel anywhere within the boundaries of this zone?

Likewise when i enter Smithfield, RI i am shown the Milford-Foxboro, MA region, and it appears that Smithfield is in the (Woonsocket-Attleboro) zone... again, can you accept a hotel anywhere in the boundaries of this zone? (if i guessed correctly that indeed that is where Smithfield is located)

As well, with PRICELINE you wont' be able to ensure a suite-type property not included breakfast. Do you have a back-up plan if you're not successful up to $40?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, you're correct, Smithfield does show up in the Woonsocket/Attleboro area So I guess I'd better not try to bid that zone since I don't want to end up in Woonsocket or Attleboro.

As far as the Cranston-Warwick - Providence Airport zone, yes, I would accept a hotel anywhere in those bounderies.

And my backup plan? Uh... show up at my cousin's house looking pitiful because with the car rental rates I'm seeing, I can't afford to go higher.

One other question - my trip is 2 months away, should I start bidding now or can I wait? You have no idea how much I appreciate your help, thanks.

As far as when to bid see the discussion in our PRICELINE FAQ, but given your budget i would recommend starting now and continuing to try as with a $40 budget i'm doubtful there is too much room to over bid by much.

One more thing... since it appears you'll be (at least) triple occupancy, PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel. It is possible that you receive a hotel room with only one bed... you can call the hotel after your purchase and request a room with two beds, but there are no guarantees that your request will be accomodated, and at some budget chains rooms wtih two beds are considered an upgraded, and you may have to pay additional for a room with two beds (if available)

If you'd like to proceed with PRICELINE let us know your minimum star rating we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately you don't have any re-bid zones available when bidding 2* in this area.

Given the amount of time before your stay, i would start at $25 and increase the bid $2-3 every 24 hours until you hit your limit.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Keep us updated as to your progress or if we can be of further help along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I started bidding for a rental car first. (Through your PRICELINE link) I started with a ridiculous amount of $8 for car classes standard and up to SUV - hey, you never know, right? To say the least I have so far been unsuccessful. I have rebid 3 times and my last bidding was $12 for the same car classes - all unsuccessful. I did however make a backup reservation at www.carrentals.com for the Thrifty wild card class for a total of $205.25 for 8 days - not too bad, by far the cheapest I have seen.

It also looks as if I no longer need to bid on a hotel as my cousin is going on a cruise for the week I will be there and offered her home for us to stay in. Works out great for both of us as now we can petsit for her too.

I really want to thank you for all your help. I will continue my bidding for a car. I will also be back later for advice on bidding for a Disney hotel. No big rush for that one since I live in Orlando. Thank you so much!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]