Priceline Hotel: Help in bidding for a 3* in Ft. Lauderdale

plwilliams
By plwilliams,
in

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and try Priceline to get 3 rooms for 3 nights, Oct 30th through Nov 1st in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale (hopefully Embassy Suites). I've done a lot of reading and have a basic understanding of the bidding and rebidding process, but I have no idea as to how much I should start out bidding. I've looked and looked and struck out in finding any posts refering to these dates. Any and all help will be appreciated.

OK, you have a few scenarios that you can play out.

Keep in mind that you could always get the Marriott Marina which i hear is a fine hotel itself(or some other newly added hotel). If you absolutely want the Embassy Suites, you may want to consider Hotwire which shows a 3.5* with the Suite icon (believed by past history to be the Embassy Suites) for $67/nite. If you'd rather try to get something cheaper and "risk" getting the Marriott Marina (or some other newly added hotel) then....

My guess is that it will take a bid of $57, as there have been hotels won in late-Oct and mid-Nov at this rate. However, since you have one re-bid zone available, you can try to low-ball it at first if you desire, if so:

Bid 3* at $51, if rejected (likely) then...

Add your re-bid zone and bid $57

If you have any questions regarding any of the above (like what your re-bid zone is), feel free to ask. As i always offer as well, i can make myself available to "walk you thru the process" via Instant Messenger (AOL or Yahoo) so that i can explain each screen to you as you bid on your own computer OR just answer any questions you have along the way.

If there are no add'l questions, let us know if you plan on going the Hotwire or Priceline route, and how you make out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I checked rates at the ES website and rooms for your nite are going for $300/nite! (usual rate is ~$200), so that could explain the availability issue. I even called the hotel to double check the rate, and it is indeed $300. The reservation agent didn't know of any "event" in town that weekend, but did say that availability is a little lower than usual for a date a few months away.

Based upon my experiences, the next "level" for an accepted bid is at $75, so i dont think that $62 would be accepted (although it doesn't hurt to try!). If it were me, I would probably try $63 just to "see" if it worked, and if rejected i would go with the $67/nite 3.5* suite via Hotwire thinking that it is indeed the Embassy Suites being offered (assuming that is within the budget that you wanted to spend). You should CHECK HERE first to make certain the amenities are the same.

BTW, i notice you said that your stay is for 3 nites, but 10/30-11/1 is only 2 nites, just want to make sure you have the correct number of nites or dates for your stay.

Let us know what you decided to do and the results, i'm anxious to see how this one turns out. Of course, any questions, feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What the heck, I'll give Priceline another try at $63. I am correct in naming Miramar as another zone, Right?

Thanks for your concern regarding the number of night. I do need the rooms for 3 nights, I just didn't include the checkout date when I posted the dates :)

BTW, I've figured out what event is taking place at that: the boat show!! :)

Yes, as i type this, Miramar only offers 2* and 2.5* hotels, so if you're bidding 3* in the Downtown area it is considered a re-bid zone.

I forgot to mention also, that you should be aware (although it's not necessarily a bad thing) that you could be upgraded to a 4* hotel in the area (neither the ES or Marriott Marina); although i think for this zone, and higher than usual occupancy, $63 isn't likely high enough to get upgraded to 4*.

Anyone reading this in the future, hotels are added at any time, so be sure to check for yourself (or ask if you are unsure) if the above zone is still a re-bid zone.

Glad it worked out for you!!

If you'd be so kind, could you post your "win" in the Hotwire thread?

I will then add a link to this thread which directly connects to your Hotwire results.

I guess this is an instance where Hotwire was able to beat Priceline, and an example of why it's important to check both services. I would guess that Priceline would have required a $75 or $83 bid to be successful (if at all), which are other "levels" of accepted bids.

Bottom line is that you got what you wanted, and for that i'm thankful. It's also an incredible rate over the $300/nite they're asking!

Have a great trip (although i know for you, it couldn't get here soon enough :) )

CLICK HERE to see the post that resulted on Hotwire

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]